Hi all ...

I recently started selling on Etsy and (apparently) made the first sale today. Buyer has no history or anything else to verify them, that I can see. I do have a name and address to send to.

Within hours of this sale I get two emails purporting to be from Etsy, asking for my email address and demanding verification (etc). But they are typical of the scammers emails frequently reported on the forum, and they are not in the From Etsy folder. So I'll spam them.

But I'm suspicious of this 'sale' now. Soon after it happened I got an email from Etsy telling me to verify my bank account for payments (not having used it here before), fair enough. I'm still waiting for the 'amount' to show in my bank acc so I can 'verify' the account, it's been 5 hours now, but I don't see anywhere to enter that deposit sum in my Etsy dashboard.

What makes me suspicious of the sale though is the fact the two emails from scammers arrived within hours of the sale and align with Etsy's requirement to verify a new members bank acc. Is the sale genuine and the scammers are just piggybacking on it, knowing Etsy's verification procedures? Or might they be linked to the 'buyer?

Or how do I verify the sale is genuine?

Re: Scam Sale?

Jump to solution

Have you checked Finances>Payment Settings? It has been a while since I had to do this, but if I remember right, that is where the box shows up to add the small deposits.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like

Jump to solution

In my new shop it took a couple of days before the small deposit was there.  Just keep checking.  When it does show, there’ll be a link (a real one)in your Finance/Payment folder to enter the amount.  Keep all communication on your Dashboard…don’t follow any links from “Messages”.  Etsy will never communicate with you through “Messages”.  I would treat any conversation with “Etsy” as suspicious if it originated in “Messages”.

Congrats on the sale!!

1 Like

Jump to solution

Thanks ... I'll do that.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.