Messages not working

Jump to solution

When trying to message someone who has favourited one of my listings or my shop, it just comes up with "Sending failed".

It only started failing to send a message this past week. Any advice?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Messages not working

Jump to solution

"When trying to message someone who has favourited one of my listings or my shop"

Doing that violated Etsy policy. It's considered spamming. If you've been doing it a lot, your messages have probably been disabled by Etsy. It sounds like you need to read the House Rules, and the Communication Standards in particular:

https://www.etsy.com/legal/sellers/

View solution in original post

3 Likes
11 Replies

Jump to solution

You should not be messaging someone who favorites your listing, only if they inquire or if it's  regarding an order - otherwise it's considered spam.   You were probably reported often enough that your message sending capabilities are now suspended.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Thank you, I will make sure to re-read the rules and Etsy's policies.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

"When trying to message someone who has favourited one of my listings or my shop"

Doing that violated Etsy policy. It's considered spamming. If you've been doing it a lot, your messages have probably been disabled by Etsy. It sounds like you need to read the House Rules, and the Communication Standards in particular:

https://www.etsy.com/legal/sellers/

3 Likes

Jump to solution

Thank you, I will make sure to re-read the rules and Etsy's policies.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

While you're at it, you are not allowed to sell items on Etsy that are not handmade or designed by you, or vintage.  You say of your production partners:

"A UK based wholesaler that provides us with romantic and shabby chic items in a Scandinavian style. We currently source our candles, candleholders and fragrances from this wholesaler."

and:

"A UK based wholesaler that provides us with gorgeous homeware items for every season and occasion, including wooden and ceramic items as well as artificial flowers."

So you are breaking Etsy's rules with all these items.  As you're now on Etsy's radar with the message spamming, you may well be with reselling and risk having your shop shut down.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

There are actually four UK based wholesalers.

1 Like

Jump to solution

@HazelsSewingSupplies indeed! I thought quoting two was sufficient to give the gist...!

What a nerve, and a kick in the teeth to the genuine hand-makers.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I use to do the same thing years past when we could reply to as many people as we desired to thank them for favoriting our items and customers seemed to really like the attention.   I won't lie that my sales were far higher when I did that and the customers would actually tell me they chose me for being far more proactive than other sellers with this simple sign of appreciation however about a year ago Etsy implemented a block that limits you to no more than about 3 replies to customers who favorite you per day max in order to prevent spamming.  Apparently many were doing the same thing but the way their messages were formatted, they were spamming the crap out of potential buyers beyond one simple thank you message so now we all pay for it.  

You are correct in your assumption that we are purposely blocked by Etsy now to not reply to more than three (3) people per day at most and now with sales greatly decreasing on Etsy with this and other issues like their revised paid advertising program that is no longer transparent on where your money goes or any control of how much money goes to each specific ad, I'm going to be forced to sell on Amazon and other resources which is sad because I've ranked in the TOP 0.1% of all Etsy Stores the last 9 years in a row all to say, I make a nice income but the restrictions are driving me to sell elsewhere and I really like Etsy.  

1 Like
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@PatriotCoinRing 

I sold on 2 sites prior to Etsy (2011).  The first time I ever used a Forum was on the second site, Bonz. When someone Faved your Shop or Items, you said Thank You as a courtesy. (Although I was setting up Shop on Bonz. when a Pop Up said, "Hey dude, you Fav me & I'll Fav you" (the Pop Up made it hard to list.  Nevertheless "dude" didn't Fav him:)

When I came to Etsy, I Thanked those who Faved my Shop.  Not that it wasn't appreciated, but I got tired of Replying, "Thank You". 
Started a Thread asking if others did the same. 
That is when I was told it's against the rules & considered spamming (it's also in the TOUs, which I read but obviously zipped through my head. I'm not a robot & don't retain everything I read). I am glad I asked that question (felt no shame about it).  And never did it again.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Yea, I hear you and when it was open to say "Thank you for favoriting my item" back in the day to as many people as I wanted, not once in my polite letter did I ever get called out for spamming but to the contrary got tons of letters I could pull up "thanking me" for going out of my way to say thank you.  

I don't know the benefit of favoriting your store if you favorite mine unless it has to do Etsy's Algorithm and giving a store a better position based on how many store favorites are given but I'm actually talking about customers favoriting items and thanking them for that.  Not favoriting my store.  

Oh well, those days are gone.  No more ability to do what we use to do at least in that way.  

1 Like

Jump to solution

Hey guys, I have been searching for hours and can't figure out why my messages do not work - I have not messaged out at all but I asked my husband to test sending my shop a message and it said 'sending failed" Is there anyone that might know why this is happening? I contacted the live help desk and was told to come to visit the forum...

I am very new at Etsy and online selling but have really been studying up and trying my best to design and build a good shop - I have started by just listing the items with Printful as my supplier and I am now going through them one by one and improving them...

But cannot figure out why I do not receive messages - If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it soo much ♥

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.