My Store is Just GONE

I woke up to 3 orders this morning, so I logged in and started processing them. I went to message the first customer and POOF, I was kicked out. I tried logging back in and a message came up saying, "YOU CANT ACCESS YOUR ACCOUNT "We've noticed possible suspicious activity on your account. For security purposes, we've temporarily limited your access to protect your information until you reach out to us" I've clicked that contact Etsy support button 3 times and haven't heard anything back. I also went on to Etsy (without logging on) and searched my store. The following message appeared, "2littlebirdsdesignoc is currently not selling on Etsy. We're here if you need help with an order from this shop. Have questions" Visit our help center"

Its so unfortunate as my shop was just starting to pick up momentum.

In addition to the above, I have not received any notifications that I was doing anything wrong, so this came as a huge surprise. Its been down for 5 hours now. super bummed.

Anybody else run into this? Is there a resolve? Why arent they responding to my help requests?

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
35 Replies

Re: My Store is Just GONE

What were you selling? If it was handmade did you actually make it or design it? Was there anything that could be considered copyright or trademark infringement? If it was vintage was it at least 20 years old? Did you say anything about health benefits or medical claims?
These are the 4 biggest reasons for a shop getting closed. 

1 Like

I have hand made beanies, wall art and a blind date with book item. I handmade everything with the exception of the book, but I wrap the book in cute wrapping that I do myself and send with extra goodies. I think i have a health genre to choose when selecting the genre of the book the buyer would like. Its just unfortunate that no one is getting back to me. Not even a warning email was sent. AS far as I knew I was ship shape.

0 Likes

"Blind date with a book" would be okay for DIY books (as those are a craft supply) or vintage books. But newer books would not be allowed.

Adding: I don't believe that would cause your entire shop to be suspended/closed, though. 

2 Likes

I've seen several blind date with a book listings. I purchased one and the seller made a lovely collage on top of the wrapping. I think that is enough to consider the product as having a handmade component.

0 Likes

@2littleBirdsDesignOC   Did you make the books and have photos and a description of the book?  That could be part of the problem. 
The customer needs to know exactly what they are buying, no surprises are allowed. 

1 Like
AVAArtsSupplies
Conversation Maker

Blind Date with a Book- the book would need to be free. If you handmake the items that went with it and the wrapping paper, you sell those items. Etsy might still ding it. It essentially falls under gift basket and anyone can open a "Not As Described" case because you didn't tell them what book they were getting and would automatically win. My friend recently did that, she got to keep all the stuff.  

I don't think that would shut down your shop though. 

0 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

@OmasFabricStash   the OP clearly stated that Etsy said ...

"We've noticed possible suspicious activity on your account. For security purposes, we've temporarily limited your access to protect your information until you reach out to us"

... so why go immediately to "You were probably selling illegal things."?

11 Likes

@OneEyeCatStudio  If Etsy would openly tell sellers what the problem is then maybe we wouldn’t have posts like this. We all know what Etsy says the problem is isn’t always what the problem is, so I looked at everything that might be wrong. I might be wrong about it being about the book but at least the op now knows about the problem so if/when she gets her shop back she can fix it. 
I never said she was selling something illegal, I put out questions about what seems to usually be the problem. We can’t see what she was selling so I went with usual reasons first. I’m sorry if it came out sounding wrong. 

0 Likes

there is a link to ask Etsy to reconsider a closed store.

because your store IS gone. Poofed.

and as already said, there are a few reasons why that happens, and often, there is no 'go back'. But sometimes it is a mistake...your biz name too similar to someone else's, etc.

you do need to ask. Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks. I have tried everything. Its like repeatedly running into a wall. I will continue to try.

0 Likes

@2littleBirdsDesignOC , If you were sent an email respond once to that email and then wait for a response back. Sending multiple emails means you will get kicked to the back of the queue each time. You want to keep everything in 1 email chain. Also it is the weekend so don't expect a response now. 

1 Like
TheCoolingtower
Conversation Maker

Keep trying & make contact with them, going by some of the threads on here, it could also be that your account has been automatically flagged due to some unwarranted attempt or could be something else. Best of luck.

1 Like

I am reaching out in every way that will allow me.

Fingers crossed, it just reappears again.. if nothing else, that I'm able to log in again.

