Shop currently suspended without explanation or warning

First a clarification: I am writing from my husband's profile because I no longer have the option of writing on the forum from my own profile. My name is Adriana and my shop name is FloroMondo.
This is a message on my dashboard, but I haven't received any emails (I also checked my spam folder):
"Your account is currently suspended.
Please check your email for a message explaining why, and how to restore your account. If you have further questions, contact Etsy support."
I hope that someone from the staff will see and react because I can't believe I have to wait up to 2 weeks to get a reply (that's what it says when you file an appeal).
I know there are many reasons an account can be suspended and I'm trying to figure out what's going on and how to fix it. The devastating fact for an Etsy seller is that after 10 years of successful business on Etsy and thousands of dollars paid to Etsy and after many Star Seller badges in a row, I do not receive a warning email or an explanation why my account has been suspended. The Star Seller badge is not a guarantee that I have not violated Etsy policy, but it shows how I treat my work and my customers. I no longer have the chat option that I had as a Star Seller and I can't get any quick help. Etsy is my main source of income and every day I don't work is a huge loss for me. Through hard work, I've gotten to the point where I have several sales a day and this suspension will be a huge blow to my budget. I also need to pay a large Etsy bill before it becomes overdue and that won't be possible with the shop suspension. I just want information from Etsy on what I need to do to get my suspension lifted.
It is clear to me that none of my fellow sellers on the forum can help speed up the process, but I also want to make you aware that this can happen to anyone overnight. I have read many posts about suspension for many different reasons (from 2 shops using the same IP address to a simple mistake). I was not aware of that, nor the fact that Etsy support takes a long time to react and step in.
It would be nice if Etsy treated us sellers like we treat our customers, because at the end of the day, that's what we are, Etsy customers.

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
15 Replies

Re: Shop currently suspended without explanation or warning

Your shop page (through a google search) is completely gone, which means the suspension is likely permanent. I also found the instagram account linked to your shop, and if you were selling the illegal Nike and Pink Panther goods in your etsy shop, then that is why your shop was suspended.

0 Likes

I really hope it's not permanent. No, I'm not selling anything like that, it was my children's shoes that I took a picture of and shared on Instagram. I sell items for weddings and party decor in my suspended shop.

0 Likes

Contact Etsy support.

Although Etsy seems to occasionally look at the forums, its a very iffy way to get Etsy's attention.

When you say to need to pay an Etsy bill ... is there any chance that could be the reason you're suspended? It happened to me once a long time ago - I owed them some money at the end of the month and didn't notice and they suspended my account until I paid up. Since then, I put my account on autopay to prevent that from happening again.

0 Likes

I contacted Etsy support, that's the first thing I did. As for posting on the forum, some sellers claim that it helped them (I've read many posts about suspension). And regarding the bill, I don't have Etsy payment because it is not available in my country and my bills are due on Aug 15th of every month. I always pay by this date and it has never been a problem. The shop doesn't close even after that date, you just get some restrictions regarding setting up new listings, etc.

0 Likes

You had a lot of smiley's, which are trademarked

and Wednesday Addams

1 Like

Here Comes the Sun is also copyrighted.

0 Likes

I hadn't thought of that, it's obviously bad practice to look at what many other shops are selling on Etsy. I wonder why there isn't some kind of filter when adding a listing of such items or words that are banned or trademarked if this is the case. This would help a lot and prevent many confusions.

0 Likes

There is a massive trademark database, it covers words and logos,

etsy doesn't police them the law is ..... you can't use them, and the trademark holder has to police them

Smiley has done purges here before, the ones you see now, are the ones they missed last time, or ones that have appeared since

this is the worldwide trademark database

https://branddb.wipo.int/en/quicksearch?sort=score%20desc&start=0&rows=30&asStructure=%7B%22boolean%...

1 Like
KGarnerDesigns
Conversation Maker

I see trademarked items, and I also wonder if your shop policies are in line with EU regulations? I don't ship outside the USA so I'm not up to date on that.

0 Likes

Yes, I understand, thanks for the information. However, when you enter "smiley" in the Etsy search engine, you get more than 227,000 products to choose from, from jewelry to home decor. Isn't it simpler to put some kind of alert on the word "smiley", like when you enter a wrong number or an illegal character, especially if there was already a removal of the "smiley" listing before? Obviously I'm not an IT expert but it would be logical I guess.

So Etsy has no responsibility for allowing the sale of trade marked items (and makes good money from it), only sellers?

0 Likes
KGarnerDesigns
Conversation Maker

It doesn't matter if a thousand other sellers are breaking the rules too - some will get caught and some won't.

No, Etsy does not police trademarks and copyrights. As I believe someone else mentioned, it's up to the owner of the copyrighted / trademarked material to find it and report it. It's common for them to do regular sweeps of online marketplaces to look for illegal merch.

3 Likes

Trademark holders legally have to police their trademarks, its part of the obligation when you apply for it.

Etsy does give guidance, but they don't legally police it, as they have safe harbor status

from etsy

https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/22398703823

0 Likes

It's good to know. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way. I've been selling wedding items for years and only last year started selling paper party decorations with different themes, which is no excuse, but it would be fine if I received an email with information about why my shop was suspended and whether I can fix it or if it's permanent. This is all speculation, I still have no confirmation from Etsy support.It's good to know. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way. I have been selling handmade wedding items for years and have never had anything to do with IP infringement. Only last year I started selling paper party decorations with different themes, which of course is no excuse. However, it would be nice if I received an email with information about why my shop was suspended and whether I can fix it or if it is permanent. This is all speculation, I still have no confirmation from Etsy support.

0 Likes

*sorry for duplicate text

0 Likes

I believe the Smiley Company is currently suing sellers infringing on their trademark. Looks like shops are gradually being taken down. I found this

i hope you find a good lawyer, this sounds serious  

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/49370697/The_Smiley_Company_SPRL_v_The_Individuals,_Partner...

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.