WatercolorTreats
Inspiration Seeker

Local Pick Ups need to be fixed!!

I can't believe how many of us are impacted by the local pickups not having tracking numbers. How is this still not resolved? It seems ridiculous that so many people are reporting this is affecting their Star Seller badge even though they are not being negligent, and yet it's still dinging us! 

I (and many other), should have a perfect Shipping record, yet it's saying 77% because I have a large local customer base. Please resolve this Etsy! This is making it very hard for the little guys!

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
15 Replies

Re: Local Pick Ups need to be fixed!!

it does seem very unfair to get dinged for good customer service, but I also understand that local picks ups can not be verified so it is a double edged sword.

Do you not advertise your items locally? I find that customers who are local call me or email my website to order not via Etsy.

3 Likes

Betreff: Local Pick Ups need to be fixed!!

It’s pretty simple: no tracking number = no proof.

4 Likes

It would be very easy to implement the local pick-up proof that eBay use. The buyer is sent a code, they give that to the seller when they collect their item and the seller inputs it into eBay. Very simple, all the proof you need. 

13 Likes
Vintorious
Community Maker

This is a neat idea. ETA: they would need to make sure the codes can't be faked. I don't know how tricky that might be.

0 Likes

@PriddeyThings 

Exactly. Plus loads of other retailers use it, so it can't be the giant risk everyone here makes it out to be. 

2 Likes

Etsy protects itself,

There is no proof you have delivered for local pickup, and if the person opens a case, they will win and have to be refunded.

Etsy doesn't want this business, so there is nothing for them to fix. It is resolved,

Etsy doesn't want you to do it, so don't do it here. or liv with the consequences.

If I had a large local customer base, I would have my own website, or sell on a website that does allow it too.

2 Likes

@WatercolorTreats  If you have that brisk of a local business, why involve Etsy at all?  Why give a percentage of your revenue away?  That's like making a charitable donation to a non-charitable institution.

Now, if they find you on Etsy, that's another story, but it sounds like you just have local customers.  Don't give your money away when you don't have to.

As @CraftyCornishMaids says, Etsy doesn't want that kind of business - why give it to them?

7 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

THIS.

My local customers buy from my website or I invoice them.  Saves me the 6.5% fee too.  My business card doesn't mention Etsy, most people don't know I have an Etsy site at all.  

Makes sense to train repeat buyers to shop off Etsy. 

4 Likes

Amen. 

@PriddeyThings I have had nothing but good experiences with eBay's process and I love meeting people in person. I had a guy with family in MN drive up from TX to pick up an item. A movie prop company in NY flew someone out to MN who rented a car and picked up several items in several states, including my items (apparently, that was this guy's job - fly all over the country to pick up stuff and drive back to NY - what a cool gig!). Think of all the classic cars and car parts that eBay sells on a daily basis, local pickup is a standard part of how they operate each day. 

1 Like

@PriddeyThings  - Yes, eBay's pickup works. I've purchased large items that way - friend in the State of the seller picks up the item & in our travels we take it off our friend's hands. 

The sadly interesting thing is that while Etsy promotes large oversize items, that's as far as they go. Entering Etsy thru their home page this morning I see "Shop the Look" featuring three shops. One with a wood dining table, one with a metal bed frame, the other with nightstand & a soft sided bed frame. 

I'd guess other users see the same featured items. Having a way to do local pick up would help sellers & might encourage nearby buyers? Right now so may of the shop owners show obscene shipping costs to do a cya or show free shipping & then immediately say "shipping isn't free" in the listing description.  

1 Like

Just send something small and trackable ... a thank you note or something. 

I have local pick-ups and would like to type in local-pickup ... but I can also see how if these were allowed they could be used as a loop-hole for sellers that didn't actually send the items. Etsy has enough problems with scammers and resellers ... they don't need another loop-hole.

I do like the ebay idea ... but wonder what % of Etsy's business is local pick-up/delivery. I wouldn't want to pay more fees for features that have small impacts and for which there are viable work-arounds already.

1 Like
EightMileVintage
Conversation Maker

It's so frustrating that Etsy pushes how shorter shipping distances are good for the planet and then dings us for local pickup. I wasn't aware of what Ebay does for local pickups. Etsy-Ebay-Guy brings all the Ebay ideas here so why hasn't he picked up this one?

1 Like

I always wonder why they don't just enable a "order received" button in the buyers order if the shipping is selected as "pickup/local delivery. Have the buyer physically press a button in their app to confirm receipt, perhaps require a photo of the handover. Problem solved... 

Edit: or combine it as mentioned above the Ebay way with a code only the buyer would have.

0 Likes

Etsy has always been a firm believer in tracking especially if the seller is in the US.  They haven't been a stickler as much for other countries.  Tracking is the only way Etsy knows the item has shipped.

You can use the letter label to send a receipt that satisfies star seller but no matter what, you are without seller protection.  If something goes wrong you are totally responsible.  No help from Etsy.

2 Likes

As far as they are concerned it is not an issue and there is nothing to fix. They don't want in person delivery as they make zero fees off zero shipping charges. Even though they purport to  be "eco conscious". Heavan forbid you hand it to someone even if you both drove cars it is less pollution than putting it on trucks. Shop local! Buy local! But we are going to penalize for hand delivery.  Pssht.

It is like all the college age kids yelling about the environment and climate change. Have you SEEN the dumpsters on move out day? They toss microwaves and refrigerators and couches and chairs. I watched a kid toss his comforter, sheets and pillow yesterday as I was helping my son move out(into a dumpster with all the before mentioned items) there was clothing sticking out too. I told my son You boys are TERRIBLE! what about eco friendly? He said more girls than guys live in this unit! There was a $50 6 foot folding table broke in half because they pitched it off the 2nd floor instead of folding it in half and carrying it down,

4 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.