Order

Hi, I have a question about an order.  A good customer of mine messaged me that her tracking order says delivered but there is no package at her place.  It also says delivered on my end in the Etsy orders.  I also checked the tracking and it says delivered to front porch.  She has received every other order of mine in the past.  I feel terrible but not sure what to do.  She said she would wait a day or 2 but it's not typical they are late.  I suggested to also check with neighbors as I have had packages saying delivered to my house yet my neighbors had them.  I'm assuming I'm not responsible as long as it's delivered?  How do you handle a situation like this in order to help your customer?

Thanks you

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
13 Replies

Re: Order

If she does not received the package, I would refund in full. Great customer service for a person who orders a lot from you.

0 Likes

Thank you for your opinion on this.  I appreciate it:)

0 Likes

Contact the carrier (or have your buyer do it) to confirm delivery. Sometimes they take photos when dropping parcels off. Failing that, your buyer may have to report the theft to the police. While you aren't responsible and the package shows delivered, what you do next may change a repeat customer into one that doesn't purchase again. Depending on the order, perhaps replace as a one-off and write it off as a business expense. Give it two or three days. You have good history with this buyer and it would be a shame to lose that.

2 Likes

Thank you.  I completely understand your point about being a good customer.  I was going to suggest to see if they took a photo as well.  I know they usually do that and I agree that's a good idea to let her know that.  I appreciate your honest advice

0 Likes

In the US?  Google the zip code, and call the local PO in the morning.  Don't recommend calling the 800 number, you'll wait forever, and it's just a general help center anyways.

I've talked to some really nice and helpful PO workers - hopefully you will too!

3 Likes

Yes US.  I was thinking call Postal Office but will definitely call the local one.  I will do that and maybe have her do that as well.  I feel bad she's been so nice.  I suggested checking with her neighbors too.  Thanks so much!

0 Likes

Good luck with that. My local PO picks up the phone and hangs it right back up. No hello, no nothing. 

0 Likes

OP, don't assume it is stolen by a porch pirate yet. Call USPS and ask for the GPS coordinates for the delivery; that will establish which home it was delivered to, in most cases. If it was delivered by mistake to a neighbor's home, USPS can try to retrieve it. It is their responsibility as carrier to do this effort for you.

If it was delivered to your buyer's home, then a thorough search of the yard, garage, bushes, etc. is needed. You could then call the police department in her city and report a postal theft. Advise your buyer she may receive visits from postal inspectors and police. Occasionally, a missing package will turn up.

After all this investigation, you may be able to claim a missing package insurance if USPS lost it or delivered to wrong home. Otherwise, you must decide what to do for your buyer.

1 Like

Thanks.  I wasn't sure how far the P.O would go to track down the package.  Good to know.  I appreciate all the advice.  I have never had this issue since I've opened in 2017 so I wanted to make sure I handle this correctly .  It's awful as I added a little extra gift in there as well for ordering several times.  .  Hopefully package will be found, if not you are right ill have to decide where to go from there.  

0 Likes

With very few exceptions, whenever this has happened with my customers, the package is actually delivered 1-3 days later. 

2 Likes

Oh - that's a good point!  Tracking is not always accurate.

I've even stressed over a tracking that was "stuck" for a month, only to find out it was delivered in a few days - tracking missed several spots, and still shows it's in my state, months later.

2 Likes

Oh really?....I do hope that is the case for my customer.im glad she suggested waiting a day or 2.  Crossing my fingers!

1 Like

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice. She searched around her property they had placed the package in a different spot possibly to keep it out of the rain.  Yay! So glad she found it.  

6 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.