Message received from technical support

Message received today from technical support asking my to send my email address in the massage. System not accepting my email address asking for user name? 

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
24 Replies

Re: Message received from technical support

Don't reply and mark as spam. It's a scammer.

5 Likes

It's a scam - don't respond and send the message to spam.  If you search the forums you'll find dozens of similar threads - new sellers are being targeted by scammers pretending to be from Etsy support.  

2 Likes

@HJHandmadewithLove 

It's a SCAM read and memorize this from Bradgoodell, note that it has been updated, find the updated list if you can. good luck

by bradgoodell Community Maker
‎07-08-2023 10:25 AM
I've been keeping a list of scams reported on Etsy. The best protection is to keep 2 things in mind:
Do not take the conversation off Etsy. meaning no email, phone calls, SMS/texting, WhatsApp, etc. If they contacted you on Etsy, they can continue to contact you on Etsy.
NEVER click on a link. Scammers will send links they claim to be design files, a listing of items they want to buy, or a (fake) Etsy link to verify your account. NEVER CLICK. It is either malware, or will take you to a (fake) Etsy web page.
If people simply kept those two things in mind, scammers would be stopped 99% of the time.
Anyway, here is my list of Red Flags.
New seller
High dollar item or large sale amount
Odd or awkward-sounding language
They want to take the conversation off Etsy (they ask for your email)
Someone messages you and claims you may have been a victim of fraud, and requests your email address to "resolve the issue"
You get a (FAKE) message from Etsy Support telling you that they are having technical issues and asking if you've received notification of an order in the last few minutes.
You get a (FAKE) Live Chat message.
You get a phone call from someone claiming to be Etsy. Etsy doesn’t cold-call sellers.
“Etsy Support” claims they want to contact you by text/SMS. Etsy doesn’t text, they use Etsy messages and/or email.
Anyone claiming to be from Etsy who asks for your phone number or login information is a scam.
You get an email requesting you "complete" the order as its currently on hold and asks your for your debit card information.
You get an email from (FAKE) Etsy saying Etsy is changing payment methods and will send money directly to your credit or debit card. Etsy has not changed their payment method.
You go back to their account, and it's gone
The original message has disappeared off Etsy, or has moved itself to your Spam folder.
They send you a link of some sort. DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK
They claim they cannot check-out and need your email to complete the order.
They claim your Etsy checkout isn't working, and they send you a link to "fix it”
You get an email from (FAKE) Etsy saying you need to do X to get your account verified.
You get a (FAKE) email from Etsy claim you need to buy a high dollar pre-paid Visa or American Express card to get your Etsy account working
They send you a link to a (FAKE) Etsy page that looks genuine and asks for your login and/or credit card details.
You find a (FAKE) Etsy phone number off the net and talk to a sympathetic customer service rep that wants you to download an app so they can access your account to fix something. Etsy does not have a published phone number you can call. It's a scam, the number is not Etsy's.
They want to take the sale off Etsy
They ask if something is "still available" when it's obviously for sale in your shop
They ask about the condition of an obviously new item
They ask if you are honest
There is some urgency, such as a birthday or anniversary
They claim they are in the Navy, an oceanographer, on a cruise ship, on a research vessel in Antartica
They ask you to buy a high dollar gift card and include it in the order
They will pay you extra for the inconvenience
They claim to have their own shipping company or pick-up agent
They claim an uncle is paying
They want to pay by money order or Cashier's check
They send you payment for far more than the order total
They want you to send the overage through Western Union, Venmo, etc.
They send you a (fake) PayPal email that says PayPal will release the payment after you send them the overage.

13 Likes
HonraPortuguesa
Inspiration Seeker

Thank you for your clarification.
I'm new to this and I've received dozens of messages asking me to verify my card... if I don't do it, the store will become inactive... is this possible? But the store says everything is ok... thanks

0 Likes

@HonraPortuguesa 

Those are scams. You can tell this for yourself by checking your messages in a browser (don't use the app for this). Go to your Shop Manager>Messages. Look under Messages, Inbox, Order Help Requests. There is a link that says From Etsy. Click it. If the messages are not there, they are NOT from Etsy, they are scams. Mark them as spam.

2 Likes

Thank you

0 Likes

Look at the sender's icon.  If there is no small orange "E" badge sitting outside the icon box, the message is not from Etsy.  Etsy does not use simply the Etsy logo (which anyone can copy) it uses this little "E" badge that is placed outside the sender icon.  Nobody but Etsy can do this. 

