I woke up to 3 orders this morning, so I logged in and started processing them. I went to message the first customer and POOF, I was kicked out. I tried logging back in and a message came up saying, "YOU CANT ACCESS YOUR ACCOUNT "We've noticed possible suspicious activity on your account. For security purposes, we've temporarily limited your access to protect your information until you reach out to us" I've clicked that contact Etsy support button 3 times and haven't heard anything back. I also went on to Etsy (without logging on) and searched my store. The following message appeared, "2littlebirdsdesignoc is currently not selling on Etsy. We're here if you need help with an order from this shop. Have questions" Visit our help center"

Its so unfortunate as my shop was just starting to pick up momentum.

In addition to the above, I have not received any notifications that I was doing anything wrong, so this came as a huge surprise. Its been down for 5 hours now. super bummed.

Anybody else run into this? Is there a resolve? Why arent they responding to my help requests?

Re: My Store is Just GONE

@AVAArtsSupplies that makes no sense to me because if the seller says "you will receive 5 random stickers from my shop" and that is literally what the buyer receives, then they don't have a good argument if they don't like the selection. The seller provided an accurate description. I don't see anything in the house rules that suggests otherwise. But maybe Etsy applies their policies inconsistently to "edge" cases. I haven't been around long enough as a seller to know how likely that is.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

I found this info on the purchase protection program for sellers:
Purchase Protection Program for Sellers - Our House Rules | Etsy

For disputes about listing accuracy,
"Etsy Purchase Protection protects sellers for orders that match the listing description and photos, where a buyer claims it does not. Etsy does not cover orders that differ from the listing description, so, we strongly recommend using accurate photos and descriptions when listing an item."

3 Likes

And this info in the "House Rules":

https://www.etsy.com/legal/policy/listing-image-requirements/253962679005

"Our marketplace is built on trust and transparency. In general, listing images must be of the item itself, not a rendering or stock photo. When you upload images, you confirm that you have all necessary rights to those photos and are complying with our Intellectual Property Policy."

"Handmade items"

Listing photos should be of the finished product made by you. Different handmade techniques produce different results, and it’s important that your images accurately reflect the product that a buyer will receive. Mockups may be used for digital items because they correctly depict the item."

"Vintage items and craft supplies

All images of vintage items and craft supplies should be of the items you have for sale, not stock or commercial images. Using your own photos ensures that the condition, quality, and quantity of items is accurately portrayed."

1 Like

@vintageNCtreasures I see how that wording can be interpreted to mean that Etsy will not back up stores that sell mystery packs or similar, but I still don't interpret it as saying exactly that. The first paragraph states "matches the listing description and photos," which makes it sound like both carry equal weight. The next paragraphs compare the "item itself" to "renderings," "stock photos," and "commercial images," which are not equivalent to images of a variety of items, all of which the shop sells and which the customer will receive some variation of.

So my thinking is that if a seller specifies that the images are of their products and that a buyer will receive a mystery or random selection thereof, then the seller should meet Etsy's standards.

They mention number of items, too, but I've seen many sticker sellers have one listing with a  drop-down selections for different quantities, with the photos being of a variety of stickers the shop sells. The buyer is instructed to add their choices in a personalization box. Now that I think of it, I've seen loads of listings in other categories that have drop-down options for the number of products or the size of the product (without having photos of every possible variation.

I look at ephemera listings frequently for research for my second shop, and it's standard for sellers to take photos of a scattering of ephemera. They note the number of pieces the customer will receive. If this is inconsistent with Etsy's best practices, then I have a lot of work to do on all the pieces of ephemera and collage fodder I have to sell. Hopefully I can get in touch with Etsy Support to clarify ahead of time, but from what it sounds like, that will be challenging!

0 Likes

@2littleBirdsDesignOC "Thank you, that is very helpful.

The article states, "DO: Creatively use mass-produced items to form a new structure where the items are physically attached to one another"

I physically attach all items to one main item. But I can see that I could use some help on my wording. I will change that as soon as I am given the opportunity to log in." 

The key to this exception to the gift basket rules is that it needs to be an identifiable structure, e.g., a diaper cake looks like a cake and is used as a decoration. Your items are attached to the package, but it is just a package. If you took a dinosaur book and made it into a dinosaur sculpture, then that would be fine. 

That said, Etsy never closes gift basket violations these days; they don't even remove them. So this would be an odd reason to close your shop, other than the fact you are relatively new. 

I hope you can figure it out! 

3 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

yes etsy does not take those down.

etsy actually has some as etsys picks...  { the curated themed care packages}

4 Likes

@nineteen27 Etsy has entire sections of Gift Mode full of gift boxes as well. I called out the cheese selection ones and they got removed before the Super Bowl, but others remain. 

1 Like
nineteen27
Community Maker

We've noticed possible suspicious activity on your account. For security purposes, we've temporarily limited your access to protect your information until you reach out to us.

there it is.

that is the reason.

it sounds like someone was trying to log in.

and it was not you.

5 Likes

But why would Etsy use the banner that makes it look like they closed the shop instead of putting the shop on vacation mode? That’s the part that is hard for me to understand. 

1 Like
nineteen27
Community Maker

@OmasFabricStash 

etsy does not want anyone logging in.

until they know who is the true owner of the account.

the bad part is...

buyers become paranoid.

etsy refunds buyers even if the items have been shipped.

sellers lose star seller badges because they can not answer messages.

you have no idea if a hacker has stolen your funds or changed account info or email addresses.

and it can take a month or more for etsy to fix it.

it just happened to a forum regular recently.

@AAANativeArts  <-- to her... maybe she can come in and talk about it.

and i will call @ModFabio to see if he can help.

2 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

Also ...... I know someone who closed their own shop and that is the banner on their shop.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.