Sale price displaying wrong by over two orders of magnitude.

Jump to solution

This is the listing I'm referring to (not one of my own):

[REMOVED] 

While searching for something else, I happened to notice the listing linked abve for an instant download, and I clicked on it just out of curiosity because of how low the price was on the search page. It showed a regular price of $0.50 (possible with a download, though lower than I would go, because you'd end up with literally a penny or two in profit after Etsy's fees), and it was 50% off, for a current sale price of $0.25 (and therefore a loss, after fees, but, hey, that's the seller's business, if they want to do that). But when I clicked on it, the sale price was showing as $27.90, even though the crossed out regular price still showed as $0.50. If the regular price really is 50¢ and the sale really is supposed to  be 50% off and thus 25¢, then the sale price showing is more than 100 times what it should be.

Has anyone else ever seen this kind of thing? I wouldn't have any idea how to make one of my listings do that even if for some reason I wanted to, so I'm thinking it has to be some kind of software error on Etsy's end, doesn't it?

Coincidentally (or maybe not coincidentally?), there's an ad for another listing with a similar title in the "You may also like" section at the bottom of the listing that really does seem to have a sale price of $27.90. (I'm not going to click on it because unlike the one linked, it's an adult item, and I don't want Etsy showing those to me for months to come, so I don't know if it's the same seller or not.)

Am I just reading it wrong and not understanding what it really says? I hesitate to click "Report this item to Etsy," because it's not that I'm accusing the seller of doing anything wrong. I'm just thinking that if they were really trying to list a sale item at 25¢, the price displayed instead is completely messing up their strategy (whatever it is).

Trish O'Connor
Owner, Epiclesis Consulting LLC

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sale price displaying wrong by over two orders of magnitude.

Jump to solution

Please do not share links to Shops or Listings  (a.k.a. "calling out"), or their names for that matter. Please be mindful that this is a safety measure for you and everyone else potentially involved in the matter, which is why this is such an important aspect of our Community Policies. For that reason, your OP has been edited.

View solution in original post

1 Like
8 Replies
nineteen27
Community Maker

Jump to solution

there is definitely something weird happening with that listing.

i see the same thing as you.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Ditto.  Others have been here complaining of issues with sale prices displaying improperly these past weeks.  Also interesting is the one buyer who left a review in the listing ... the one with and E logo icon.  Is that Etsy buying or just a brazen buyer?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Please do not share links to Shops or Listings  (a.k.a. "calling out"), or their names for that matter. Please be mindful that this is a safety measure for you and everyone else potentially involved in the matter, which is why this is such an important aspect of our Community Policies. For that reason, your OP has been edited.

1 Like

Jump to solution

I hope no one thinks I was at all criticizing the seller. Like I said, it's their business how to price their items. I just feel bad for them, because I just feel sure their listing isn't displaying the way they intended. If someone does buy it, who knows what amount it will charge them?

Trish O'Connor

0 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

Jump to solution

i did not think you were calling out a seller.

there is no way they could price it like that themselves.

it has to be an etsy glitch.

1 Like

Jump to solution

I’ve seen similar listings several times. “Bait n Switch”

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@RustyCrustyRepurpose 

But how if they wanted to do it on purpose, how would they even do it?

Trish O'Connor

1 Like

Jump to solution

@EpiclesisConsulting That's what I would like to know also.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.