New test? Or a bug?

I often go from a listing to a shop home page, to look at what else a seller has to offer.  I just noticed today that clicking on the (now teeny) shop name, within the listing, now goes directly to the "About" section, rather than the top of the shop home page.  It's hard to tell that it's even a shop, let alone that the seller has other listings.

An example, from a listing in my shop ... clicking on the BlackSheepDyeworks link, below the title, takes me to:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/BlackSheepDyeworks?ref=shop-header-name&listing_id=272267816&from_page=lis...

That #about at the end of the url is the culprit; without that added, the url goes to your shop home; but with it added, goes to the about section.

I see this in a different browser/incognito as well, in all listings.  I sincerely hope this is a bug rather than a test or change - it's a really terrible time to be messing around with any limitation on what buyers can potentially see once they (miraculously) land on one of my listings.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
14 Likes
120 Replies

Re: New test? Or a bug?

I am not seeing it in this account, only incognito, so maybe a test? 

0 Likes

Thanks @cindylouwho2, that’s a bummer though. I was hoping for bug rather than test.

2 Likes
SmudgePlant
Community Maker

I see About sections.

3 Likes

It's merchandising dereliction to direct the shopper anywhere other than to items they can buy.  Please fix this!

31 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

I don't think I'm in this test. When I click into your first listing, in the Right Column, "Meet the Owner of BlackSheepDyeworks", clicking this takes me to your Shop Front (not the About Page).  (Geeze, that was a long sentence:)

ETA:  I didn't even see the tiny font below the Title. Just now saw it, clicked and it took me to your Shop Front.

0 Likes

I wonder what happens if a seller has no about section? Will test that when I’m back at my computer tomorrow, assuming I’m still in this nasty test.

1 Like

I should have nested this (posted below):

As I suspected, a click on the shopname link in a shop with no "About" section sends you to the top of the shop home page, as it normally would. There is no #about at the end of the url. So shops with no About info have an advantage in this test, over shops who follow Etsy's advice and fill it in.

12 Likes
leinweberstudio
Conversation Maker

So shops with no About info have an advantage in this test, over shops who follow Etsy's advice and fill it in.

I have some choice words about this, none of which I can print here.

So, tech teams, get off your butts and change this immediately if you want us to make sales. That IS what you wanted, right? Sales?

Their colossal ineptitude boggles the mind.

30 Likes
leinweberstudio
Conversation Maker

Yep, I see it too. That can't be good for sales.

Astounding, really, since stagnant sales numbers were one of the reasons for today's layoffs.

In light of this, you'd think they'd stop monkeying around with stuff that keeps buyers from buying here!!!

23 Likes
RueDeLouvain
Conversation Maker

@BlackSheepDyeworks

"a click on the shopname link in a shop with no "About" section sends you to the top of the shop home page"

I just tried and even in a shop without About section it sent me to the bottom of the page (with a blank About section), not to the top of the shop. 

Seems there are different configurations out there of this -once again- awful new idea. 

2 Likes

@RueDeLouvain, yes, there definitely could be different versions of the test.  At least with your version, everyone is negatively affected equally, so there's that, I guess.

2 Likes

I see it too

0 Likes

I see it too.  If I was not familiar with Etsy, I don’t think I would know to scroll upward so this could be rather unfortunate place to land. 

6 Likes

I've been trying to shop for supplies and am in this test. It is infuriating! Now is NOT THE TIME to be rearranging the furniture. Argh.

12 Likes
SewlyButtons
Conversation Maker

I'm seeing it too... but only incognito, not signed in.
Does etsy have a death wish??? Seriously????
I know everything they've been doing lately leaves me staring into the bottomless pit from the edge of the abyss

21 Likes
2TrickPony
Conversation Maker

sent me right to your "about" page.

0 Likes
GielDesigns
Conversation Maker

Unfortunately I see this too.

0 Likes

I have been trying to figure out why anyone would make or approve this change. I'm beginning to wonder if it is a last act of sabotage by an employee in the 11% being laid off. Making this change, especially in busy season,  can only be a death wish for Etsy. I hope management jumps on this immediately to correct this mess for the sake of all sellers and stockholders, too.

16 Likes
FancyTogs
Community Maker

I see it as well, when signed out.

Hiding the shop listings like this is utterly disgraceful.

It must be sabotage. Nobody with an ounce of sense could approve this as an enhancement.

Lawrence (Clare's other half)

16 Likes

@FancyTogs, sadly, I wish I could believe it was sabotage.  But unfortunately it's what I've come to expect from Etsy.

11 Likes

Makes you wonder if there is even an approval process?  Since live testing in any production environment is not generally recommended......

4 Likes

@BlackSheepDyeworks   Etsy has previously stated that they encourage employees to come test whatever they want when they want.  I can see them now all sitting around a table, if there are any tables in the room, stating what they going to test next and everybody else saying that is a good idea nobody has ever thought of before.  Let's do it.

1 Like

I'm seeing it too, noticed it several days ago, thought it was just a bug but obviously not, now I realise it must be another unnecessary test.

2 Likes

As I suspected, a click on the shopname link in a shop with no "About" section sends you to the top of the shop home page, as it normally would. There is no #about at the end of the url.  So shops with no About info have an advantage in this test, over shops who follow Etsy's advice and fill it in.

(An aside: I tested this on various shops selling identical cork eyeglass cases from AliExpress, at quite inflated prices.  The only good news is that these eyeglass cases are now a bit harder to find when searching 'cork eyeglass case' than they used to be - there seem to be fewer of these sellers now, and there are now cases made of all sorts of materials mixed into my search results [many even actually handmade!], along with sunglasses, straps, handbags, etc, to distract me.)

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.