BokoiSlime
Inspiration Seeker

SCAMMER Alert‼️

Jump to solution

I have a customer messaged for email address. Screenshot this is what he needs to complete purchase. I thought it was a it strange but thinking it might be new function from Etsy. Gave the person my email. Then I received an email from Etsy.au - Team showing a click button for ‘Receive Payment’. I clicked on it then it ask for my credit card details. Thanks to my bank it ask for verification code and the text message I received for the code was to receive thousands of Euros. Then I realised this is a scam and my bank also blocked my card due to suspicious activity. I really thankful to my bank.

Please don’t give out email when customer ask for it for payment! They can pay on Etsy platform.

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
3 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: SCAMMER Alert‼️

Jump to solution
4 Likes

Jump to solution

@BokoiSlime New sellers especially should read up on important info on getting paid, about scams, what can or cannot be sold here, fees, etc BEFORE ever opening a shop.

A buyer will NEVER need your email to complete a payment nor your bank info, credit card info. 
Etsy will never ask for you to send money to your bank account for you to receive payments.
These etsy sites, screen shots they send you are FAKE etsy sites.

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115014503608-How-to-Get-Paid-on-Etsy

Etsy Payments is the main way to get paid on Etsy. With Etsy Payments, buyers can use most payment methods to purchase from your shop.
You get direct deposits to your bank account.

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000343128-How-to-Handle-Spam-and-Suspicious-Messages

The following characteristics or any combination of them may indicate the message is a scam:

Asking for additional items to be added to their order. For example, asking sellers to purchase and include a highly priced gift card with their order and promising to pay them back later.

Claiming they want to purchase items listed in a link which is actually malware or a link to a phishing site.

Offering to send you more money than you are asking for your item? This is known as an overpayment scam.

Insisting you reply via a personal email address, off of Etsy? A buyer who immediately insists on communicating off of our site may be questionable.

Seeming to not have read or looked at your listing, based on their vague questions.

Refusing to go through Etsy Checkout, thereby disqualifying the transaction from any Etsy protection.

Having a particular interest in an item of relatively high value. Scammers tend to focus on mid and high-value listings.

View solution in original post

3 Likes
15 Replies

Jump to solution
4 Likes
DesertChains
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

This is a scam. Don’t respond or provide any personal or financial information. Send it to spam.

Make it part of your daily routine to visit the forums. You can learn so much about ongoing concerns, problems, glitches, and scams. Stay informed!

For the full discussion about recent scams, see here: https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/How-to-Spot-a-Scam-No-a-Buyer-Doesn-t-Need-Your-Ema...

3 Likes
SugarTaffySoap
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@BokoiSlime  Yes, there's plenty of scam complaints in the forums. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

@BokoiSlime New sellers especially should read up on important info on getting paid, about scams, what can or cannot be sold here, fees, etc BEFORE ever opening a shop.

A buyer will NEVER need your email to complete a payment nor your bank info, credit card info. 
Etsy will never ask for you to send money to your bank account for you to receive payments.
These etsy sites, screen shots they send you are FAKE etsy sites.

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115014503608-How-to-Get-Paid-on-Etsy

Etsy Payments is the main way to get paid on Etsy. With Etsy Payments, buyers can use most payment methods to purchase from your shop.
You get direct deposits to your bank account.

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000343128-How-to-Handle-Spam-and-Suspicious-Messages

The following characteristics or any combination of them may indicate the message is a scam:

Asking for additional items to be added to their order. For example, asking sellers to purchase and include a highly priced gift card with their order and promising to pay them back later.

Claiming they want to purchase items listed in a link which is actually malware or a link to a phishing site.

Offering to send you more money than you are asking for your item? This is known as an overpayment scam.

Insisting you reply via a personal email address, off of Etsy? A buyer who immediately insists on communicating off of our site may be questionable.

Seeming to not have read or looked at your listing, based on their vague questions.

Refusing to go through Etsy Checkout, thereby disqualifying the transaction from any Etsy protection.

Having a particular interest in an item of relatively high value. Scammers tend to focus on mid and high-value listings.

3 Likes
Hertfordweaver
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I really wish Etsy would send all new sellers an alert for this issue. It seems there are scammers searching these platforms for new sellers. It seems to be rampant.

4 Likes
XanaSu
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Lost 140 eur today! I have got a message on my ETSY app that I got an order, it is my first time and I took it normal to reply to the message from Etsy app. All looked very realistic until money gone from my account and message disappeared . Feel myself so stupid. Did not expect that I can not trust the message from Etsy official application! Really scared of next sale!

2 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@XanaSu So sorry to hear this!  Contact your bank, they may be able to help you.

for future reference:  When you get a sale on Etsy, that sale will appear on your shop dashboard, and the money will appear in your shop payment account.

No sale on the dashboard, it's either fake, or the buyer's payment wasn't approved.  

If Etsy ever needs information from you, that will also appear on your shop dashboard.  

Take care and good luck.

2 Likes
DestiAnn
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Etsy needs to do something about this as this happened to me today. I just hope I will be refunded 

0 Likes

Jump to solution
1 Like
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@DestiAnn  There is a literal warning on every message:

"To stay protected, stay on Etsy.  Never follow links to other sites, and don't share contact, account, or financial info with anyone in Messages. Learn how to spot spam."

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I’m so glad I’m not the only one! This has just happened to me luckily like you the bank ask me to verify and showed me the amount they were trying to take, scary! 

0 Likes
DestiAnn
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

This happened to me today and unfortunately they took some money out of my account. I reported it to my bank hopefullyI can get a refund. I was asked to do a verification on my bank account by someone pretending to be work for Etsy support team 

0 Likes
DestiAnn
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thanks for all the replies. But when you’re a new seller there’s alot to take in so you can easily fall for it especially if your trying to get use to the platform. 

0 Likes
Hertfordweaver
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@DestiAnn 

I'm so sorry this has happened. The only advise I have now is to contact your bank and report what has happened.

0 Likes
DestiAnn
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you. I’ve reported it to my bank and they confirmed it was a scam and looking into it. Fingers crossed. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.