ReImagineBrewing
Conversation Maker

Messages And Orders Page A Disaster

Like normal bugs were not worked out prior to launching a big site change.

Orders Page:

-If you click on the message icon for any order the entire page jumps back up to the top of the screen. So, if you are just adding a note to the order it is not to the right of the order. It is to the right of the first order in your orders and looks like you are writing a note to a different order even though you can see you are writing a note to the order within the little pop out screen you wanted to write on on. Ahh.

-Just the jumping back to the top if you click on an order is really annoying. We don't work directly down a list of orders not checking other ones.

-Messages are not linking to orders. I see an orange dot. Click on the order to see the message and ZERO linked there.

Messages Page:

-I send a message and it might show up as a new first message in my messages. Wait. I sent it not my customer and it is new because I sent it?

-Messages are not all linking to an order or even a customer. I have to search in all of the messages to double check none were missed.

-Messages are or are not sending.

-Random messages are linking to orders from a customer. I responded and the unread respose from a customer that was not attached to the order is now SOMETIMES attached under the response I sent. This also isn't showing up as new. So, Unless I open an entire string of messages to make sure the new random combination was done right and was all read I don't know what is going on. I told a customer things were quite messed up after asking them a fifth time to respond and an order over a week late. The issue was the combining of messages. Yes we want them combined but not in this illogical way. Make it just like email. If a customer started 3 conversations have ALL 3 under that order on the orders page. This page is critical for sellers. If you randomly combine and randomly have stuff as read/not read we can't function. Think email. The layout of the message page just made smaller with in an order. If 3 conversations started... + + +. 3 conversations within that order on that order page.

This is seriously getting awful. If Etsy Staff or Leadership had to function like this for WEEKS things would change fast. We, the sellers are paying the salaries of Staff and Leadership. We were promised our increased fees were going to improve seller services. They've gotten WORSE. PLUS the jobs posted on Etsy tend to be customer/buyer related. This isn't building trust with sellers. 

Please test prior to launching changes. These issues are well beyond acceptable and would have been identified had Etsy involved sellers in design or testing. Involve us if you want things that sellers actually want or will benefit from. Stop wasting our fees on changes that don't work.

Labels (3)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
20 Likes
33 Replies
VibeEnvy
Conversation Maker

Re: Messages And Orders Page A Disaster

My orders page jumping to the top is so annoying. It used to only do it randomly, and had never been fixed but now the same exact problems much much worse, now it's every single time I click an order. The order page at some point starts shrinking each time I click another order getting skinnier and makes it difficult to navigate until I refresh the page and it all sizes back to normal.

5 Likes

Because of all of the complaining by sellers who did not answer their new messages and had their the Star Seller rating affected, Etsy is "improving" the message system by combining all subsequent messages with an account into a single thread - usually the last message thread prior to this change. Unless things have just changed, for us (on desktop) the same message thread is attached to all orders from that account. Like you, for us this change is a disaster. Answering every new message (which the Star Seller Program rules always clearly stated you had to do) was so much easier than untangling this knot of intermixed messages. I think that the person who approved this change should be forced to use his system in a store with some volume as punishment so they think about the consequences of their actions before enacting them. If your customer has set their account to get eMail copies of your messages they will be doubly confused because the "subject line" embedded in the body is the subject line used on the original message in that thread,

4 Likes
ReImagineBrewing
Conversation Maker

I do know how and why Etsy is making changes. I was not asking why. I was stating this is not working and the design they are trying to implement is not effective.

I've been pushing for combined messages for over 6 years. The route they've taken has created a disaster. It is not optimal. I've written a ton of times a better way of doing it. However, with how badly the programming is on the site it is just patches put on patches and we might never get a system that works right. It is just getting worse.

I just had to explain to a corporate client to not start new messages. We have 4 strings now. He wasn't responding to my questions, had to update a ship date (creating another new message string), he then created two instead of responding to ones that were started. Fun fun...

0 Likes

But they are not linking. I have messages from the same buyer right on top of each other...they didn't link into one like etsy says it now does...as Ross Geller would say "It soooo does NOT!" 

2 Likes

I noticed this also and it is sooooooo annoying. I always send a thank you message to my customers when they place an order. I click on the order and look to the left to make sure I have the right person and the order page jumped up to the beginning. Makes me so mad! So then I have to scroll back down to where the next order is and do it again. So now I am afraid I am going to miss one because we have a list of orders daily and now I spend extra time scrolling up and down. Hopefully it is just a "bug" for now. AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

5 Likes

Exactly! I'm trying to send out my messages and it's extra tedious to have to scroll down each time. I came here wondering if it was just me, and I'm not sure if it's good or bad that it's not. Hopefully it's just a bug they need to fix. I guess I need to report it somehow, if there's a way.

