Scams

Hi. Keep getting scams in my messages. Last one said it was from staff employee.  Because of global security updates, my account is currently suspended.  Then asking for my details and to click on a link. Which I didn't do.  It's happening all time now. Had 4 since December. 

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
8 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Scams

Just mark as spam.

0 Likes

If the message does NOT appear in your "From Etsy" folder on message page then it is a scam - mark as SPAM and then forget about it.

0 Likes

Unfortunately I get these also. Scams and spams

0 Likes

Did you look at your shop to see if it was suspended? If your shop is still open then that should be a good indication that the message is fake. If your shop is suspended then go to Etsy through Etsy not the message or email. 

0 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

I'm really sorry you've been targeted by scammers, Belinda; and multiple times as well. There has been an infestation of them here unfortunately, targeting new Sellers as well as seasoned ones. Oftentimes, they appear shortly after someone lists their first item/s. These thieves are using "Verification" as one of their scams, posing as Etsy Staff/Support, etc.   When you receive a LEGIT Message from Etsy Support/Staff, etc., it will appear in the "From Etsy" Folder (in Messages). If it isn't there, Mark the Message as Spam (so you don't get dinged for S Seller).  *The "From Etsy" Folder is not on the App, however (you must use a browser instead).

Also for future, many scammers are posing as "Buyers", stating they need your email for an Order. They don't, Etsy already has it. When you receive a LEGIT Order, it will appear in "Orders & Shipping" (Left Column of Shop Dashboard); if it isn't there, you have no Order.  Mark the scammer's Message as Spam (so you don't get dinged for S Seller).  And never click on links or engage with them.

Honestly, I don't get why Etsy can't nail these FAKE accounts who are impersonating Etsy Staff/Support, etc. It's happening way too often. Here is the Announcement about the "From Etsy" Folder (currently this is in past Announcements).
https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/New-From-Etsy-section-in-Messages/m-p/143722497#M1899

Here is the other Announcement "Protect Your Account from Scammers" (it too, is in past Announcements, after having been re-pinned at the top of the Forum for a short time).
https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/Protect-Your-Account-From-Scammers/m-p/143158945#M1882

Hope this is helpful to you, and I hope this cr-p ceases for you and for others.

0 Likes

I've had 3 messages in two days claiming to be from "Etsy Verification" they're getting worse.

I think Etsy needs to make a public statement to warn others as not everyone reads the forums. I hear stories about people getting their accounts hacked and bank details changed. 

I would also recommend turning on two factor authentication and not give out your email address as this is how they start the hack.

0 Likes
DBLegend
Inspiration Seeker

I have received 103 messages since I have opened my shop on Jan 26 (in less than 10 days). It is soooo annoying. Never experienced this on Etsy. And I have been a seller on here for more than 10 years!!!

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.