I noticed this morning that the pictures on peoples shop page are now square and are cutting off parts of the images. Using the new listing experience you can't zoom out your pictures only delete and relist the picture.  (On the old version you can alter the picture without having to delete and re-upload picture.)

BrieezyBoutique
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Pictures on shop page are now square and are cutting off parts of the image.

I have 1600 listings..... they seriously can't be implementing this without notice. It will take me days of my time to change these over and in the mean time they just are to either look atrocious to customers or I waste money deactivating them temporarily!?!   

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
5 Likes
SeedGeeks
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Pictures on shop page are now square and are cutting off parts of the image.

We have 1450+ listings that are now cropped and look terrible. Why on earth would Etsy implement huge changes like this without any notice to shops? This will take our team days to re-config the aspect ratio on all of our thumbnails. We need some sort of formal response from Etsy about these changes. Is this a bug or permanent change? 

5 Likes

@SeedGeeks 

Just talked to chat, they are still saying it is a technical issues and the engineering team is aware of and currently looking into. We will see....

1 Like

What is even weirder is that we looked at our shop home page from two different machines running the same version of Firefox and reporting the same IP address - on one (logged in) we get square images and on the other (not logged in) we see the "old" layout.

0 Likes
thewoollydog
Conversation Maker

Just seen my own photos... seriously, can't etsy go one day without changing something on this dam site!

4 Likes

My pictures are already square, and many of them have been changed to be off center or chopped down on one side. Looks like a very inconsistent method was used to screw up our stores.

2 Likes

Just talked to chat, they are still saying it is a technical issues and the engineering team is aware of and currently looking into. We will see....

1 Like
BarefootGullyCo
Inspiration Seeker

Oh please only be a technical issue

1 Like
luola
Crafty Poster

It's very distressing to see my shop looking so messed up...hopefully they will give us a bulk edit tool or something if this is to be implemented permanently!

5 Likes

I'm shopping for both a wedding gift and a birthday gift tonight, but I'm only seeing partial images.  It not only looks horrible, I can't really get a clear view of a shop's products without clicking through to the item itself.  And honestly, shopping like that turns what should be a fun experience into a time-consuming and aggravating one.  I finally gave up - it was just too frustrating. Heading over to Amazon now, which at least shows clear and complete pictures of the items being sold at a glance.

8 Likes

@MagicalMomentsShoppe  HI! That is very discouraging! I offer wedding gifts made from  photos if you would like assistance finding something! 

0 Likes
ScrappinDoodles
Inspiration Seeker

I really hope this is a technical issue, I've spent hours on my preview pics and the thought of having to redo them is heart breaking

3 Likes
BCNIcons
Inspiration Seeker

All my shops are now displayed in that horrible square cut-off style... and what is the most ridiculous is that on search pages all listings are still in rectangle format - what are we even supposed to do in this case to have our thumbnails displayed properly everywhere? 

2 Likes

Every store I go to is showing square images now in Chrome, Firefox and Opera. It looks so bad.

1 Like
SewlyButtons
Conversation Maker

I just posted this on one of the other threads about the square images. Thought I would add it here just in case it helps someone? 

So...   I decided to try something with a couple of my listing thumbnails that looked REALLY bad with etsy's new "whatever it is" they're doing. If you check out my shop home page you'll see the results of my experiment. A couple of listing images "appear" to be landscape while the rest are the new square. Here's what I did:

All of my images are saved in landscape with a 2000 x 1667 ratio. Sooo.. I picked two of my listings where part of what is important to display was destroyed by etsy's zoom. I use adobe photoshop and created a blank file sized at 2000 x 2000. I pasted my original landscape image into the blank file and saved it (it automatically put it in the very middle with lots of white space top and bottom). Then I edited my listing and added this "new" image into the first spot, saved it... and then refreshed my shop to see what happened. The display changed to my landscape image with extra white space top and bottom. So... still not happy, but I could cherry-pick out the worst of them to fix. It's just another workaround (albeit time-consuming) to fix something etsy broke or won't fix.

I guess etsy either wants images to look awful which can't help sales... or wants us to spend hours and hours fixing images instead of listing items to sell.
Makes no sense at all.

ETA:
You know, I'm not even sure the new "squares" are zoomed. They just appear to be zoomed. Etsy has just done a 1:1 crop of our first image... which in some cases gives the illusion of being zoomed.

1 Like

@SewlyButtons: It seems that Etsy is running an imaging library that tries to calculate the item in the image and is cropping out the "extra" space to make the actual item more prominent. They have been doing that with the images for off-site ads for quite some time.

0 Likes
SewlyButtons
Conversation Maker

@BagmakerSupply 
And yet sometimes when I do a google search I see etsy "ads" displaying in mostly square but some are landscape too.
It's just a general mess...

0 Likes
ASTRONAUTSVG
Inspiration Seeker

I noticed this too, I feel sorry for fellow SVG and digital item sellers who are going to have to amend a huge amount of listings if this sticks. Eugh.

It's quite a joke really that there has been no announcement on this and nobody seems to know if this is permanent and whether we should be implementing the size changes to our images. Even if it's a technical error there should be some sort of announcement. 

2 Likes

After being put on hold forever with support, I was told...

"After doing a deeper investigation, it looks like your concern has something to do with our technical issues on our system. I went ahead and escalated your concern to the next level of support. Please know that our engineering teams are looking into this."

I responded with...

"So, this appears to be a technical issue and not a new change on Etsy's side to go to a square format?"

And support said...

"Yes, its connected to the technical issue we're experiencing on our system."

2 Likes
SewlyButtons
Conversation Maker

Is the "technical issue" poor programming?

This is absurd and an insult to our intelligence as sellers. Some of us are told it's a glitch? Others are told it's a permanent change to 1:1 thumbnails. Others are told... duh, I'll refer your complaint to "THE TEAM" or "THE ENGINEERS".

WTH???

2 Likes
XZOUIX
Crafty Poster

This error could be related to the new listing editor. I was told yesterday it is a technical error, the customer support person forwarded the issue to the tech team because she didnt know anything about it

0 Likes

Just saw that they changed the dimensions back today... the squares are gone.
They can't be serious. At least announce that stuff!
The square is MUCH better for my stuff and I already changed all my pictures to be square, now I have to change everything back?! 
Etsy... the words I wanna say now would get me banned.

0 Likes

It's fixed! It's fixed! This all started with me on 6/6/23 and today 7/13/23 it is back to normal.

Thank you Etsy and please keep the old format for listing and pay attention to your sellers.

0 Likes
EnsorsYarnMarket
Inspiration Seeker

I was wondering why my images were suddenly all cropped, a lot of work ahead now as the listings look awful when I’ve taken so much time with them. Thanks for bringing the subject up, I thought it was just me! 

1 Like

NOT BACK TO NORMAL!  Today, Aug. 2, my photos are once again all messed up, elongated and run together.  No text.  My shop was ok for a few days, now its a total mess again!  Etsy, what are you doing??

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.