0 Likes

@2littleBirdsDesignOC 
You say you make everything but the book but what about all the other items listed in the materials?
To use the books they'd have to be vintage to sell here or a newer book with patterns used to make things that would be considered a craft supply. If not vintage and not a a craft type book then you can't sell them at all unless YOU wrote the book.

Material list from a "cached" page of your readers club books:
"Blind book, popcorn, tea, cocoa, magnifying glass, wearable magnifying glass, craft paper, rope, bookmark, antique metal bookmark, charms, comfort, stones."

Did you make the popcorn, the cocoa, tea or magnifying glasses or the book bags?
Some of the materials would be considered a supply but others would not and none of these above would not be Etsy legal unless you made them.

https://www.etsy.com/legal/policy/gift-baskets/239976666926
Repackaging or creatively curating commercial items for resale as a gift basket or set is not allowed in the Handmade category.

You may not group new items you did not make into a basket or set even when based on a theme, idea, or life event.

For example, a care package for new parents, a college student, or somebody experiencing an illness containing any new items you did not make is not allowed, no matter how caringly curated it otherwise is.

DO: Include only qualifying handmade, vintage, or crafting supply items.
DON’T: Include any mass produced item in a gift basket, unless it is part of a new structure.

3 Likes

This.

Selling gift baskets with mass market items is not allowed unless they are craft supplies or vintage. Etsy isn't a flea market.

That, and if the customer doesn't like the book they get, they can report the listing as "not as described" because you didn't actually describe accurately what they would get.

Etsy is now very quick to close rule-breaking shops, especially if they are just starting out.

Try Ebay, where there are no such strict rules.

6 Likes

Since it appears based on that cached page, you were selling items that were not Etsy legal and more than likely that is why Etsy closed your shop and it's doubtful they'll re-open it.

1 Like

Thank you, that is very helpful.

The article states, "DO: Creatively use mass-produced items to form a new structure where the items are physically attached to one another"

I physically attach all items to one main item. But I can see that I could use some help on my wording. I will change that as soon as I am given the opportunity to log in.

Thanks again

0 Likes

You're not creating a new structure.
When someone unwraps and unties your package ALL the items are separate and not attached to each other. 

These items are NOT physically attached to one other.
You're just wrapping paper around all the items and tying them together.

IMO that is not being physically attached together. 
They are still considered "separate" items.

For example, a diaper cake is an item where components (diapers) are creatively attached to each other to create a new item. 

What you're doing is no different than these sellers putting brand name candy in a gift basket and wrapping it in pretty paper and putting a ribbon on it.
Or sellers "curating" a gift basket of skin care for example.
Neither are allowed because those items are not attached to each other.

5 Likes

@2littleBirdsDesignOC   If you alter a store bought item then there should be no problem.  Some fold pages to make a design. Then it could be sold. 

0 Likes

Adorabilities -I'm just simply clearing out all the books I have accumulated in my lifetime. Nothing special there.

Community Maker
0 Likes

If those books are vintage or craft instructions, then they're okay to list. But, like others have said, everything else in that listing also has to be a craft supply or vintage item. 
If you haven't gotten any takedown notices, I'm not sure that was the reason (or the only reason, at least) that your shop was closed, though.

1 Like
timelapse
Conversation Maker

Last I knew(could be wrong on this), mystery bags/blind date books/etc...are not allowed (even though you will see others that haven't been taken down yet.) As mentioned above, it is because anyone can say it is not what they expected/not as described, and Etsy has to deal with refunds.

4 Likes

So, the words "are attached" are used, and that is the case when the book plus any decorated covering arrives to the customer. It says nothing about whether the items can be taken apart or not.

As for the surprise element, I have seen many listings stating something to the effect of, "you will not/may not receive the exact items pictured -- you will receive a similar selection." This is very common for collage supplies and ephemera. I've also bought B-grade sticker packs, and you can't choose your stickers -- you get what you get. If a customer chooses to buy a "mystery" listing, then I think any dissatisfaction with what they receive is on them, unless you wrote something in your description that is in conflict with what they received.

0 Likes
AVAArtsSupplies
Conversation Maker

Even for mystery mixes for stickers, buttons, paper scraps...., you can file "not as described" and win every time. 

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.