Whats going on with all the photos being cropped? Is etsy sorting this out?

Re: Photos Cropped

I sell a lot of Vintage Fisher Price toys that have a lot of parts and are time consuming to shoot, and it will take me weeks to get this sorted out.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
6 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

@CatherinesAtticFinds  Oh boy, I'm sorry.  I wonder how this particular Chat person knew this was not a test as we thought; or if they are correct with that statement.  We haven't heard anything from Etsy on it.  And you bet, it's a lot of work; you've also resized and photos are still cut off.  

4 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

And others were told it's a technical issue, which proves that chat knows as much as we know.

eta, actually they know less than we know.  They shouldn't be advising people to resize their photos.

4 Likes

Phew, I'm glad I'm not taking crazy pills. Mine, too, have all gone askew. I'll adjust them to whatever the new params. are. I just don't want to take on that task (100+) items if it's a temporary glitch in the works of being resolved. 

2 Likes

It's my understanding that it is NOT a glitch and was told to redo my 889 listings. Thankfully, not ALL of them are impacted but I'm looking at least a week worth of work.

2 Likes

I was told NOT to re-do my listings. But support would not elaborate if its a glitch or a test or permanent. Sorry Etsy - how many years and how many photos have been posted that will not have to be changed? And NO WORD from Etsy. Unbelievable. 

5 Likes
HauteGemsDallas
Conversation Maker

How long do we wait before reformatting photos? Anyone have a guess? 

ETA I see new information has been added that this is not a test or temporary. 

Surely, Etsy would communicate to us so that we can reformat if needed to make the site pictures look good.... Right??? :  \

4 Likes

Thumbnail

The thumbnail is a cropped version of your primary photo. It’s what buyers see in Etsy search, recommendations, and on your shop home page.

And that is straight off the new listing page. So when they discontinue the old listing format....that is what we will be stuck with.

It is visually unappealing.

1 Like

I LIKE the old listing format, I wonder how many of us, with this new wonderful challenge has been using the old format? 

4 Likes
HauteGemsDallas
Conversation Maker

Corrected. 

0 Likes

I have been using the old listing format.  If they want to change the photo crop ratios, then do so with NEW listings added  - but don't re-crop our photos (800+ in my shop!) and not say A WORD OR WARNING about it! Perplexing and utterly foolish. 

6 Likes

Adjust thumbnail Optional

Fine-tune the thumbnail for your listing. It's what shoppers will see first in search. And that's from the old listing format. Doesn't say anything about the thumbnail picture used in the shops at all.

1 Like

Looking at my profile on the Etsy buyer app, all my listing photos are not even 1:1(as was the case with the website last night). They appear to be 3:4 ratio, as apposed to 4:3 as they used to be. It's like they have accidently put the numbers in the wrong order of the aspect ratio somewhere in the coding of the app, so all the photos are way to tall.

If you go on an item and scroll down to "More items from this shop" It shows correctly 4:3. But on the main profile it shows all items in 3:4

2 Likes

Sorry for the double post but I just found a kind of fix for the app. I am on Android so can't help for iOS, but on the Playstore I was subscribed to the Beta version. slightly down the page on the buyer app on the playstore it says leave beta. So I pressed leave and it said it may take a few minutes. I waited for it to change back to "Join", uninstalled the app and reinstalled and the photos are back as they should be in 4:3. So i'd say to anyone on Android with the issue, check the playstore that you're not joined to the beta app and if you are leave, uninstall then reinstall. 

2 Likes

@CoastalShadesUK 

Thank you for this tip! When I go to Paystore (Android) I do not not see the 'leave Beta' button unfortunately.

0 Likes

On a side note - I just looked at the reviews in Playstore for the Etsy Buyer App  - looks like Buyers are unhappy with the app performance ! A lot of frustration being expressed there.  A lot of 'glitches' and bugs which surely affect sales.

2 Likes
VogueVixens
Community Maker

Some of our photos are cropped  to square and have a wide strip of color at the bottom.  The color varies, and seems to be based on the dominant color in the photo; so lots of beige/brown tones, black, but also some red, lime, blue, and purple.  What a weird test to be in!

3 Likes
Futuryo
Crafty Poster

All of our perfectly cropped main photos have now been zoomed in on even further cutting off parts of our products in almost every listing !

Is every seller now going to fix their main picture for every one of their listings.... Most likely not (huge task for sellers with a lot of items). 

The Etsy site will have an overall poorer looking appearance as photos sitewide will look like they have all been zoomed in on way too much!

Buyers do not want to see less of an item in a main photo they want to see more!  Hopefully this is only a test..... 

2 Likes

Seems like it's fixed now in my storefront ::shrug::.  Perfect, no need to resize. 

0 Likes

Are you using Chrome or Safari?

0 Likes
Alleu
Post Crafter

My photos are still cropped. This is getting beyond annoying!!!!!!!! Is anyone from Etsy reading this???? HOW do we opt out of this absurd test????????

1 Like

yes not working for me - I have spent 15 hours re-scaling and I have 4000 photos to go. Additionally, yes, I am now seeing a strip of color on some main listing photos. Not on all, only some. Oh boy! Perhaps I should stop lest they change it back. Etsy, communicate please on what is going on with image cropping so we sellers now how to proceed.

1 Like

@BuyfromGroovy: IF this is a test, then you are only "fixing" pictures for those who are in the test and worse, you are breaking them for the accounts that are not in the test.

1 Like

Here is what I have discovered so far:

• In search results, the images are fine - they are the normal ratio. So for now, it's only square images when viewing a shop...
  • I suspect Etsy wants to go with a 1:1 ratio for images because of how Google search results are displayed - when searching on Google, the cover image of that search result will usually be square next to the result. Also, there are no Etsy results showing up when using the Google shopping feature, so it could be why they are making these changes...
  • Images are showing up fine in Safari on Mac.
0 Likes

Also, my images are square by default - they are 3500x3500 px. So this seems to not be a cropping issue. It seems that Etsy is zooming in on images instead and not providing us with an option to fix it from the dashboard. Maybe they want us to limit the image dimensions?

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.