Listings Suddenly Being Deactivated

Within the last couple of weeks, whenever my svg bundles are renewed or edited (even just price), the Etsy bot seems to be deactivating them only to reinstate them a few days later. Nothing I'm doing is IP infringement, or against policy. Most things are pretty generic (fall designs, for example). Getting through to support for an answer is an absolute nightmare, with canned responses being thrown around constantly with no real detail or reasoning. 

Is anyone else running into this?

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DigitalEcstasyDesign

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
24 Replies
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Re: Listings Suddenly Being Deactivated

Lately there have been lots of auto bot deactivations for a variety of reasons. There does seem to be a problem with svgs but we can't figure out why. You mentioned 'fall designs' - did you use the word 'Amber' - that word is now problematic (due to Amber teething necklaces with are considered dangerous and therefore banned). Unfortunately the bots don't seem to be able to verify the context so many items are being deactivated in error. In some cases, and with lack of support feedback, you should probably just carry on and hope they are reactivated.

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply! No go on using the word 'Amber'. I have had probably about 10-15 varying listings deactivated and then reactivated over the last couple of weeks. Each one has no real relation to the other, which is why I'm so confused.

0 Likes

@PityCentDigitals  :  As mentioned before Etsy is cracking down on what they feel inappropriate. Copyright and trademark infringements is a large factor, but it also seems that the bots are looking for trigger words with no consideration for context. Just as an example that may or may not apply to you, if you say an item is ivory colored the listing may get flagged because ivory is not allowed to be sold on Etsy. I doubt that they will ever share the "naughty word" lost with us. Since Etsy is now also factoring descriptions in searches, they along with titles, tags. and materials are all probably being checked. And the bots are also "reading" images. Since the listings are being reactivated it would seem your listings are the victims of false positives. Hopefully you have / will receive an eMail from Etsy explaining the reason.

0 Likes

I really wish they would flag/make apparent which words the bot identified... I'm sure it's some word that none of us would even think as being a problem and we can't make changes with limited information.

2 Likes

I also had a item deactivated stating I am braking there policy of selling children's sleep wear, I only sell adult pajamas, I do not even have any children's items in my shop. Waiting for a response from Etsy.

0 Likes
DesignedByRiSVGs
Inspiration Seeker

Hi, that's also a problem in my shop. Just a few minutes ago 12 of my listings were deactivated for reasons I do not understand. This has been going on for almost 3 weeks now and its frustrating because they can't seem to figure out how to fix this.

2 Likes
VibeEnvy
Conversation Maker

I feel like I remember a post about listings deactivated that may had something to do with pumpkins, possibly related to some agriculture trigger word and not graphics but the bots don't know the difference. Perhaps something related to native Americans triggering the racism bot, I feel I remember things taken down for that and Thanksgiving stuff can dip into that territory.

0 Likes

@DesignedByRiSVGs   :  Looking at a couple of your listings, nowhere do you state that the designs are 100% your own artwork.  "If any items violate copyrights please do not hesitate to message me ..." implies that these are not your own work and you are reselling. That could be your answer. It is hard to speculate on why a particular listing was deactivated, but Etsy is cracking down on what they feel inappropriate. Copyright and trademark infringements is a large factor, but it also seems that the bots are looking for trigger words with no consideration for context. Just as an example that may or may not apply to you, if you say an item is ivory colored the listing may get flagged because ivory is not allowed to be sold on Etsy. Since Etsy is now also factoring descriptions in search, they along with titles, tags. and materials are all probably being checked. And the bots are also "reading" images. Hopefully you have / will receive an eMail from Etsy explaining the reason.

2 Likes
DesignedByRiSVGs
Inspiration Seeker

Oh they are all mine, I draw them from scratch. I did not know that i have to implicitely state that.

0 Likes

@DesignedByRiSVGs 

The US Army & US Marine are trademarked, as are all branches of the US military.  If you draw your own artwork and use the Marines or the US Army names, you're selling counterfeit goods.    The Marines are notorious for making sweeps here.  They are very active in protecting the trademark. 

