BadTimesDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Looking to ship abroad from UK - advice please!

Jump to solution

I've been asked by people in a bunch of countries if I can ship to them but I'm terrified of getting something wrong and causing problems for myself/the buyer. I've searched and searched online but it's a minefield of information out there and even when I find something up to date, I don't know if/how to apply what I'm reading to my business (jewellery). If anyone has any advice on what I need to do in order to ship to the following countries from the UK I would be super grateful!

• Sweden
  • Italy
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • Canada
  • Italy
  • France
  • Germany
  • Ireland
  • Norway

I'm in the process of renting a virtual office address so that I can register this address (rather than my home) if necessary and I always ship via Royal Mail.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Looking to ship abroad from UK - advice please!

Jump to solution

Most of the EU you will have to have local representatives in their countries, and register, and pay, for the packaging laws 

Ireland is the only one with the really high threshold, that I would consider, but I've stopped sending there because their customs don't seem to get on well with IOSS

Of the list above, the only ones I would send to are Canada, Australia, and New Zealand - you don't have USA listed, that would be my no 1 choice.

The address in sellers details, that everyone has to see - even UK buyers, has to be YOUR geographical address, you can't have a virtual office address, or a PO box.

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@BadTimesDesigns 

This is etsy's information on Germany

https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/501392119812

all EU countries have something similar

some have higher thresholds, but quite a few the threshold is zero

and from next year, you will need a local representative too, who will probably also charge

offering to sell to countries where you need a packaging licence comes with a max 200,000 euro fine if you don't register - and I don't have the comma in the wrong place, it's two hundred thousand euros.

Australia, New Zealand and Canada no registration is required

for import VAT

For the EU, etsy collects VAT on orders up to 135 euros,
you have to make sure you have etsy's IOSS number entered electronically on the label - so buy postage from etsy, or royal mail click and drop, where you can enter the IOSS number

you need an invoice in a see through document wallet on the outside, in euros (or their currency) the info in local currency can be taken from the packing slip.

Norway is different, they are in the EEA not the EU, you still need the invoice on the outside, but you have to write the etsy VAT number number on the package, and vat paid (in NOK)

New Zealand and Australia are similar to Norway, you have to have the invoice,  and have to write etsy's GST number for their countries on the outside, with amount of GST paid

Canada you need the invoice, but etsy doesn't collect any GST/HST for them, they pay on import for orders over about $20

You have to have a GEOGRAPHICAL address, the actual building you will be located in, if anyone comes to serve papers on you,

If you physically work at your business address, and you are there a large part of the week, you can use that

It cannot be a virtual office or a PO box, or mail forwarding service.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies

Jump to solution

If you are selling goods to EU Member States which are stored and sent from the UK you will need to register, charge and make declarations regarding VAT for that Member State. This applies if you are using your own website to sell goods. This can be done through the EU Imports One-Stop Shop.

In addition, you will need to get you packaging certificates registered and paid for. You will have to research which ones are required for each European State.

You could start with Lucid & Reclay

https://activate.reclay.de/activate_germany_english/

https://lucid.verpackungsregister.org/

0 Likes
BadTimesDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.

Apologies, this has all gone completely over my head! Does Etsy collect VAT on our behalf like it does with sales tax from customers in the US?

What exactly is a packaging certificate? This isn't something I have come across in my research

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Most of the EU you will have to have local representatives in their countries, and register, and pay, for the packaging laws 

Ireland is the only one with the really high threshold, that I would consider, but I've stopped sending there because their customs don't seem to get on well with IOSS

Of the list above, the only ones I would send to are Canada, Australia, and New Zealand - you don't have USA listed, that would be my no 1 choice.

The address in sellers details, that everyone has to see - even UK buyers, has to be YOUR geographical address, you can't have a virtual office address, or a PO box.

0 Likes
BadTimesDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Could you please explain what you mean by registering and paying for packaging laws with local representatives? I'm not familiar with these terms and it's all going over my head I'm afraid!

I already ship to the US (hence not including it) but it's reassuring to know it's your top pick, thank you! Are there any requirements for Canada, Australia or New Zealand for me to register with their government or anything of the sort? I've come across this for countries like Germany and I want to make sure I'm not missing anything!

Regarding the virtual business address, this would become my shop's business address and has a mail forwarding service (like a PO Box with legal recognition). Do you mean I would still need to state my home address, even if it's different to my business address?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@BadTimesDesigns 

This is etsy's information on Germany

https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/501392119812

all EU countries have something similar

some have higher thresholds, but quite a few the threshold is zero

and from next year, you will need a local representative too, who will probably also charge

offering to sell to countries where you need a packaging licence comes with a max 200,000 euro fine if you don't register - and I don't have the comma in the wrong place, it's two hundred thousand euros.

Australia, New Zealand and Canada no registration is required

for import VAT

For the EU, etsy collects VAT on orders up to 135 euros,
you have to make sure you have etsy's IOSS number entered electronically on the label - so buy postage from etsy, or royal mail click and drop, where you can enter the IOSS number

you need an invoice in a see through document wallet on the outside, in euros (or their currency) the info in local currency can be taken from the packing slip.

Norway is different, they are in the EEA not the EU, you still need the invoice on the outside, but you have to write the etsy VAT number number on the package, and vat paid (in NOK)

New Zealand and Australia are similar to Norway, you have to have the invoice,  and have to write etsy's GST number for their countries on the outside, with amount of GST paid

Canada you need the invoice, but etsy doesn't collect any GST/HST for them, they pay on import for orders over about $20

You have to have a GEOGRAPHICAL address, the actual building you will be located in, if anyone comes to serve papers on you,

If you physically work at your business address, and you are there a large part of the week, you can use that

It cannot be a virtual office or a PO box, or mail forwarding service.

0 Likes
BadTimesDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you for taking the time to write all of that out! This is all really helpful information and I'm still not sure what some of that means but it has at least helped me decide to not risk opening up shipping to the EU! I'm sure it will help others who come looking for this information too

1 Like

Jump to solution

I agree, Ireland is a nightmare for customs returning items.

I think partly it is because they are looking for 11 digit Taric codes, rather than the basic 6-8 digits most other countries are happy with.

The numbers after the first 8 (or is it 6?) can be country specific.

e.g. Most EU countries seem fine with 4911.9100 for photos/prints but Ireland want 4911.9100.90

https://www.anpost.com/Commerce/SME/InternationalSending/Find-a-TARIC-Commodity-code

And as for local reps - you have until the end of the year, maybe longer. They're still arguing about it.

You can still sell into the EU until the year end (so far) to countries with low or zero packaging thresholds - or decide to register with some (some like Germany are low fees) - but unless something changes (and some groups are pushing), yes, they want to harmonise it across the EU BUT we then have to have reps in each country we want to sell to. Crazy! And that's before GPSR is due (possibly) mid December.

If what's currently on the table doesn't change before then, then sadly I and many others will have to completely remove the EU.

1 Like
Arcalliq
Community Maker

Jump to solution
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.