Local Delivery- how to avoid effecting star seller metrics?

I have been reading the articles here that ask about the star seller metrics and local delivery. I have seen in a couple of posts where Etsy quotes their policy for achieving star seller status and it excludes locally delivered orders.

Can I get support from other Etsy Sellers to protest the policy that prohibits us from achieving the 100% tracking metric if we hand deliver an item? It is terrible customer service to require something get shipped if the person lives next door and is less money out of the OUR pockets if we ship items to buyers for free, which Etsy also encourages. I recently had a sale and I marked it as Local delivery through the process that I saw posted in another stream. And now I am at 83% of the tracking metric, even though the other post stated that it would NOT count against my score.

I am formally stating that I think it is pretty rotten that sellers get dinged JUST because someone picks up a order. Etsy should change their policy to allow us to mark items a local delivery and include them as having tracking numbers. 

From the Etsy corporate perspective, with their new policy for guaranteeing on time delivery, I can see where they would want tracking numbers. But I am here to say that it is pretty rotten to REQUIRE us to pay for shipping when we can save money on a few orders by hand delivering! 

What does the rest of the hive mind think? Am I just angry about something that should not be a big deal?

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
3 Likes
15 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Local Delivery- how to avoid effecting star seller metrics?

If a person lives next door to me I would delete the listing and have them pay me in cash. Anyone else gets the purchase mailed with tracking. I don’t deliver and my HOA does not allow pickup. 

7 Likes

Unless Etsy introduces a system like eBay uses for in person delivery/pick up, they have zero proof that the item was indeed delivered. With no proof, the seller is putting themselves at risk as they aren't covered by any protection. I see why Etsy does what they do, but it would be good if they set up a confirmation like eBay does so that both buyer and seller confirm online.

5 Likes

Why give Etsy any of your hard-earned money.  If the person to whom you are selling is your next-door neighbor, it's doubful that they found you on Etsy.

Keep the sale off Etsy and keep all the money.  Etsy is not going to change the rules for those who don't think they have to reply to all messages nor are they going to change for those sellers that want to hand deliver.

Instead of asking Etsy to change the rules (when literally millions are complying with the rules) you consider changing.  Don't give Etsy part of your earnings when you are selling to a neighbor.  Etsy didn't earn it.

Etsy's game - Etsy's rules.  

Hand deliverers and message non-repliers are definitely in the minority - Etsy isn't going to change to accommodate the ones that don't want to comply with the rules they set out 2-1/2 years ago.  Yeah, it's been that long.

1 Like
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Etsy has no way of verifying that a hand delivered or pickup item was actually received by the buyer.  It is your choice whether you consider actual customer service more important than Etsy's canned version. 

That said, if you live in the US, you do have the option to purchase a letter rate stamp through Etsy labels for around 60c, which counts as tracked for SS even though it isn't tracked.  You can print two copies of a receipt and have the buyer sign both of them on delivery/pickup.  Keep one for your own records and post the buyer's copy to them with a thank you after the delivery/pickup.  This satisfies SS rules and gives you protection in the unlikely event that the buyer claims non-delivery.

0 Likes
StitchyFrood
Conversation Maker

Many local deliveries are sellers using their family and friends to bump up their numbers. This is shilling and Etsy shouldn't make it any easier. 

0 Likes

As far as I can tell- I just don't think star seller has anything to do with sales. I have been on a downward trajectory since it started. I may stop replying/ marking spam and see what happens next. 

0 Likes
ZenCatPottery
Conversation Maker

@ReserveCraftworks 

What I have done in this situation is enter a tracking number from a previous sale that is either en route or has already been delivered, into that sale.  When I met my customer I explained the situation and that the tracking number on their order was obviously not for their item (as it was being picked up).  But, Etsy was satisfied that I shipped on time and that it was “delivered.”

0 Likes

@ZenCatPottery: "What I have done in this situation is enter a tracking number from a previous sale that is either en route or has already been delivered, into that sale." You do realize that the customer and Etsy could construe this as fraud since you are intentionally providing false information.

0 Likes
ZenCatPottery
Conversation Maker

@BagmakerSupply   The customer is ok with it as I explain the situation to them and how would Etsy ever find out?  In all my years on Etsy, I have only had a few people who I delivered to in person.

0 Likes

@ZenCatPottery: "... and how would Etsy ever find out?" Because you publicly posted it for the whole world to see.

0 Likes
ZenCatPottery
Conversation Maker

@BagmakerSupply  I was just trying to help another shop owner.  It’s been years since I did this so I think I’m safe.  If it ever comes up again, I’ll just mail a thank you card with tracking info as was suggested below.

But frankly, this is a problem that Etsy has caused by offering no option for pickup or in person delivery, w/o losing your Star Seller status.

0 Likes

Just send the buyer a tracked letter that Thank you, paid and picked up in the mail.

If the friend/neighbor/relative finds the item on Etsy, I'll keep it on Etsy and get dinged for the pickup. If I didn't have enough orders to cover the ding ... I'll send them a tracked letter that says Thank you.

If a friend comes over and sees something they like ... and that does happen ... I sell it to them directly. 

1 Like

@GlassyFields  I don't sell to friends thru Etsy.

Why should I give them part of my hard-earned money when the customer didn't come thru them?

Sadly, I am so soft-hearted that I end up selling for a lot less to friends/family or just plain giving it away!  LOL although sometimes it really isn't funny!

1 Like
ZenCatPottery
Conversation Maker

@GlassyFields  This is a really good idea.

1 Like

@mommawhazelsquilts 

When a friend or relative orders on Etsy, I feel like I have to keep the order on Etsy ... to avoid fee-avoidance.

I prefer it when my friends buy directly through me. I do have a friend who uses my 'gallery' (the shelves in my pole barn where I keep all my larger items) as a gift shop. She gets the Friends and Family discount. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.