Packing slip with tons of question marks?

Printing packing slips this morning, The ones in my 2 shops are as usual but the ones in my husband's shop have rows of question marks instead of text in the headings and price areas? I mean overall it doesn't keep me from shipping it, but wth? Is anyone else seeing this?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
7 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Packing slip with tons of question marks?

I've had that now and then. 

0 Likes
cutebutton
Conversation Maker

I had that happen at some point in the past.  If I'm remembering correctly it may have been a browser issue but I could be wrong.   But maybe not since it's not happening in both shops.

0 Likes
Marmalady
Conversation Maker

It usually means the original is in keyboard characters the programme does not recognise such as a non-Roman alphabet

0 Likes

? It is not the buyer supplied text but the Etsy supplied text? Even the BS at the page bottom is all ?????????????????.  Same browser as I used for my other 2 shops slips which were fine?

1 Like
TBQSC
Community Maker

@hopeandjoystudios  I'm guessing this happened on an international order you received, perhaps one from Japan?  It's common for question marks to appear instead of text ... it just means your Unicode text is getting converted to ANSI text somewhere. Since Unicode characters outside of Latin-1 can't be converted to ANSI, they are converted to question marks.  There are many Google results for this issue "what does it mean when my text is displayed as question marks".  When this happened to me, I just printed out the pack and sent it "as is".  

2 Likes

@hopeandjoystudios: Most of the time, the question marks mean that the font referenced in the document is not on your computer (usually a foreign language font) and your PDF reader is unable to substitute an appropriate font. I believe that packing lists are always generated in the BUYER's language.

2 Likes

That may be it. They may have not had their language set to English. Even though a NYC address it may be a package forwarder.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.