3CrowsVenture
Inspiration Seeker

Message Response Rate Bug - Caused me to miss Star Seller for October

Jump to solution

A buyer asked for a refund 9/12 at 6:52am. I responded with a refund on 9/12 10:52am. As part of the refund I included a message to the buyer. In the Start Seller Message CSV this shows as no response. Yet, when I go into "Messages" to view his request, my message is listed in the right hand column under "Message History."

Etsy, you either need to updated your message response rate calculator to include action notes or fix your UI so that sellers know that a response as part of an action doesn't count as a message response (which wouldn't actually reflect the customer's experience). Boo.

Labels (3)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Message Response Rate Bug - Caused me to miss Star Seller for October

Jump to solution

Did the buyer message you in the message system?  That's what you need to respond to.  If you didn't answer that message then you will get dinged.  The message in the response in the refund does not count for the star seller program. 

View solution in original post

1 Like
16 Replies
TatiMagicArt
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

The exact same thing happened to me this month too, commiserations..I thought the refund reply was part of the original message. So confusing 🥴 but lesson learned I suppose lol!

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@3CrowsVenture wrote:

Etsy, you either need to updated your message response rate calculator to include action notes.....

What are "action notes?"

0 Likes
LynnsLittleShop
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I think he means actions such as refunding and cancellation notices.  

0 Likes
TheHomespunLoft
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@3CrowsVenture 

Set up auto reply then you won't miss one and can get to it when you can. You can create a message that works for you.

0 Likes
LynnsLittleShop
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I totally agree, someone asked me to cancel as it wasn't her size. Why in heavens name would I send her a message and then do her cancellation and refund, when I can message her as I send the cancellation/ refund notice. Why have the option to message them on those notifications if it's not going to count for Star Seller. Yes, lesson learned, just look like you're dumb when they get an extra message from you. 

0 Likes
TatiMagicArt
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I never felt the need for auto messagingas I usually reply straight away, and honestly, I rarely get any messages anyway so annoyed (mostly at myself!) 

0 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Why in heavens name would I send her a message and then do her cancellation and refund, when I can message her as I send the cancellation/ refund notice. 

• Because notes on the refund/cancellation actions are not messages. These action notes are not connected to the Etsy message system, they are part of the refund/cancellation confirmation sent by email.    If you don't respond to the original message you leave the buyer hanging and if there is a delay in the processing of the refund the day can be long enough to cause the buyer concern.
0 Likes

Jump to solution

While all of your arguments are very logical and practical, how is Etsy supposed to know which message (if any) from a buyer was *answered* by the cancellation? Do you want some bot reading every one of your messages and guessing? How many threads would there be in this forum that "some bot incorrectly classified my message"?

2 Likes
3CrowsVenture
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

The response rate only tracks the initial query and response. It's a box in their backend database that gets ticked when you respond within 24 hours. All they need to do is add the Refund/Cancellation action messages to the site logic to give you credit for a response. It's just poor web development or bad UX on Etsy's part.

1 Like

Jump to solution

Did the buyer message you in the message system?  That's what you need to respond to.  If you didn't answer that message then you will get dinged.  The message in the response in the refund does not count for the star seller program. 

1 Like
3CrowsVenture
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Clearly, but it should count. You responded to the buyer's message through a channel provided by Etsy for communicating with the buyer. The star seller program is supposed to measure and reward those who provide a good customer experience. I did that. Why should I get dinged because Etsy UX is bad?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Unfortunately if they message you for ex "cancel this order" and you cancel the order and reply in the cancelation note area( or refund note area, or in the order note area) it does not count as answering the convo/message. Should it? Probably. Does it? No. A live and learn moment. Since you answered them elsewhere you could go spam that original message and it would at least take it off your running total.

0 Likes
3CrowsVenture
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

@hopeandjoystudios Thank you for the reminder to respond through messages so I don't continue to get dinged. You're far more accepting of problems than I am. For 15% of every dollar I make, I want Etsy to provide a solid platform without surprises.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Etsy's shipping policy for items under $100 you do not have to provide tracking numbers.  When a buyer purchases fabric samples from me (under $10) they are sent via regular USPS.  Because there is no tracking number, Etsy docks me EVERY month for not supplying tracking numbers even though I am following Etsy's policy for items  under $!0.00.  SO I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO BE A STAR SELLER.  Etsy needs to make sure they follow their own polices.  Star Seller program a joke.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@designbayou: I think you misunderstood the programs - tracking requirement and Star Seller requirements are different and separate, at least for US sellers. Orders under $10 do not need tracking but ALL physical orders need tracking (or an Etsy label) to count positively for Star Seller.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Oops, item sunder $10.00

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.