Former_Member
Not applicable

New Shop summary Feature on item webpage is incorrectly calculating Average Review score

Hi All

There's a new feature on the Etsy website on each listing which gives a Summary box for your shop. It provides a link and a summary of reviews.

It actually looks quite neat and is well presented.

Unfortunately the rounding calculation Etsy have used for the average shop review score is incorrect.

They are rounding to 1 decimal place and for my shop they have incorrectly rounded down to 4.9, instead of up to 5.0. The average review rating is actually 4.989130434782609 from 920 reviews.. which should round up to 5.0

Incidentally the app has it correct and shows the average review rating as 5.0

I have reported this to Etsy support, if this has impacted you too, I would suggest you report it to Etsy support to prioritise the bug fix.

Let me know if you are seeing the same. Once fixed, it is actually a welcome feature which doesn't take up too much screen real estate.

Cheers, James

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
3 Likes
15 Replies
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

Re: New Shop summary Feature on item webpage is incorrectly calculating Average Review score

No it's not 'incorrect'.

It's 'Etsy' correct.

2 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: New Shop summary Feature on item webpage is incorrectly calculating Average Review score

I just spoke with Etsy support and as per usual they were less than helpful, to put it politely.

Apparently it's a feature (and by design) and not a bug despite it being displaying differently between the buyer app and the website.

I pointed out it's mathematically incorrect. After the support person copying and pasting the same thing a number of times, they ended the chat.

Yay! Thanks Etsy!

2 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

See?

1 Like
NoFrogsAllowed
Conversation Maker

Etsy doesn't round.   As far as I know they never have.  It also depends which place you look and what they are figuring at that particular spot.  I have 4.8, 4.9 and 5 depending on where I look and I'm not even looking at the app.

2 Likes

@Former_Member: As @OneEyeCatStudio pointed out, there are inconsistencies in how Etsy handles things - time zone conversions is the classic example and with things like a shop's review rating, it appears that in some places they round and in other places they truncate the decimal places.

1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks @BagmakerSupply - they clearly like doubling or trebling their workload instead of using a common service or reference.

0 Likes

same for me ... 14k of 5 stars and a couple of 4 stars and I am 4.9?  what kind of math is this?  

4 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Good luck reporting it as a bug. Apparently it's by design. It's actually quite hard these days to get this wrong. Congrats Etsy on breaking maths!

1 Like
BigXStudio
Conversation Maker

Yep, same here. 4.9 some places, 5 others. If everyone plays by the same rules and Etsy doesn't round, no seller with significant volume will ever have a perfect "5" 

1 Like

Yes I'm seeing this in the listing page just under "add to your collection" it shows 4.8 stars, yet on the homepage its 5 stars. 

0 Likes

Mine is also 4.9...impossible, but there it is lol

0 Likes

Yes, same here. Showing 4.9 when it should be 5. Gave up trying to chat with them today after 4 attempts & banging my head against a brick wall. Appeared not interested & they terminated my chat. 

0 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

On your shop front, all reviews are included in the number of reviews, but for averaging the stars, only those left in the last 365 days are counted.  Your percentage can change every day, as each day reviews from a year and a day ago drop out of the calculation.

For Star Seller, only those in the previous 3 months are counted and used for the % calculation.

1 Like

My average is also rounded down, but I noticed another shop this morning which had been rounded UP for a change. All of their reviews are from this year, for what it's worth, whereas mine date back to 2021 (but only one non-5 star so far this year). Specifically:

My stats: four 4-star ratings + 295 5-stars = 4.9 avg

Their stats: two 3-star ratings + 46 5-stars = 5.0 avg

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Seems to be corrected now (at least for me)

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.