Spam folder had messages that were not spam. Took my star seller badge.

On 4/9 I had two potential customer messages go to the spam folder. When I found them, I replied to the customers and removed them from the spam folder. Because this was after 24 hours from the message, it marked negative on my star seller badge. This was not my fault that Etsy put messages in my spam folder that were not spam and now I lose my star seller badge. I was told that Etsy Support can’t make changes to your Star Seller data. Someone should be able to correct this. 

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
9 Replies

Re: Spam folder had messages that were not spam. Took my star seller badge.

1 Like

It sounds like from other threads on the same topic that Etsy is working on fixing this and restoring the badges to those who lost them due to the Etsy error. Hang tight.

1 Like

@FierceEagleLeather  - From the link BagmakerSupply posted, this is part of a response from an Etsy rep:

"We’ve also heard your questions and concerns about how this might impact your Star Seller eligibility, which we wanted to clarify. Messages marked as spam by Etsy will not impact your Star Seller eligibility. If Etsy has marked a message as spam that you subsequently move out of the folder, we’ve ensured that also will not impact your Star Seller eligibility."

Some shop owners have mentioned that Etsy corrected their stats.
There are basically 10 days left for Etsy to make the necessary corrections - usually the last two days of a month are not included in the upcoming star seller badge, which in this case is for May.

Will Etsy get every shop's stats corrected? I honestly don't know especially since it almost seems as if Etsy believes they have made the necessary changes on the unseen tech-side of this problem.

1 Like

It's not even so much the star seller impact, it's the lost sales, pissed off CURRENT customers who's messages are going to spam, and all the lost time and angst over fixing all the layers of wrong this has caused sellers. There's a report that spam errors caused by etsy won't impact a seller, yet even as of today, a week after that post, there are sellers still reporting that support won't fix things.

I've really been spinning on this one, trying not to say anything disparaging or speculative about how this is happening and how is it being fixed, I can't figure out a way to notify any potential customers that their messages might be going to spam, wasting time checking folders and then having anxiety that I might forget and miss a day checking my spam folder.

Like many people, I already have enough to worry about in life outside etsy that the compounded issues here are making more of an impact on my sanity.  How do you make any kind of announcement to potential buyers about this problem without sounding like an idiot?

5 Likes

Put the messages back into your spam folder.

When this happened to me, the first thing I thought was if it stays in spam, it won't count as a late reply. As long as the recipient is getting replies from me, and is able to reply back, there's no reason to move it out, as clearly Etsy would count that as a late response.  It's Etsy who put it there in the first place, causing the reply to be late.

1 Like

This has happened to me too. I was able to talk to an Etsy person on the phone and he just kept insisting that my message had not gone into spam, which I knew it had. I've now lost my Star Seller badge and I'm at 81%. There's no way to get this up to 95% as I get so few messages. It's frustrating for sure.

1 Like

Is it still counting against you within the spam folder? Or did you move it out?

0 Likes

That's got to be the disconnect, because it's not in the spam folder anymore. Even though etsy put it there in the first place.

You've got an admin posting that it won't affect your SS rating but it doesn't say to leave the message there. Any logical thinking would be for a seller to recognize a legit message and then, like in my regular email program, there's a button that says, "Not spam," and I move it to my inbox.

This should be in the dictionary as the new definition of "Catch-22".

4 Likes

@FunkyJunkyVintage 

The logical rules we'd use in real life don't apply to Etsy messages, I guess. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.