Problem with deactivating promo code

Hi,

I really don't know what hapened. I set more than 3 weeks ago a promo code for recently favorited listing and latter when I want to quit offering this type of discount I found that I can't deactivate it, that it is active for all listings and for all time. There is no deactivating possibility. Since then I contacted multiple times Etsy support  for a resolution and got not solution, just a kind answer that the issue was sent to engineering team. It's a verry unpleasant situation. As I see it is an issue affecting lot of sellers. Is there some of you who got a pozitive solution? In the meantime i've delisted all my shop in order to not risk sales at a loss. I feel verry unhelpless that Etsy seem to do nothing about.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
16 Replies
NoFrogsAllowed
Conversation Maker

Re: Problem with deactivating promo code

@GiftStoriesByNature 

When you click on details for your coupon and you scroll to the very bottom of the pop up do you have a stop sending offers button?  Click on that and no more coupons will go out.  If you don't have a stop sending offers button and you contact support again tell them you don't have a stop sending offers button.  They will be more likely to fix that than the deactivate button.

If this is a favorites coupon don't be too concerned.  Very few people ever use it.  I have had thousands of favorites coupons sent out and only 13 people have used them in over 5 years.

1 Like

that is exactly the point. No, the option no longer appears. At least not for every vendor. This is a real problem and Etsy has explicity acknowledged its' existence. 

1 Like

I tried everything. There is no way to stop or deactivate the offer and Etsy support didn't come up with a solution or resolving intention. On the other hand, I'm not willing to assume any risk of losing money. 

0 Likes
Natalya1905
Conversation Maker

@NoFrogsAllowed 

"Click on that and no more coupons will go out."

I still have one of my coupons going out (to repeat customers, I suppose) days after I clicked "Stop sending offers". Coupon details page says "This discount applies to your whole shop" while the discount was only for a few certain listings. And yes, "their engineers are aware of the issue and are working hard to resolve it". 

1 Like

There is, so far, no sign that Etsy is going to fix this, and  I am not at all sure that this is a "bug" at all because of the evasive answers all of us are receiving from the so-called support staff. What is not at all clear to me is, What would the advantage be for Etsy to treat its' vendors with such disrespect? You Tube is full of reports of vendors abandoning the platform in growing numbers. Thls indifference and evasion is infuriating, and the management knows it. Perhaps Etsy feels it can do just as well without its' vendors? Sure feels like it. The question is, how do the shareholders in this now public company feel about the growing culture of contempt at Etsy. l have been doing my craft full time since 1979- l am not in it for the money but it is expensive to run a studio. Etsy is plainly out-of-touch with such realities. 

2 Likes

I understand, thanks for your answer.

0 Likes
RueDeLouvain
Conversation Maker

There are several threads about this problem, I have it too. (The possibility to deactivate the offer and/or stop sending new coupons has disappeared). Etsy technical support stated to me that the engineering team in looking into this but they could not give a resolution date.

Strangely, some sellers still do have the buttons in place, other don't.

2 Likes
KAPhandcrafted
Inspiration Seeker

I have had this same problem with 2 discount offers for months.  Is it not illegal for Etsy to make us offer a discount?  I keep checking back to see if I can deactivate but the button still does not appear.  I used to offer a sale once every 4-6 weeks but because of this I am no longer offering sales and discounts.  Etsy clearly knows about the issue but apparently doesn't think that their sellers are worth fixing the issue for?  I can hardly believe that they have not found a resolution to fix this issue after all this time or maybe that don't feel it's worth their time.  It is unfortunate because ultimately it affects the buyers in the long run because I will no longer offer larger discounts.  

1 Like

Hi,

Finally, I got a resolution for the mentioned issue. Today when I opened my discount and sales folder under my still active promo code, I found a message saying that I stopped sending offers and it will remain this way, mentioning that the clients who already favourited some of my listings until i stopped the promo will still receive the offers until the expiration time of this promo, expiration time that I think is automaticaly set up I don't know exactly for how long, 6 month or maybe a year. I don't remember for sure but I know I saw somewhere in the Etsy rules or its updates the duration of promo co

des and other discounts where mentioned. (the msg was "Included listings. This discount applies to your whole shop. You stopped sending offers. No new offers will go out. The offer code will work up until the expiration date for shoppers who already received it, and it will be tracked under your discount stats."

0 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

@Natalya1905 Those coupon codes are not for specific listings.

0 Likes
Natalya1905
Conversation Maker

One of my coupons was for a set of listings, not for the whole shop. Not Favorites or something. 

0 Likes
TBQSC
Community Maker

The problem is … there is no expiration date for any targeted offers that were set up with the “no end date” selected.  And there is no way to deactivate or to stop sending those targeted offers.  So Etsy will keep sending them and buyers will keep using them!  And it’s a double whammy for sellers who get hit with an OSA fee.  Win-win for Etsy!  

1 Like

I had the same problem with a promo code that had no way to delete.   Contacted Etsy through Chat.  After looking at it, said they sent it on to the more technical team.  It's a known bug and it would help them to find out how wide spread it is.  I asked if that meant 2 abandoned cart promos would be sent out and customers would think they'd get a total of 25% off.  They checked and even though the old one says "active" on my dashboard, I was told it is actually deactivated.
You might want to go through chat with your info on your promo codes.  Who knows. Maybe if enough people are knocking on their door about this, they might answer. 

2 Likes

So glad I'm not the only one with this issue. It's extremely frustrating as I've lost $50 in revenue because one client keeps using it over and over again. I'm afraid to say anything in case I get blasted in reviews, so I'm forced to work for my half my prices, which are already very fair to begin with. This is so ridiculous on Etsy's part. I feel like this is just the thing class action suits are made of. 

1 Like
TBQSC
Community Maker

@PrismTarot  You do NOT have to honor any sales that are made using the targeted promo's which you want deactivated & sending offers stopped!  You can save your $50 and cancel / refund every order that comes in with those discounts.  Simply tell buyers you are not currently accepting discounts!  Once you issue a 1-step cancel/refund, buyers cannot leave reviews (even if it says otherwise).  

3 Likes

I did not know this! Wow, thank you for sharing. That makes such a difference. Really appreciate it! I've always thought they could leave reviews! 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.