I noticed this morning that the pictures on peoples shop page are now square and are cutting off parts of the images. Using the new listing experience you can't zoom out your pictures only delete and relist the picture.  (On the old version you can alter the picture without having to delete and re-upload picture.)

Re: Pictures on shop page are now square and are cutting off parts of the image.

the trouble with changing the storefront image thumbnail to square from rectangle is that it changes it in the listings, also which makes it look goofy there because the listings are still rectangle???

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like

Re: Pictures on shop page are now square and are cutting off parts of the image.

@Printablesuniverse  I changed all of my thumbnail photos yesterday from rectangle to square by adding a white border.  I did not change the size of the original photo but simply added a white border.  Pretty much explained how to do it above.

I have compared my shop photos with the search photos and there is no difference between the two.  There are no supersized photos and everything in my shop is looking normal.  So I don't understand why things are looking "goofy" for you.

Maybe if you could explain the modifications you made so that other people don't do it and people on this forum can maybe help you.

0 Likes

@FancyTogs  As I said in my previous post.... I changed my photos yesterday from rectangular to square with a white border and "I have compared my SHOP photos with my SEARCH photos and there is no difference between the two. There are no supersized photos and everything in my shop is looking normal."

0 Likes
FancyTogs
Community Maker

@CatDesigns 

I am seeing them zoomed in on your shop home page.

Your white border is part of your listing image. On your shop home page most of the white border has been cropped off on the thumbnails, many are cropped slightly into the art picture too. Your shop home page images are a narrower square crop view of your 5:4 search thumbnails.

I am viewing them on firefox.

Lawrence

0 Likes

@FancyTogs, I've used the same method as @CatDesigns (although using 2 different editing programs, not photoshop), as a test.  I'm trying to decide if I want to put in the effort to do this to all my first photos, as Etsy's crude cropping makes everything looked zoomed (and slightly blurry? but maybe my imagination) in my shop home page.  My testing of this method does seem to fix the zoom issue, and I'm using firefox/win 11 too; chrome also seems ok.  So I'm not sure why @CatDesigns results are different?  Maybe you can take a look at a listing where I'm testing ...

I have one listing I've been testing, with the original main pic now in 2nd position, and the same pic with the adjusted canvas now as the main pic.  The listing is https://www.etsy.com/listing/1541245797.  The original pic (now pic 2) is 2272x1704; I simply resized the canvas to 2272x2272, with image centered, and re-saved.  That's now pic 1.  This added white bands to top & bottom, which is as expected.

In my shop home, the image now looks more like it used to (pre-crop-to-square), not zoomed, less blurry.  Clearly smaller than other similar listings on my shop home page though, so I would probably do the same fix to others for consistency.  Within the listing, it works ok with the other 4:3 pics, and I prefer the less zoomed look anyway.  In search results, there seems to be a small bit of white top & bottom in the rectangular image, but otherwise it looks normal.

So just putting this out there to get your thoughts, as this does appear to me to be a useful fix, to avoid re-shooting photos.

1 Like
FancyTogs
Community Maker

@BlackSheepDyeworks 

You have not added borders to the sides of the original listing image, and you have not used the manual thumbnail edit after uploading the edited image. That is why your results are slightly different from @CatDesigns 

Etsy are taking a vertically central 5:4 crop from your listing image, full width, for the search page thumbnails. Your original image was the incorrect 4:3 ratio as per Etsy's incorrect help page, wheras the search results are actually 5:4, hence you have white bands top and bottom in search results.

Meanwhile, for the shop home page Etsy are using your full square listing image, because you have not set the manual thumbnail edit.

If you did create a 5:4 manual thumbnail edit then your shop home page thumbnail would appear enlarged / zoomed in / cropped when it fits the 5:4 thumbnail image into the square space on the page.

Lawrence

3 Likes

@FancyTogs, thanks for the explanation!  I always appreciate you sharing your photography expertise.

Yes, I've always avoided using Etsy's thumbnail edit (any cropping/editing I do ahead of time outside of Etsy), so that's definitely helping to make this approach work for me.

1 Like
NickiesNest
Conversation Maker

I'm just fed up with the whole photo thing.  I use a camera and edit in an old version of Microsoft Office Picture Manager.  My camera gives me a choice of 2272 x 1704 or 3264 x 2448.    Picture Manager does not let you add to make a square, so I can't change to 2272 or 3264 square, I can only crop down to 1704 or 2448 square. Like Goldilocks, if I do this one is too small (under the "preferred" 2000 pixels), one is too big (large file). And of course I can't add on to my existing saved pictures to square them either. Then they need to work in a rectangle too.  I give up!

0 Likes
luola
Crafty Poster

I'm really frustrated with the new square format. Seems like we have less and less control over how our shops look. I genuinely don't like how crowded my items now look and I can't really go back and edit them because the images aren't shown in square format while editing...

Anyone know when we will be able to edit in square format? Or at least see how the images look in square format before publishing...

Sigh.

1 Like

My images are square and have always been uploaded as square and they are cutting of everything to make it rectangle. I don't understand

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.