I noticed this morning that the pictures on peoples shop page are now square and are cutting off parts of the images. Using the new listing experience you can't zoom out your pictures only delete and relist the picture.  (On the old version you can alter the picture without having to delete and re-upload picture.)

Re: Pictures on shop page are now square and are cutting off parts of the image.

I'm seeing all of the photos in the usual way.  Safari on a MacBook.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
SugarTaffySoap
Conversation Maker

Re: Pictures on shop page are now square and are cutting off parts of the image.

I see all normal photos.

0 Likes

@SugarTaffySoap 

Your pictures are square.

0 Likes

Your images are all square in Google Chrome. People have mentioned that in Safari they still appear the same.

0 Likes
Chrysalism
Conversation Maker

Are you serious Etsy?! After a decade of 5:4 they are just going to drop this on us? I really hope they don't implement this test as a permanent change. My 200 thumbnails (like most sellers) were each photographed specifically for the 5:4 ratio- randomly cropping them square just makes my shop look bad and creates a ton of extra work. Forcing sellers to recrop/reshoot every thumbnail and video to make their shop look decent seems completely counterproductive. We don't have time for this Etsy! Maybe try fixing actual problems instead of wasting coders' and sellers' time on this nonsense. 

32 Likes

I agree ! I have over 800 listings and have been with Etsy since 2012!   And no word from Etsy about these changes.  I spoke to support (2 times) and they offered no help.  My photos look terrible.  In the Buyers app, our buyers see enlarged, cut off photos...now, that will definitely bring in sales lol - unbelievable. 

8 Likes

The other issue is that my listing images display in square format on my shop page but the search results page they are still showing as 5:4. So effectively you can't even design your listing images because they will always show incorrectly somewhere. Totally annoying! Pick one format and keep it uniform across the board not different in different places makes no sense Etsy!

7 Likes

my photos are big and cut off- do not want to re-do all pics-yuck!

3 Likes

I am giving Etsy about a week to put this back before I change anything because I know if I change 422 pictures, they will revert it all back the way it was. Either way, they won't apologize for all this stress they have caused.

JUST NOTICED: In the listings pages, click a listing and it give this notice:

Adding alt text to photos and cropping videos are coming soon. Edit in the old version

It looks like it isn't a test, but the cart goes before the horse and the aspect ratios are changed before the editing software is finished.

each of us should complain to Etsy about this, but it won't do any good because they are already in the middle of this massive change. Nothing will change

6 Likes

Definitely contact Etsy support and complain -the more complaints the more they may listen. 

4 Likes

Apparently, they are doing what they should have done 10 years ago so that Etsy shopping can be seen better on mobile phones. I only changed my landing page just in case it reverts. also:

click a listing and it gives this notice:

Adding alt text to photos and cropping videos are coming soon. Edit in the old version

0 Likes
CulturalCan
Inspiration Seeker

Yes...this is quite scandalous.

It's look bad and a hell to change around 800 listings.

It's OK (no changes for the moment) on my iMac.

iPad and iPhone a disaster. 

Pathetic!

A way to protest against that?

Thanks.

2 Likes
HouseofSeance
Inspiration Seeker

I just complained in a chat. Etsy doesn't even properly have a place to give feedback! It's really frustrating. 

3 Likes

I have contacted Etsy support multiple times on this cropped photo issue. they told me they were going to fix it and not to try to edit all of my 560 photos that look to large for the frame. Etsy should be embarrassed. They just made their site look horrible. As sellers it looks like we’re unable to center a picture.🥲🥲 Horrible update 

8 Likes

It just looks awful. The listing has a bar below to make it square and then there's the item title.

Why was this change needed??? Could Etsy spend the time on improving the search engine???

4 Likes

This is a mess!  A couple photos and text are ok, the rest are jumbled, elongated or cut off, and run together, and no text!!  It looks like a kid's puzzle that was thrown up in the air.   I know one of those listings is in someone's cart!  Is this a test?  Does anyone know exactly, and when does my shop go back to normal?

11 Likes

this is interesting because my first listing images changed from squares to rectangles, and now part of the images and text are cut off. 

4 Likes

Just visiting another shop and the listings were different sizes, no titles or prices, photos were overlapping and it looked like one big mess.

Forget "Etsy Up" as this new look is "Etsy Down". This needs to be fixed.

2 Likes
CulturalCan
Inspiration Seeker

Hello,

I have talk in the Etsy chatroom twice already about this sad "evolution" and not much at all has get out of the chat...On iMac with Safari,they still the normal way (rectangle) on iPad and iPhone, they are square and photos are damaged (sides cut off,ect,...).

Look likes all mobile devices are affected.It's a pity.

Hope Etsy correct,or back down on this.Even putting square all of them, it will never be as beautiful as before.That's it, it's like that.And I think we should be told about these types of changes before they appear on our screens.We are the people doing the job on our shops presentation with the photos of the thumbnails.

Hope this is a test.Really hope.

Best regards.

8 Likes
VintagePatternCo
Inspiration Seeker

I just signed into my pattern shop via Safari (which I use all the time) and my shop front is all over the place. I have a diff shop that has been fine but it's the first time I've signed into the pattern shop for over a month.

I can't even see the prices on all the listings. The formatting is completely out of kilter. What on earth is going on?

2 Likes

I'm not seeing this in my shop yet, so maybe a test? I tried uploading a couple photos in the new listing version and I see the option to select square for a size along with the normal 4:3 and others. I hope they don't go with a square size because no one wants to go through editing all their photos, or taking new photos. 

But, in my about section on my homepage the pics are normal size when I look on my desktop, but really magnified on my mobile so you can't make them out at all. Anyone else notice this? 

0 Likes

Betreff: Pictures on shop page are now square and are cutting off parts of the image.

ETSY, please stop cutting my pics! And please don´t change it back and forth every other day.

It looks awful!

4 Likes
CulturalCan
Inspiration Seeker

I have seen a French shop with a success and good reputation on Etsy and she has standardize all her new photos for the new square shape format! This is standardization,that's it.

All "artistic" behavior will be control by standardization! That's sad.

Hope they back down on this.But I'm not sure at all.

0 Likes

Half of my thumbnail pictures are cut off. I don't like this test. If it becomes permanent I'll have to redo pictures.

2 Likes

Mine was in the test, and it changed back to normal. Now today it is back on the test and and my images look awful

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.