Message wrongly sent to spam and dinged my star seller

I had a message auto sent to spam. I found it five days later and responded, which moved it to my inbox. It then counted against my Star Seller badges saying that I didn’t respond within 24 hours - but Etsy sent it to spam incorrectly. 

Struggling to get help from Etsy Support. 

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
9 Replies

Re: Message wrongly sent to spam and dinged my star seller

It is so so frustrating, for reference, this was posted in this thread from two weeks ago:

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Non-spam-ends-up-directly-in-Spam-folder/td-p/1451063...

"MurphyGardens Community Manager

2 weeks ago

Thank you for reporting this! We’re dedicated to keeping your accounts and the Etsy marketplace safe and secure. 

We’ve been making improvements to help you better identify authentic messages from Etsy. Recently, we’ve worked to reduce the noise in your Inbox by automatically moving potentially suspicious messages to your Spam folder (which you can only check on desktop right now). 

As a result of this, some of your messages may have been moved to the Spam folder in error. We’re working to improve the accuracy of these measures and we apologize for the confusion and inconvenience this may have caused. 

We’ve also heard your questions and concerns about how this might impact your Star Seller eligibility, which we wanted to clarify. Messages marked as spam by Etsy will not impact your Star Seller eligibility. If Etsy has marked a message as spam that you subsequently move out of the folder, we’ve ensured that also will not impact your Star Seller eligibility."

But lots of sellers are reporting the problem to support, that it IS counting against them, and have been given various answers regarding how they  can't change anything.

I wish we could get a definitive answer.

4 Likes

That is a load of horse hockey on their part because they auto put a message in spam for me then moved it out 5 days later and dinged me for it.

2 Likes

I had one appear in my messages stating 5 days late that had never been there. I check my actual messages daily as I  don't trust the notifications.  All it said was Hi and I  figured was either a spammer or scammer as no customer just says Hi. I spammed it and it did come off the next day. Luckily as it had dropped me to 75% which would have sunk me for 3 months! I don't know wth is going on. I assume the spam bot had put it directly in spam then 5 days later moved it to my messages. Luckily(?) it was spam.

0 Likes

If it had been an actual customer I would not have spammed it because then they are blocked from contacting you. So then you're stuck with a ding.

1 Like

I keep thinking about things like the money they spent on that Super Bowl ad alone, and Silverman claiming how they're banking on branding etsy as THE place to buy gifts, think the bean counters are sh!tting bricks about now?

How would you ever begin to assess the damage and lost business by the spam thing alone? Get the people lathered up about etsy and they're met with all these glitches?

Especially with Mother's and Father's day right around the corner!

Thinking like a buyer, if I sent a message to a shop and thought I was being ignored for days don't you think I might move on with my shopping?

Since etsy's hell bent on proving how finicky buyers are, and then stuff like this...I can't even. I think this pales in comparison to trying to manipulate sellers into adding weekends to their processing times because buyers don't want to wait one more day, yada yada yada.

If this isn't the definition of shooting themselves in the foot I don't know what is.

0 Likes

I think the problem lays with the customer's message being moved out of spam after the sellers realise it has been put in spam by accident by Etsy.

The system automatically then registers the reply as late.

They really should fix this for those who had their stats affected by this mistake.

1 Like

Nobody should even HAVE to wonder about this or find a workaround.

ETSY erroneously put those messages into spam, they need to fix this!

It's not even Star Seller status, it's how pissed off are those legit customers and potential buyers who think they're being ignored?

How much lost business are sellers suffering? How would you even measure that?

It's just ridiculous that they won't completely back out that "improvement" until they can figure it out without causing so much damage.

1 Like

Is there some special trick to get it not to count against you?

I do but I don't give a rip about Star Seller right now because I'm anticipating that even though my weird order that's showing now 3 days past due, but tracking shows it accepted and several scans showing movement, what's going to happen when I get dinged for late shipping?

I cannot even get my mind around being told that it won't affect you but it very clearly does! Just how much evidence does etsy need to see that what we're being told is not the reality of what's really happening?

0 Likes

I moved a 3 day old message from spam to my inbox which counted against me at first but then my rating was restored soon after I moved it back to spam. Many sellers reported the same, hope it works for you too.

@FunkyJunkyVintage  Crappy about the tracking. I'm having a similar issue with Purolator tracking. Delivered items still say in transit and in transit shipments show as pre-transit. My UPS shipments are fine though so don't know if it's my shipper or Etsy. However, my rating hasn't changed and it's been happening for 2 weeks now.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.