More Than 20 People Have This Item In Their Carts…

I appreciate that Etsy gives Sellers an idea of how many people currently have one of our items in their carts. However, it cuts off at “20”… as in “more than 20 people currently have this item in their carts”. I would love to know more details, as we obviously don’t know whether 21 people have got the item in their carts OR it’s in 121 people’s carts. If we had a higher threshold like 50 instead of 20, it would allow Sellers to better prepare to meet customers’ needs. Or not having a “cutoff” level at all would also be helpful. I’m dealing with this issue currently related to two of my items that are handmade for Valentine’s Day. They’re both in “over 20 people’s carts”. I realize that just because an item is in someone’s cart does not guarantee that it will become a sale, but knowing if I’m dealing with 20 or 50 or 100 people possibly interested in these items would help me better decide how many to hand-make in these days & weeks leading up to the holiday (as ready-to-ship items). I don’t want to make too many of these items, but I also don’t want to miss out on potential sales. Just a suggestion. —Amy

Labels (3)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
57 Replies
GieseDeseiGns
Conversation Maker

Re: More Than 20 People Have This Item In Their Carts…

I never worry how many, but it does give me an idea of what is popular and I had better make a few extra. Etsy uses it as an impulse buying gimmick, “”these people have it in their cart, it’s going fast. You better purchase now”

7 Likes

Amy Sue take a breath! That was quite a post. I don’t see anything in anybody’s carts in your shop. Are you expecting things to happen? Cute shop by the way!

0 Likes

How are you viewing the shop?  I see what the OP is referring to @BeachPleaseCreations 

3 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

@SeasideRoseCreations 

i see it too.

forking is popular.

1 Like
LynnsLittleShop
Conversation Maker

use the search her shop box to see her Valentine items.

0 Likes
myclearstamps
Conversation Maker

@BeachPleaseCreations . I see over 20 in 2 of her listings and some in carts on other items with different items. 

Not everyone sees everything.    One of Etsy's tests.

2 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

i have seen numbers over 20 in carts.

and i wonder.

why they are not actually buying the items.

most of my sales come from items with zero in peoples carts.

24 Likes

@nineteen27 I totally agree. We can look at "Favorited" and "Carted" Listings but what is the information really telling us? 

In my experience, people who "Favorite" and "Cart" are often those who, when you look at their history, have 100s of similar items "Favorited" in their Collections.

If could just be that there are many similar Listings to choose from, not that your one Listing is "very special" to someone

The real Buyers just seem to purchase without procrastination.

17 Likes

@nineteen27 @CarpetCollectionAU @Ditto…rarely do I have sales for things that are in people’s carts. Ironically, those items tend to linger longer in my shop than others. I often wonder if it’s because potential buyers are worried about stepping on someone else’s toes?

4 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

At one time I had 14 handmade Versace bathrobes in my cart.

I didn't buy one.

10 Likes

Yep. Very far and few in between do the people who ‘favorites’ buy. They usually have hundreds and thousands of items favorited. Just to look at I guess? I wish the ‘in cart’ people would buy. Just buy! That’d be great lol. 

3 Likes

I took a look at your shop, OP.

I don't see more than 5 people interested in anything in your shop. Most are 3.

so that leads me to think...maybe...that these numbers are rather like a snow storm in July. In Texas.

at least...that's what I'm thinking.

I have days when hundreds of folks have my items in their carts. And then a few hours later...ghost town.

I've learned that the only thing that matters is a sale.

9 Likes

@CoquetteBath I see over 20 people have the 2 "Forking" Listings in Carts. Stands to reason if someone is Valentine's Day Shopping / Browsing

1 Like
GieseDeseiGns
Conversation Maker

The fork on the first page.

0 Likes

@CarpetCollectionAU 

I don't. I specifically looked for the biggest #.

6 was it. Just now.

So...I'm back to my original premise...

0 Likes

@CoquetteBath Can you not see it on this one?

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/943300729/i-forking-love-you-fork-hand-stamped?click_key=46eb4ae0606...

OR from the Listing

In 20+ carts

I Forking Love You Fork: Hand Stamped Vintage Silver, Valentines Birthday Gift -- Him Girlfriend Boyfriend Husband, Love You More, Gift Box

1 Like
nineteen27
Community Maker

i see over 20 people have this in their carts on the forking forks.

x 2.

4 Likes
SunnytyDE
Community Maker

When I look at the fork listing (which is a really cute idea btw) I don’t see that 20+ people have it in their cart. I see a big eye with eyelashes and next to it it says over 20 people looked at this listing in the last 24 hours. Is this something new? 

0 Likes

Yeah. I don’t think it means much more than favorites do and the numbers are not necessarily accurate.One day 13 people have an item in the cart and the next day no one? I don’t think all those people just took it out of their cart at once. I think there is some algorithm that chooses when to add those notes and when to take it away. 

1 Like

I don't often have this happen, but when it does, I raise the price - must to too cheap!  LOL.......

6 Likes
MrsDsHandKnits
Conversation Maker

Whether it be 1, 10, 20, or 50 people that have an item in their cart it is meaningless...unless 1 of those persons actually purchases that item it is totally meaningless. Using that as a gauge for anything is futile....those 20 or 50 or "x" number of persons could leave that item in their cart for months, years...(unless that item sells to someone else in the meantime).

The number of persons with said item in their cart is just that an item that is well liked ... but what really matters is the actual sale of said item.

4 Likes

@AmySueCrafts: The "in people's cart" is a nudge for buyers, not a tool for sellers. Often people put things in their cart to comparison shop, as a wish list, etc. There is no guarantee that all listings that are in someone's cart will be marked as such or that the number of carts shown is up to date. If Etsy ever decided to provide this information reliably for sellers I suspect that they would include it on the listings page along with visits and favorites.

7 Likes

Good point.

0 Likes
myclearstamps
Conversation Maker

@BagmakerSupply.  Exactly.  They have started to tell how many sales an international seller has made to the United States in the last 30 days.  So that will not be far behind.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.