Listings deactivated in error

Has anyone recently had listings deactivated for the reason of "not handmade" when the items are 100% handmade? Everything in my shop is handmade and they just deactivated 2 of my wyvern dragons. If those aren't handmade it shouldn't take me a week to make the darn things and I shouldn't be going through so much fabric and stuffing! Is this just a glitch or is it a "reason" to take away my star seller status and put my shop on reserve? 

In all of the years I have been here I have never had a listing deactivated nor any cases against my shop. For the first time in all those years, I had a month (June) of no sales at all and now this. 

I did a chat with support and of course they can't help me and had to escalate my issue. I won't hold my breath I will hear back anytime soon. (glad I sell on another platform and with my own website)

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
5 Replies

Re: Listings deactivated in error

Others have had such notices.

You may need to email Etsy (not chat) to discuss how you make the items.  Does this handmade item come from a pattern?  Your own pattern or is it based on something you have seen.  Does the email tell you that it was a takedoven from a company?  If so you may need to talk to them or you may need to counter claim if this is a copyright issue.  Some of the items in your shop seem reminisicent of other plush animals so that may be where the deactivation is coming from.

Sorry can't offer more help.  

0 Likes

They are from a purchased pattern that allows for making the items and selling the finished product. Nothing in my shop is copyright nor trademark. I won't even use and list items made with licensed fabrics. The email stated that they weren't handmade. Everything in my shop is handmade.  

0 Likes
TheForestNook
Inspiration Seeker

Yes, this same thing just happened to us. I am not sure how to even contact anyone at all about this.

0 Likes

@RivermistCreationsUS: It is hard to speculate on why a particular listing was deactivated, but as mentioned before Etsy is cracking down on what they feel inappropriate. Copyright and trademark infringements is a large factor, but it also seems that the bots are looking for trigger words with no consideration for context. Just as an example that may or may not apply to you, if you say an item is ivory colored the listing may get flagged because ivory is not allowed to be sold on Etsy. Since Etsy is now also factoring descriptions in search, they along with titles, tags, and materials (and possibly even alt tags if you are using them) are all probably being checked. And the bots are also "reading" images. The best we mere sellers can do is make educated guesses.

Plus the bot that is doing the deactivation may be looking for more complex triggers than a single word or phrase which makes it even harder to figure out the true reasoning.

Additionally, according to some posts in this forum, the reason stated in the deactivation eMails can be at best vague, perhaps misleading, and at worst completely incorrect.

0 Likes

So to sum it up, Etsy is broken. I keep staying here through all of the issues that have happened over the last few years but it gets harder every day to keep doing so. 

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.