Rare plant listings

Jump to solution

Has anyone had issues with their listings for rare plants? Our customers reached out saying they couldn’t see our listings and we called Etsy and were told there’s some new USDA regulations. When I reached out and called them they didn’t provide any current information regarding new restrictions.

Labels (3)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rare plant listings

Jump to solution

@Zoegrowz @AroidzOasis @planningworld I worked for USDA for 20 years (not APHIS, though), and it's often difficult to find information on any of their sites.  I do think you may get some form of answer by contacting USDA by phone, email, or chat.  Contact information is on this site https://ask.usda.gov/s/contactsupport.  Good luck.  You may get shuffled to from one department to another, but persistence pays off.

View solution in original post

1 Like
38 Replies
bitsyshandmade
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Unless you are following your state's regulations for selling live plants on line, you may have an issue.  There are even some states in the US that you can't ship plants to.  You need to check the USDA website and also your state's for more information.  

Sellers of live plants have to have a license to sell plants on-line since they may transmit diseases, insects, etc., in the soil.  Any live plants I have ordered from a licensed nursery have "live plants" marked on the box they are shipped in.  

1 Like

Jump to solution

Yeah, we haven’t had issues since we started and I checked with my state. Nothing has changed as of today but the Etsy representative stated there were some changes but did not provide documentation as promised. 

1 Like
VerdurePlantCo
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Well, this was really good to know. I know this is an old forum so idk if anyone will see this. 

I sell the same type of plants. I am having some issues right now with my shop, but not that. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I can see your listings except for the jungle fever philodendron, which shows as not available in my region.  I live in Arkansas.  There are restrictions on what states some plants can be shipped to.  Perhaps that is affecting visibility of some listings? 

1 Like

Jump to solution

I’ve not seen this before, the first 2 listings are not available in my region. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

Yeah that’s the problem we are running into, no explanation at all anywhere nor on Etsy or the USDA site. I called my state number and the restrictions they have are for certain fruit and vegetable plants (seeds). 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

If the plant is toxic or deemed a noxious or invasive species there will be issues. What was the plant? Someone the other day was mad about daturas being removed but they are toxic.

1 Like
PlantConnects
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I had chats with Etsy support today. One representative said my titles and tags need to be revised and another one said they violated the guidelines on selling plants. But I have no clue what violated and what didn’t.

0 Likes
planningworld
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Yes, I called Etsy regarding the same problem. The customer representative lady said it was a new USDA regulation and they just started implementing today.

I submitted a ticket and hopefully will get more answers from them.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply. We submitted a ticket as well. I have researched their claims and they appear to be false. USDA has nothing about it. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

Plants, Herbs, Seeds and Soil - Our House Rules | Etsy Also if it is endangered you can't sell them There are listed, if you click the further links it this link and even then Etsy may just decide they don't allow it even if not listed. Someone had blue (opium) poppies removed the other day too..unwashed seeds and pods. This list was updated today so the reason is probably there someplace. It seems much longer than it used to be.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Experiencing the same issue! Etsy support could not explain exactly what the problem was. I sell Philodendrons. They ARE NOT on any ban list. There are still Etsy sellers selling the same plants with no problems at all. Im hoping this is a algorithm problem that gets fixed soon. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Never had an issue with USDA/APHIS on a state or country level. Anytime my plant mail has been chosen for "random inspection" they let me plants move on. They are mostly concerned with citrus plants and bugs they carry. I only sell Philodendron.

0 Likes
PlantConnects
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Now I understand why one of the customer support told me to change the keywords. They use the bots to search the keywords that violate the rules

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@Zoegrowz @AroidzOasis @planningworld I worked for USDA for 20 years (not APHIS, though), and it's often difficult to find information on any of their sites.  I do think you may get some form of answer by contacting USDA by phone, email, or chat.  Contact information is on this site https://ask.usda.gov/s/contactsupport.  Good luck.  You may get shuffled to from one department to another, but persistence pays off.

1 Like

Jump to solution

Thank you so much! 

1 Like

Jump to solution

Posted in another thread but will repeat - Make sure the plants are not considered invasive in the buyer's State.
Some States will have problems with the soil as much as a plant that you are shipping.
Use your About Section to post your State Horticultural License/Inspection number.
Be sure to follow all State, Federal & USPS' regulations when shipping.

Will also add - if you have are questioned by a buyer about the unavailability of a plant in their region (yes, I noticed this on one of the OP's listings) I believe the majority of States have their websites regarding rules & regulations on plants. What can or cannot be shipped, licensing required, invasive species, etc. 
The websites may be government run or many times the sites are maintained through on the the State's Universities. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

This isn’t accurate at all. USDA and APHIS enforces at the federal level. The tropical house plants are not on any lists. 

4 Likes

Jump to solution

Im having the same problem. Only 8 of my 36 active listings are viewable on my page

1 Like

Jump to solution

We all need to open cases. Somethinghas to be wrong. 

7 Likes
TheArtesianAlley
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

hi! we also having same problem only few listing are showing ...

0 Likes
ThePotShopllc
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I sell plants and they aren't rare, they are mint that I bought from this state and I am getting the 'Sorry, this item is unavailable in your region' message. I checked my states banned plants list and none of them are on it.

Out of 16 listings all of my best sellers are gone and I have 6 on my page. This really bugs me, I opened up a case.

1 Like
GreenLeavesJoy
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Same problem.
I'm selling philodendron and pothos, neither are invasive where I live.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Plant sellers, Etsy is concerned about plants that are toxic to children and pets. Many common house plants will fall in that category and under Etsy's Terms of Use, you may not sell toxic or poisonous items.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.