I purchased an item, payment was instantaneous. Within the hour I saw the same item, pictures and description on a sold listing on eBay.  I attempted to cancel the order but the only recourse I could find was to sent the seller a message which I did explaining the eBay listing and to return my payment.  
There was no answer to that message or the second one I sent. Here is where it gets really strange. I then received an email from noreply@etsy.com with the tracking number.  I followed the shipment as it went through different USPS locations.  The next email, again from the Etsy address notified me that the item was delivered.  
But here’s the thing I was home out front and while a mail truck did drive by at that time it didn’t stop.  I chased the truck and driver down.  I showed him the emails and notification of delivery.  He said it if it were to of been delivered he was the guy and no he didn’t deliver to my address.  He checked on his phone and said it’s very odd as he found it said delivered but he knows he didn’t deliver to my address.  He did not have anything for my address.   I will follow up tomorrow with the post office to see if that tracking number did come through (was scanned) in and then out of the facility.  
Backing up in this explanation after not being able to find anyway to reach Etsy to get help I turned to PayPal which allowed me to put a claim on the payment.  I today I found I could report the shop but the choices were not very appropriate for this situation, I still made a report.  (The same problem with the message to the seller but again I chose the best of the four options).  Interestingly since I made the purchase there is a review on the shop, one star warning people the shop is a scam beware and don’t buy from it. 
This is what I believe is going on-  the seller steals photos and descriptions from eBay, lists it for sale here.  Someone falls for the scam (me) the seller stretch’s the time out by (in appearance at least) showing a purchased mailing label, the item mailed and it going through various USPS locations and lastly a delivery day.  The twist is it shows all of this and that it’s been delivered.  It was luck that I was there, saw the truck, caught up with the driver, confirmed there wasn’t a delivery, and got the drivers name.  
Most people are at work, they come home find no box try to make a claim but there’s no insurance on the box and everyone says it was delivered.  The person then thinks that a pouch pirate sole it and they’re the victim of theft.  They are except the thief is the seller.  
What I don’t understand is how does this scam gets the USPS to show a package with a tracking number that looks like it is legitimately in their system and then delivered. It wasn’t, the USPS employee backs me up, there was no box or delivery.

This has the feel of something much more prolific than my order.  I’m at a total loss as to how the USPS is being manipulated.  Or were the emails all false?  Is so why does the same info appear on my Etsy account page?

At this time I have had no response from PayPal about my claim.  Etsy says I have to wait until September 7 to open a claim or case.  It truly feels like I am going to be left the victim of this scam, it was an expensive item. Etsy where are you? How many other customers have fallen victim to this? Someone please take this seriously and reach out to me.  Even the labels here don’t allow for the appropriate selections. 

bradgoodell
Community Maker

Re: Seller has created a scam need advice

Filing a case with Etsy if you've already been refunded by PayPal does nothing, really.  Etsy will close the case.

Leave appropriate feedback.  Clear, concise, no name-calling, just the facts.  You want to leave a review that doesn't violate Etsy's policies, so the seller cannot get it removed.  Don't say "USPS didn't deliver it" say "The post office confirmed the tracking number didn't match my address".  

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
MeerkatsManor
Conversation Maker

Few years ago I ordered a vacuum cleaner on ebay to be shipped from an Asian country. Few days later tracking shows delivered by Fedex (1st clue). Fedex tracking did not show name or address at that time, and seller knew this. I called Fedex, and a lady who wanted to be helpful gave me info stating flowers were delivered (sender in NY) to a nearby address with that tracking number. New scam I guess, and my explanation went right over the ebay contact's head, but they gave me a one-time refund. The seller was still listing the vacuums for sale. Some time later I received an apologetic email from ebay stating they goofed. I assume they figured it out. Crooks think of everything.

0 Likes
AVintageTreasury
Conversation Maker

It seems to be a new scam, I have found numerous ‘brand new’ shops here that have stolen expensive sold listings from eBay and are listing them here for a fraction of the price to con buyers into thinking they’re getting a bargain. Every time one of these scammers gets shut down they open a new shop with the exact same stolen listings. I’ve found that if you can identify the eBay seller and warn them what’s happening so they can report it that seems to get the scammer shut down much faster

0 Likes
littlegemstudio
Inspiration Seeker

Update, PayPal sent a message that Etsy has issued a refund.  I am very relieved.  Not sure where it’s issue too, gives my bank’s name but no funds deposited. Not sure how long Etsy has to actually deposit the money.

Etsy has shut the account/seller/store down as well.  Again thank you all.  Without each of you I wouldn’t of known how to track down the facts which substantiate what happened.  

2 Likes
ExtremeCreation
Conversation Maker

So happy to hear that you got some resolution.

As for the money, it may be applied to the card on file with Etsy and it may take a few days for it to be credited back to your account. After a few days, I would check back with the bank.

0 Likes

I use the " specific person's signature " option on high value items. Thanks for this post I think all of us will be on the lookout.

0 Likes
roaminate
Conversation Maker

Thank you for sharing. Many of us are now armed with wisdom in how to handle this tricky fraud situation. Very glad to hear you got refunded and that the shop got shutdown. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.