Several Deactivations

I have had several listings deactivated. I haven't received an email about them either. I have spent money on another social media platform advertising these listings that weren't active. I took all my own pictures, but yet I believe they were tagged for "stock photos". I mean, I'm flattered they think that, but no that's my hand and photo box. All my best sellers were taken down. I just republished my 3 I have been advertising.

Why is Etsy falsely tagging and taking down listings? This is super frustrating and makes me want to leave the platform. Some of these listings I have been selling for over a year now with no issue. 

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
17 Replies
nineteen27
Community Maker

Re: Several Deactivations

All my best sellers were taken down. I just republished my 3 I have been advertising.

did etsy say you could do that?

if not... you are asking for trouble.

when etsy deactivates an item or items...

you cannot just duplicate those items and list them again.

since you have no idea why they were removed.

how can you say they were falsely taken down?

and guessing at the reason: stock photos.

may not be the reason at all.

you really should remove the items before etsy does it for you.

again.

2 Likes

Some of the listings I looked at make metaphysical claims.  Did the removed listings also make medical/metaphysical claims?

eta - Hoping someone else can check to make sure it's not a glitch on my end.   I clicked on the section 'hearts' which has 6 listings, but only 4 showed up.  The same with other sections I looked at -- Halloween (11) but only 3 appear.  And a couple of sections had no listings showing.  ?? 

2 Likes

I have no medical claims on any of my listings. Metaphysical Crystals is a category on Etsy.

0 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

if you do not make medical claims.

why have this disclaimer:

Disclaimers: The statements on this listing have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. Crystals/gemstones should not be used as a replacement for medical treatment. For medical advice, please consult a licensed healthcare professional.

2 Likes

@MoonRockTradingCo  Yes, there is a category for them, but a seller is still not allowed to say it can heal.  For instance this listing ''Lemon Calcite Crystal Moon Carving - Smooth Polished Stone Sculpture for Healing''.   One bracelet has ''...Selenite crystals that are known for their immense healing properties.'' in the description.

What Can I Sell on Etsy? – Etsy Help

''Supplies related to spell work, such as herbs, crystals, candles, and tinctures, may be sold on Etsy as long as they are not listed with metaphysical claims.''

4 Likes
ExtremeCreation
Conversation Maker

Not sure if it may be some that have ..."Made from genuine clear quartz, known for its radiant energy and healing properties, this tower is not only a beautiful addition to your space, but also a powerful tool for spiritual growth and clarity."

or the.."Properties of Quartz: Cleansing,Healing, Positivity, Harmony" ect.....

I would be very careful using those phrases.

1 Like
ExtremeCreation
Conversation Maker

I looked at your shop and selected the most recent from the drop down menu which shows the 3 coffin boxes. Did you make all the items in the box or did you purchase items already made to make a "gift box"? Not sure if those were some of the ones that were deactivated and then you republished.

2 Likes

Also, after seeing Nineteen27's post regarding your disclaimer, you should be aware that sellers are not allowed to reference the FDA at all.  That could also be the reason your listings were removed. Recently, many sellers have had their listings deactivated for that reason, even when the product is actually approved by the FDA.

@nineteen27 and @ExtremeCreation  When you click on a section in the OP's shop, how many listings show up for you? Do you see 11 listings in the Halloween section?  How many pages of listings do you get when clicking ''all''?

4 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

@TheVintagePineapple 

i only see 3 in the halloween section.

and 6 pages for all but lots of blank spaces.

1 Like

@nineteen27 Thanks for checking!  "All'' only shows me one page with 27 listings.  Could be that the OP's listings have been shadow banned for using FDA?

1 Like
nineteen27
Community Maker

@TheVintagePineapple 

i have no idea.

but i just checked the heart section and only see 4 when there should be 6.

and the wand section shows me 0 when there should be 2.

1 Like
ExtremeCreation
Conversation Maker

What I see when I looked at the shop...

Halloween section says 11 but only shows 3 that are coffin boxes.

All... says 189 but only see 6 pages and some are not full so I don't think its 189 listings.

1 Like
Rosie247
Conversation Maker

"this bracelet combines fashion and healing energy in one beautiful package. "

You are making illegal medicinal claims about your jewelry. You can't claim it has healing energy or say it will take away any kind of illness, including depression. It's jewelry, nothing more, nothing less. Having your items deactivated is the least of your worries. Not only could the government make you refund all the money you earned to your buyers, but they could also give you a hefty fine.

5 Likes

As someone with a chronic condition this makes me so mad.  I have enough age and sense to ignore woo claims but those newly diagnosed and desperate may just try a rock over evidence based treatments.  Those who can't afford healthcare treatments/medications are even more vulnerable.  If effective medical invention is  time dependent, trying a "healing" rock before realising it's not working, may be a death sentence.  

10 Likes

Using the either of the terms "healing" and "Food and Drug Administration" can get your listings taken down. I saw both in your current listings. Right or wrong, if you want to keep your listings up, it's best to remove words that Etsy's bots scan for.

0 Likes
EnergyPeace
Conversation Maker

I don't know if it was for your healing claims, stuff got deactivated. 

But to all those jumping on "healing". Go to search and put in "healing". The result is tons and Etsy also suggest their related searches, which are as follows "healing crystals", "healing bracelets", "healing crystal necklace", "healing stones", ""healing crystal bracelet", ""healing candle", "healing salve".

This is what people search for, and if Etsy has bots that remove "healing" claims, maybe they shouldn't suggest searches like this. 

It also sucks for those not doing this and trying to follow rules cause this is what people search for or Etsy suggest them to look for. 

And to OP, anyone giving their opinions here is just guessing as much as you. No one really knows why someone's listings get taken down, and often I don't even think Etsy knows it themselves since they put the listings back up again when notified. 

0 Likes
ExtremeCreation
Conversation Maker

Per Etsy's House Rules:

https://www.etsy.com/legal/policy/medical-claims/239976157654?ref=list

Medical Claims

On Etsy, an item is considered to have made a Medical Claim if it suggests or states either of the following:

• Disease Claim: Claims that an item prevents, heals, or treats, diagnoses, mitigates, or cures a medical condition or disease.
  • Structure/Function Claim: Claims that an item will affect the structure or function of the body.

Contact Etsy support to know for sure as to why your listings got removed. 

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.