8 Likes

Also to keep in mind if they already have your email, and you give them your user name, they can probably hack your shop. Etsy will already have this info IF they contacted you. So yeah, definitely a scam.

1 Like

Dang it, noob mistake. I fell for it

1 Like

It is a scam! I got the same message from ‘Etsy technical support’. I had to block my card and they were going to take money out.

0 Likes
SvHIllustration
Inspiration Seeker

I got one today saying that all orders have been suspended in my shop and that I need to provide my email address via Etsy message 

0 Likes
Bymotsha
Inspiration Seeker

I got one today saying my shop has been temporarily suspended from technical support. Yeah definitely a scam! 

0 Likes
CraftIntentions
Inspiration Seeker

I just got the same message saying that all orders have been suspended in my shop and that I need to provide my email address via Etsy message. I've just sent it to the recycling bin, didn't reply. Is there a way I can block this account or something? 

0 Likes

@CraftIntentions  You needed to mark it as SPAM to avoid getting a ding on your message responses if you are concerned about being a Star Seller.

0 Likes

@CraftIntentions: "I've just sent it to the recycling bin" Mark sure that you mark it as SPAM instead of just deleting it, otherwise it may adversely affect your Star Seller stats.

"Is there a way I can block this account or something? " Etsy does not have any way to block accounts, but more than likely they have already closed and deleted the offending account.

0 Likes

I have received 5 different spam/scam emails on here in the last 24 hours all from different people/accounts.

0 Likes
TeeBeeJoys
Inspiration Seeker

I think I was scammed by fake Etsy Technical Support message, now what?

0 Likes
ChantillyAvenue
Conversation Maker

@TeeBeeJoys 

Contact your bank and report it as fraud.  They may be able to get your money back.

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?segment=selling#issue_scams_suspicious_msgs_seller-solut...

0 Likes
TeeBeeJoys
Inspiration Seeker

There was no money request, only to verify my email--which I did (Yes, I'm a noob) and it said there would be instructions to follow in a separate email--which has not arrived. Not sure how to feel about this. 

0 Likes

@TeeBeeJoysIf you only gave your email address, that is good. But beware of emails that will likely come from scammers in the future.

To check to be sure an email is really from Etsy, go to your Messages using a browser, not the app. Under Messages, Inbox, Order Help Requests is FROM ETSY. Check that folder. If the message does not appear there, it is a scam if it claims to be from Etsy. Anyone can send you a message to your inbox, but only Etsy can use the From Etsy folder.

1 Like
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

@TeeBeeJoys  Don't feel badly; many are being taken in by this infestation of scammers. They have been targeting new Sellers as well as seasoned ones. Oftentimes, they appear shortly after someone lists their first item/s. These thieves are using "Verification" as one of their scams, posing as Etsy Staff/Support, etc.   When you receive a LEGIT Message from Etsy Support/Staff, etc., it will appear in the "From Etsy" Folder (in Messages). If it isn't there, Mark the Message as Spam (so you don't get dinged for S Seller).  *The "From Etsy" Folder is not on the App, however (you must use a browser instead).

Also for future, many scammers are posing as "Buyers", stating they need your email for an Order. They don't, Etsy already has it. When you receive a LEGIT Order, it will appear in "Orders & Shipping" (Left Column of Shop Dashboard); if it isn't there, you have no Order.  Mark the scammer's Message as Spam (so you don't get dinged for S Seller).  And never click on links or engage with them.

Honestly, I don't get why Etsy can't nail these FAKE accounts who are impersonating Etsy Staff/Support, etc. It's happening way too often. Here is the Announcement about the "From Etsy" Folder (currently this is in past Announcements).
https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/New-From-Etsy-section-in-Messages/m-p/143722497#M1899

Here is the other Announcement "Protect Your Account from Scammers" (it was re-pinned for a short time at the top of the Forum, but now it is in past Announcements).
https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/Protect-Your-Account-From-Scammers/m-p/143158945#M1882

Hope this is helpful to you, and may the scammers be wiped out like the roaches they are. Seriously, I am sick of them.  I haven't been targeted personally, but I hate to see it happen to so many.

0 Likes
BarefootBohemia
Inspiration Seeker

Got this too....what happened? Says sales are suspended and has a QR code

0 Likes

@BarefootBohemia Your shop is not suspended.  Do not reply to that message or click any links.  Just put it into Spam.

0 Likes
hannadishirts
Inspiration Seeker

I receive a message to send my exact email 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.