2 Likes

Make sure to chat them and report the issue! I have and a couple other people have, so the more people that complain, maybe it'll get fixed. It is so annoying!

2 Likes

Please fix this!  All the changes to messaging are truly baffling, all to appease those that could not answer their own messages in time?  With sometimes hundreds of messages sent a day this new change of 'jumping' back to the top of the page after every message is sent, is adding more time to an already busy day.  When one customer can have over 20 separate transactions and all of the messaging for those are now in 1 thread, it feels like a nightmare pinpointing what message is for which sale.   Argggghhh!  agree with above, please be a bug.

8 Likes

Make sure to chat them and report the issue! I have and a couple other people have, so the more people that complain, maybe it'll get fixed. It is so annoying

2 Likes

@MaisieMooDesign  I totally agree with you. I hope that this does not come across as petty or mean, but I feel like the sellers who have active stores and repeat customers, and work with those customers on special requests (all to the benefit of Etsy's bottom line) are being punished because some sellers would not or could not take the time to read and understand the rules. By Etsy standards, the Star Seller rules about messages were very clear and unambiguous. These "improvements" are costing us much more time than the few seconds it took to acknowledge every new message.

4 Likes
bohemians
Community Maker

Etsy IT & site  infrastructure reminds me of a cartoon tree house. Patched with boards nailed on in all angles and the higher it gets ... the more rickety it gets.

10 Likes
GoStencil
Inspiration Seeker

The order page going straight to the top when clicking on messages is costing me so much time and I have made mistakes because of it.  Can someone please correct this....

4 Likes
ReImagineBrewing
Conversation Maker

I too have made a TON of mistakes now because of this. Time and materials lost.

3 Likes

Over a week now...glitches still happening. This and the combining of messages from one sender has been so disruptive to my daily workflow.

1 Like
ReImagineBrewing
Conversation Maker

Combining of messages will be good if they do it right. It is needed. However, until it is bug free, it will be horrible.

0 Likes
ReImagineBrewing
Conversation Maker

This is just getting worse. I updated a ship date to to a customer not responding and a new string of messages was started and then the customer responded by starting another new one. Only my first message that was never responded to linked to the order. Also, no alerts were created. This is worse than it was because at lease previously I could create a title verses now a customer doesn't know at all what is going on. Most likely I'll cancel the sale to not be totally punished for a late order due to the customer still not responding and one ship date update already occurred. Fun fun... 

***Etsy did tell me to cancel orders if a customer doesn't respond to avoid having a late order. So, make/prep an item and update the ship date once, no response, take a loss due to losing the time put into making the item while waiting for a response and cancel it since you can't update it again. Again, a broken system...

0 Likes

For the Orders Page issue, have you set up progress steps so that when you process an order you can move it into your next step?

0 Likes

@BagmakerSupply I don't have any interim pages but if I click on an order in the Completed page it takes me back to the New (open orders) page.
So not sure if having more pages would be a solution.

0 Likes

I have progress steps in my oldest shop but not my new one. I don't always fill my orders top to bottom or vice versa due to the specifics of the items. At the moment I have 81 items to scroll through, it's horrible

0 Likes

The order page going straight to the top when clicking on messages.

Thanks

1 Like

@DaysofYoreTreasures   Progress steps are not additional pages, think of them as tabs on the same page and you can call them whatever YOU want. You already have two progress steps: 'New' and 'Completed'. You could, for example, add 'Confirmed', 'In Production', Ready To Ship'. and just "move" the order into the next step as appropriate. Just name the steps to match YOUR workflow. We have been doing that since this feature was released and it makes management much easier. This way, the only orders in 'New" are ones you have not yet done anything with.

2 Likes
BeachberriesShop
Inspiration Seeker

Betreff: Messages And Orders Page A Disaster

I have this same problem and it is very annoying. I've already tried contacting Etsy here via chat but after 15 minutes he still didn't understand what I meant. I have asked him several times for telephone support but that was not possible. Web designers make changes far too often and this creates problems. The same for the new popup if you answer a question within 24 is also annoying if we are little kids who did something right. I think seller support on Etsy is very bad. Not to mention the offsite Ads that we are forced to participate in.

0 Likes

Went to message a buyer yesterday and exactly as you said, all previous messages were there, seeing as this was a previous buyer I couldn't father out where to send my message, in the end I went to the original email and sent her a text through that, what a shambles

0 Likes

I have this same problem and it is very frustrating! I have many orders and send mockups to customers. I send a message to customers with a mockup via order page and this make it very difficult and causes mistakes on my part, also the mess with new messages to repeat buyers getting sent to the wrong order.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.