decotini
Crafty Poster

New listing photo display - TEST?

Jump to solution

This is odd.
When I go to a listing, the first photo displays as usual. Then if I click on one of the other listing photos, ALL of the photos pop up on top of the original listing photo - - all laid out in a grid.  I am still able to scroll for the larger sized photos.
I don't really have an opinion about it, other than it seems redundant.
Anyone else seeing this?
I am on Win 11 pc / Firefox

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
decotini
Crafty Poster

UPDATE Re: New listing photo display - TEST?

Jump to solution

UPDATE - -
After viewing my page in Firefox safe mode - - the page looked fine, so I knew it was something on my end. After 20 minutes of troubleshooting, I disabled my "Ad Blocker Ultimate" and the page went back to normal. I then turned it back on and so far so good.
So if you are experiencing the hot mess I had yesterday, try disabling your Firefox extensions one by one to see if you can find the issue.
OK, I will go back to awaiting the next drama to unfold.

View solution in original post

1 Like
22 Replies
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Re: New listing photo display - TEST?

Jump to solution

It must be a test.  I clicked onto your first listing (first photo as well as others).  I'm not seeing this so far.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I swear, they need to put these tests in announcements.  How hard is it to do this?  At our lawfirm, anything that is new, they let us know in advance and when they will be "rolling it out".  But at least someone is always on top of it in our IT Department.  Horrible finding out something like this happening and having to even write to Etsy to find out if it's a test.  Geez.

1 Like

Jump to solution

Etsy doesn't tell us in advance because they are testing buyer behavior.  If they notified buyers ahead of time, the data would be compromised. Most sellers are buyers, so that's why shop user accounts are in these tests. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

Haven’t you heard? Etsy is now being run by college students as a class project. Sometimes the kids smoke a bit of the ganja and just implement crazy things to mess with our minds. Then they laugh uncontrollably until the high wears off.

8 Likes
GlitteramaCrafts
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Nah, definitely kindergarten kids.  They're cheaper to employ than college students.

3 Likes
decotini
Crafty Poster

Jump to solution

Here is a screen shot.
There is a second layer which appears over the original listing photo when one of the other photos are clicked on.
I know it sounds confusing, and it even looks confusing.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QBixUN5Cq2kGAMFS7 

1 Like

Jump to solution

Well SMH....that looks like crap! 
And yes, it looks confusing as he!!.

1 Like

Jump to solution

Oh yikes definitely don't like that. I'm currently back in that test where the thumbnails on our shop home page are cropped square instead of the usual. Looks so bad. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@juliegodseyjewelry: "I'm currently back in that test where the thumbnails on our shop home page are cropped square" Unfortunately this is no longer a test https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/We-re-making-updates-to-size-and-ratio-for-listing-image...

0 Likes
SewlyButtons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

OMG......  that is one HUGE HOT MESS!!  Looks like it might have been coded by the same tech in charge of "square" images...

2 Likes

Jump to solution

I can't look at any listings or make purchases from listings now because of the latest experimental layout. It's too freakin' annoying and in a cell phone format so everything is in a vertical line with one HUGE image at the top - when other images in the listing are selected, they all pop up in a collage and can't be viewed individually or zoomed in on. The categories are listed in little gray boxes on the left side that look horrible. I use a desktop computer for my shop and shopping. Yes, Etsy, there are still people who use a desktop computer and do not use a cell phone for everything. I've about had enough of the format experiments and opened shops on Goimagine and Michaels MakerPlace tonight. I'll keep my Etsy shop open but will be putting most of my energy into more stable and less experimental platforms. Done and done with this mess.

1 Like
SewlyButtons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@MerryJayneGifts 
Couldn't agree more. I sooo want to continue listing my items on etsy. I've done well here over the past 12+ years. But what's happening right now is like nothing I've ever experienced on etsy. It's like a freight train moving full speed toward a bridge that's fallen into the river WAY down below... with no signs of slowing down.

