Messaging suspended

Jump to solution

I sent a couple messages to some other shop owners who made similar items to me to see if they had any suggestions for a problem I had come upon. I worded it very kindly and carefully, making it clear that if they did not wish to share any information that was totally fine. This morning I got onto Etsy to respond to one of them only to find out my messaging has been temporarily disabled. 

I read Etsy forums to figure out why (there’s nowhere I can go in the Etsy help center to report this issue) but nobody seems to have the same problem. I see people who got banned for spamming customers, or potential customers who had favorites their items, but I was reaching out to these people who had never expressed interest in my products. For all Etsy knew I could have been reaching out as a potential buyer  of their product. 

Is it possible that one of the shop owners was offended and reported my message, and that is why I am now unable to send messages (even to my own customers?) 

Just hoping to understand a bit more. 

Also- I know the time it takes to develop a product. I would never ask anybody who spent that time to share all of their secrets with me. But I have also found the makers community to be helpful and kind and I didn’t see the harm in kindly asking for some tips, if they felt inclined to share, but maybe that’s a big no no?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
PinkBirdCottage
Conversation Maker

Re: Messaging suspended

Jump to solution

My guess is because the messages were exactly worded the bots flagged it. I don’t think you were reported. Had you just reached out to one person you would have been fine. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Just be careful sending customers emails about orders unless it is absolutely a necessity. Many of us don't like to be bothered. We get enough spam to wade through daily. The more streamlined you can get your listings that require the least interaction directly with the customer, the happier the customer will be. You can always give them the option in the personalization box to reach out to you for one on one options.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
16 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Sending unsolicited messages is against Etsy rules. The bots just count the number of messages. they don't see what you are saying.

3 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Messaging etiquette would say that direct messaging someone you didn't know to ask a question could be considered Spam.  Likely more than one person you messaged marked it as such, even if they replied.  Messaging someone directly puts them on the spot, and it can be uncomfortable.  With Star Seller, they are required to either answer or spam it.  Sorry.

You can always contact buyers through their email, which can be found on their order.  For shoppers, can you set up auto-reply?  

If you have a question, the forum, or a team, or a FB group would be a better place to ask.  

Sorry you were unaware.  Good luck.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Thank so much for the info- I wasn’t aware of the unsolicited messages thing. Unfortunately I create customized product, but maybe I could set up an auto-response directing them to send me their customization through email? 🤪 What a hassle, but now I know. Thank you! 

1 Like
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

I sell custom items as well.  Can you use the personalization box?  That is what we use.  It works well for us.  

Other choices is to direct them to the "Note to seller" box t checkout, or you can email them after the order comes through.  Once a person has purchased, you have their email address.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

I think I’ll have to reach out to them through email- I send them a few options once we have finalized the customization (I handletter each option) but setting up the personalization box is a great idea for that first step! Thank you! 

0 Likes
PinkBirdCottage
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

My guess is because the messages were exactly worded the bots flagged it. I don’t think you were reported. Had you just reached out to one person you would have been fine. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

That is good to know, thank you!

0 Likes

Jump to solution

It sounds like you were trying to figure out how you could let a customer customize a print. A quick Google search turned up the solution. Just Google "How to list a custom digital file on Etsy" by Alicia Rafiei and you will find a YouTube video with indepth instructions for how to accomplish that. You don't need an autoresponder.  I'll try posting a direct link but I doubt Etsy will let it go through. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=qcuZpQBzQGc

If you need help, the forums is the place to come. And Google normally has links to postings about most issues.

Frankly, had I received a message like the one you sent it would have gone straight to spam, because that is what it is. I am sure you meant no harm.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Thanks for the link! I send buyers multiple options to choose from once they have given me the customization info (each option is handlettered by me for every different order.) So I think I still need to have some form of contact- but I should be able to reach out through email! 

I definitely meant no harm, and I do feel bad knowing it could have made anyone uncomfortable- that was definitely not my intention. I think had I received a message like this I wouldn’t have had a problem responding, but I know everybody is different, and I should take that more into account

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Just be careful sending customers emails about orders unless it is absolutely a necessity. Many of us don't like to be bothered. We get enough spam to wade through daily. The more streamlined you can get your listings that require the least interaction directly with the customer, the happier the customer will be. You can always give them the option in the personalization box to reach out to you for one on one options.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I totally get that. This system has worked out very well for me and I have had numerous people leave reviews that mention how much they loved the chance to pick from some options. These items are usually purchased for gifts and I think my customers appreciate being involved in the customization process, as it makes it more of a personal gift from them to the receivers, and since my options vary in style I think it’s important that they are able to choose the one they like. It might just be because of the specific type of product it is, and that it is handlettered. If it was a font I would just have a set option, since the style wouldn’t vary at all. But since it is handlettered the style can vary widely. I do agree though- receiving a bunch of emails is nobody’s favorite thing. I hope the Etsy messaging clears up soon so I can resume that form of communication. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@IvyandOliveStudio   Are you using the made to order template on the customisable digital?  

That way you can have them ask questions and truly customize it for them.  It reduces the chance of the monitoring bots interfering. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I actually didn’t know that was a thing haha. Is that a newer feature? I made most of these listings years ago, but I will definitely be updating them to the customizable file- thank you for that tip!

0 Likes
NietoPrints
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I'm new to etsy. After 3 months...My messages have been disabled too and I never sent any outgoing messages to anyone without a person messaging me first to ask questions. This is horrible - 7 days have gone by - no way to get help - no answers - horrible experience. Etsy has us by the shorthairs....with NO help NO way to contact them. Unbelievable. Then again - just noticed their public stock price has plummeted 40% - when everyone else on wallstreet is climbing. Something is up. I've seen videos of people saying theyu need to close stores - they can't handle the influx of stores....could this be what's happening? 

0 Likes
Jewels2at
Community Maker

Jump to solution

You can also ask for help in the forums.  Lot of sellers that may be able to help.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.