Message response rate affected by cancelling customer orders

A buyer messaged me and asked for help and want to cancel their order, they made a purchased by mistake. It's one of those "Help request" messages. 

I went ahead, clicked on their order from the messsages and cancelled, refunded and wrote a a message to them, notifying them of their refund. The refund triggered a message to the buyer so I thought everything was fine. However this message from the cancellation process started a new thread instead of responding to their original message and didn't count towards my first message response rate and took away my star seller rating! I didn't realize this until couple days later... 

I followed all the correct proesses, made the refund immediately and kept the customer happy, but lost my star due to a technical issue with the cancellation process... This isn't right and please help! 

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
6 Replies

Re: Message response rate affected by cancelling customer orders

Sellers have reported this happening before, unfortunately Etsy can not change it as the system is set up to detect 1 answer to each new message, whether it requires a reply or not, or if it is a duplicate thread

And no it is not right

0 Likes
PoochandTabby
Conversation Maker

It's not really a technical issue. When a customer messaged a help request they want to cancel, you're leaving that message to cancel the order. If you write a response in that cancellation, then it created another/new thread with your comments from the actual cancellation, so there are two threads. one after the other. 

I too, had to learn my lesson to say no problem or whatever to their actual request and then go to do the cancellation and just let them know it's done per their request, which creates a new thread or don't say anything and just respond in the original help request.

0 Likes

@LazyRoseCreations: Unfortunately your Message response percentage was not '"affected by cancelling customer orders" but by not responding to the new thread created by the Help Request. The Star Seller metric for messages is very simplistic and binary - either you replied to (or marked as SPAM) that first message of a new incoming thread within 24 hours or you did not.

"... a technical issue with the cancellation process ..." Most likely this is not a technical issue but an intentional design choice.

"However this message from the cancellation process started a new thread instead of responding to their original message ..." The 'message' on a refund never counts as a reply, the 'message' on a cancellation form is always appended to the default Message thread with that account (or creates one if there is none) but never to a Help Request thread, probably because Help Requests always start a new thread and also start the clock ticking on a potential case against the shop.

"This isn't right and please help!" You are correct - at the very least there should be more clarity about what counts as a response to a new thread. And just so you know, even if Etsy Support or the Help Pages sent you here this is a seller peer to peer forum, and should not be considered a way to contact Etsy, if that is your hope (although Etsy does sometimes read and reply to posts).

As an aside, you need to include the licensing information for all of the trademarked and copyrighted names and images in your shop in your listing, otherwise buyers (and Etsy) may conclude they are counterfeits. And a buyer could file a not as described case against you and both get their money back and keep the item. Including the licensing information will show that you are not selling those items illegally. SELLING something called 'fan made' merchandise is not a exemption to intellectual property infringement and at the very least can get your shop shut down.

1 Like
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

A Help Request will always produce a corresponding message in the inbox (so that it is harder for Sellers to miss them).  You can leave a note in the Help Request but the two systems are not connected, so it does not count as a reply to the Inbox message.  When I get Help Requests I send a quick message on the Help request letting the buyer know how I will address the issue, and then once I have dealt with the issue, I respond via the Inbox message to confirm I have done as agreed.  In other words, if a buyer wants to cancel, I reply on the Help Request with "I will process a cancellation shortly", then once I have cancelled the order, I reply to the Inbox message with " All cancelled as requested".

0 Likes

You have to REPLY to each new message THREAD, they are highlighted in blue, so you can't miss them

writing something in the order, is not replying, and it is not in that message thread

0 Likes

They are 2 separate things.  A message when refunding is optional but you still need to respond to the main message help thread.  Star Seller is automated and just sees an unanswered message, it has no idea who it is from or what it is about to make any judgement about the missing reply. Many have been caught out by this.  

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.