We're urged to use the new and improved "streamlined" listing format...  but it's half-baked, not fully tested, missing features, requires MORE clicking... and is just plain clunky. Things that are broken aren't fixed with any urgency... or even acknowledged at all. The cavalier disregard for sellers... the ones paying the BILLS for etsy is disturbing. I used to be energized to be selling here. Now? Now I'm waiting to see if the dust-storm will settle (altho right now it seems to get worse and worse every day).

My items will be slowly expiring while I wait and see. Really sad to see what's happening. 

6 Likes

Jump to solution

I agree. I deactivated 16 of my least popular listings tonight that I won't renew until and unless the experiments stop.

1 Like

Jump to solution
0 Likes
SewlyButtons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@DKVintageandBeyond 
And that there is a PRIME example of the HOT MESS I'm seeing on etsy right now. FAR too many tests going on simultaneously. New "features" or "changes" sort of half-a*s*s*ed implemented. Not finished, not completely working, but not being fixed either. So the images? Yep... ALL we've been told is Square and upload images that work for BOTH square and rectangular. So I upload the square that etsy wants... they STILL crop it and end up making it look blown up in my shop. But so far, pretty much everything else is still a rectangle. So how about SHARING with us what they want? HOW much are they cropping my images? How about they DON'T crop my image for me but instead FIX the d*a*m*ned thumbnail feature to be a SQUARE instead of a rectangle.

And oh yeah... partially hide descriptions... then WTH, move them to the very bottom below EVERYTHING else, along with shipping, where sure, all shoppers regularly scroll to the bottom. Some sort of weird grid of images overlaid on top of an image when viewing an item, that's another test right now. And how about search pages showing nothing but images and prices. NO shop names, NO titles (unless one takes the time to hover over every image individually). 

I'm sure I've missed more than a few. And meanwhile, etsy is slowly disappearing my identity on the site... my shop name is in tiny font... even Reviews are more important than WHO I am.  

WTH is etsy thinking? WTH is the plan? IS there a plan? Or are we just throwing spaghetti at the wall???

6 Likes

Jump to solution

I was trying to view someone's listing and wanted to see their shop but couldn't find their shop's name anywhere. I'm sure it was there somewhere but not in a logical spot. If A.I. is making these decisions for Etsy, let it be known that there isn't much "I" in the A.I.

1 Like

Jump to solution

@SewlyButtons don't even get me started! I have put it in support tickets too. It is 1000% right and ticking me off daily. Just what we need right? Grr

2 Likes
decotini
Crafty Poster

UPDATE Re: New listing photo display - TEST?

Jump to solution

UPDATE - -
After viewing my page in Firefox safe mode - - the page looked fine, so I knew it was something on my end. After 20 minutes of troubleshooting, I disabled my "Ad Blocker Ultimate" and the page went back to normal. I then turned it back on and so far so good.
So if you are experiencing the hot mess I had yesterday, try disabling your Firefox extensions one by one to see if you can find the issue.
OK, I will go back to awaiting the next drama to unfold.

1 Like

Re: UPDATE Re: New listing photo display - TEST?

Jump to solution

You're right about the Ad Blocker. Banners are now showing up.

1 Like

Jump to solution

Now all of the shop banners have disappeared. What is the purpose for that?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

So I've read the update about it no longer being test and all photos are cropped to square yet even in the listings I've edited to square shaped they are still displaying with a weird color along the bottom, meaning it's not filling the entire square space. Even more strange- on my desktop they look fine, they only look wrong on my laptop. My desktop (iMac) and laptop (MacBook Pro) are running on 2 different versions of Safari because my laptop is too old to have the current version. Does this mean anyone not on a newer computer/browser is seeing our shops with these wonky photos even if we have cropped them properly?! 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@juliegodseyjewelry: "Does this mean anyone not on a newer computer/browser is seeing our shops with these wonky photos even if we have cropped them properly?! " It is possible that Etsy is using CSS that is not implemented on older browsers.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.