Pre-transit for 2 weeks, buyer unhappy

I shipped an order two weeks ago, it is still saying “pre-transit”. I contacted the customer ten days ago to let her know I had an eye on it. I opened a case with USPS last Tuesday. Today, I messaged the buyer to let her know I would send her a replacement. She left me a two star review stating the shipping issues. Now I want to cancel the order. I think this will be a hassle. Any advice is appreciated. 

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
9 Replies

Re: Pre-transit for 2 weeks, buyer unhappy

If it never gets scanned, you have no case

2 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Why cancel it now?

1 Like
nineteen27
Community Maker

you told her you would send the replacement.

she said she would update the review when she receives the item.

you need to do what you told her you would do.

your frustration should be with the post office.

not the customer.

the customer did nothing wrong.

5 Likes
Sassydoggs
Conversation Maker

I always, always ship Priority mail, or at least ground select if under 1 pound.  I do not have issues with slow shipping times.  I have recently had problems with items I bought, both Etsy and Ebay taking 2 to 3 weeks, or even longer with practically no updates at all.  They are usually items that were shipped ground shipping.  If you are using USPS Ground, there may be scarce updates, and slow shipping. 

0 Likes
UptownYvette
Conversation Maker

There is no point in cancelling it now.  You already shipped the item and she has already left a review.  Continue to be patient with her and maybe she will change her review once she receives it.  You can ask her to change it if she receives the order.  

Another thing is that sometimes tracking can state "pre-transit" for several weeks if not permanently, and it doesn't necessarily mean that the package is lost or not on it's way.  Sometimes tracking updates much later.  I had one package this year do exactly this.  I was concerned after about 2 weeks that tracking was still reading as "pre-transit".  I took the initiative to contact the buyer before she contacted me, and I told her that if she doesn't receive it by a certain date to contact me.  She responded and agreed that she would if she needed to.  I never heard from her again after that, and tracking did finally update after about 1 month with a "delivered" status.  

I suggest in the future that sellers do what I did and reach out to the buyer before they get the chance to complain or leave a negative review.  I keep my eye on tracking status on all orders that I ship with tracking.  It helps to prevent at least some potential problems. 

2 Likes

It's been a hassle for the customer. The USPS has gone haywire. It's not the customer's fault that they expected delivery in a reasonable time. I'd get that replacement out asap. Go UPS 2 day if you can. Faster if you're willing. File a claim for lost mail with USPS. Unless you didn't get the item scanned in. 

0 Likes

This is why I personally take USPS packages to the post office and have the item scanned at the counter AND get a printed receipt for the drop off.

3 Likes
UptownYvette
Conversation Maker

I sometimes do and sometimes don't, but you're right, it's a good idea.

1 Like

@MoreTreasurez I do the same thing. Sometimes I ask myself if I am being neurotic. As I'm waiting in line, other online sellers come in with bags of eBay boxes and just plunk them down on the counter on the side and walk out. I'm not that confident. Granted, lots of problems can happen after the drop off but at least it eliminates one possible defect. 

@StaziaBotanicals I have had weird glitches before with tracking - something in Etsy's system shows a tracking as "pre-transit" and the next time I look, it is "out for delivery". It's like the system gets delayed and then catches up - but in the background, the package is still moving along. I don't know if this is Etsy's system, USPS, both, or something in-between. 

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.