Star Seller Badge removed because I did not respond as a buyer to a generic message from a seller

Jump to solution

I received a generic message from a seller whom I purchased something from. I did not bother responding and my star seller badge was removed.

I would say this qualifies as a glitch that needs to be corrected.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Star Seller Badge removed because I did not respond as a buyer to a generic message from a selle

Jump to solution
This is not a glitch, this is how it works and there's nothing for Etsy to correct.
The rules for the star have been extremely clear for over 1 year now.
There're a gazillion posts about this.
It's on your dashboard on the star seller page, it's on the help articles.

From the dashboard page:

Reply to the first message within 24 hours

Just the first message in the thread counts, not the ongoing convo.

Messages that you mark as spam don’t count.

Set up an auto-reply when you’re unavailable. It counts as a reply.

From the help pages:

The Message response rate only applies to the first message in a thread. Initial messages from both buyers and sellers on Etsy are counted towards the Message response rate. 

How to Become a Star Seller – Etsy Help

View solution in original post

5 Likes

Re: Star Seller Badge removed because I did not respond as a buyer to a generic message from a selle

Jump to solution

It's accurate according to Etsy's criteria. It clearly says in the star seller info that buyers from both buyers and sellers count. 

View solution in original post

2 Likes
9 Replies

Jump to solution

It's not a glitch. The star seller info clearly states every message must be answered or put into spam. Bots can't tell the difference between buyer and seller.

4 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Not all all a glitch. Read the criteria for Star Seller.

2 Likes

Jump to solution
This is not a glitch, this is how it works and there's nothing for Etsy to correct.
The rules for the star have been extremely clear for over 1 year now.
There're a gazillion posts about this.
It's on your dashboard on the star seller page, it's on the help articles.

From the dashboard page:

Reply to the first message within 24 hours

Just the first message in the thread counts, not the ongoing convo.

Messages that you mark as spam don’t count.

Set up an auto-reply when you’re unavailable. It counts as a reply.

From the help pages:

The Message response rate only applies to the first message in a thread. Initial messages from both buyers and sellers on Etsy are counted towards the Message response rate. 

How to Become a Star Seller – Etsy Help

5 Likes

Jump to solution

Unless you have a separate account for all your purchases, then Etsy has no way to determine what the message was about and if a reply is necessary. As was already pointed out, they also specifically already state that all messages, from both buyers and sellers are counted. Your seller could be messaging you because they looked at your shop after you made a purchase and have a question about something in your shop, making them a potential buyer. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

Why, after 1-1/2 years do we have to keep explaining this?

If you want to be a star seller and get the badge, it's strongly suggested that you read the rules of engagement.

4 Likes
BirdsongEmporium
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

With a selling account, Etsy does not attempt to guess what a message is about. They assume messages to a selling account are about selling matters and have set the star seller message metrics up with that assumption. The only alternative would be for Etsy to be reading our messages in some way to determine it was about buying and do we really want Etsy to be reading our messages? So all messages need to be responded to within 24 hours unless they are spam. If by generic message you mean something that could be regarded as spammy, the message can be marked as spam which will take it out of the star seller message calculation. Otherwise, sellers can open accounts they only use to make purchases or make purchases as a guest.

1 Like
OneSoberGypsy
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Just saw that it happened to me too! This star stuff is such bull crap

if they can't handle it accurately it hurts us!!!!!

0 Likes

Jump to solution

It's accurate according to Etsy's criteria. It clearly says in the star seller info that buyers from both buyers and sellers count. 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Mark it as spam and it will drop off.  

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.