7 Likes

@DesignedByRiSVGs  :  You don't HAVE to say that this is all your own artwork, but with all the copied / stolen / infringing digital that is out there I would think it would be a good sales point.

2 Likes

@PityCentDigitals YES!!! We are having the same thing happen in our shop! We have nothing trademarked or any copyright infringement. The last four products we've changed the pictures for have been deactivated and reactivated, just like yours! The email states that Etsy thinks we are selling counterfeit goods or things that go against the TOU, none of which are true.

We've reached out to Etsy because the emails also state that we could be put under reserve or have our shop closed altogether. We haven't heard back, but I'll definitely let you know if we do. We're scared to death to do anything in our shop because, obviously, we don't want to get shut down. If you get any more information, please let us know! 

2 Likes
DesignedByRiSVGs
Inspiration Seeker

@FallenAngelBrass Hi, may I know where you found this information? From what I researched from the DOD web site, the only ones you are not allowed to use are official Military Marks, meaning the actual artwork (seals, logo and symbols) that the Military uses. The words "Army", "Military" and "Navy" cannot be copyrighted.

Also, there seems to be no common reason because most of my military themed SVGs (I make a lot of military themed SVGs) are ok but some of my SVGs that are about Moms, Rhinos, Tigers have been marked for review as well.

0 Likes
ColoringRomance
Conversation Maker

The political spelling of the rhino animal is spelled RINO (Republican in name only).  Military veteran and a Republican candidate for Senate, Eric Greitens posted a campaign video of him with a firearm saying he's RINO hunting and suggested that people get a RINO hunting permit.

Different spelling of the word, but a possibility the bots have have flagged it if it was used in combination with military.

1 Like

@DesignedByRiSVGs 

"The provisions of this Order requiring prior approval of the Secretary of the Navy, CMC, or the designee apply only to the use or imitation of the seal, emblem, names, or initials of the Marine Corps that suggest official approval, endorsement, or authorization is in connection with a promotion, goods, services, or commercial activity."

Just one of many places that state that the use of military branch names  in order to sell counterfeit goods is an IP violation.

0 Likes

@ColoringRomance also if you spell it Rhino, that is also a firearm that may get flagged since they really go after anything firearms which is very annoying.

0 Likes

Just fyi… Despite what @FallenAngelBrass  has posted, ‘army’ ‘navy’ and ‘military’ used on their own are in fact generic words. They are used by virtually every country on the planet that has an armed forces of that type. The US does not own those words individually. IP infringement would require the full name of the specific branch, not just the generic term.

0 Likes

@PityCentDigitals have you heard anything back from Etsy? Yesterday I put up a new listing and it's still up; today I redid one of my pics and the very second I hit publish, I got a deactivated email from them. All my other products that they've deactivated have been reactivated, but this is getting ridiculous. 

I've opened a support ticket, but of course, they're not getting back to me.

0 Likes

Not a single word. The last time I spoke to a human on the phone, they kept dodging my questions and saying "our internal team will have to take a look" and "you opened a ticket on x date" (the ticket was about 3 weeks ago). They refused to give me any information, and were quite short with me.

Their favorite also seems to be "we should have sent you an automated email with all relevant information", when it reality I am sent a canned automated message with ZERO specifics about my listing at all. They basically just say "don't do bad things" and count that as a "response".

0 Likes

@PityCentDigitals same here. Tried chat, phone calls, and going through the help link. It would be nice if they would figure this out. All my products end up being reactivated by Etsy within a couple days, but I keep wondering what will be the straw that breaks the camel's back with them and they'll just shut my shop down even though I'm doing absolutely nothing wrong!

0 Likes

Ive been trying for a months and it got to a point where they started to remove me form messages and block me from some part of their website but they continue to bill me monthly which I will contact my credit card company about to report it. 

0 Likes
BrushandBull
Inspiration Seeker

Items I have posted and paid for just disappear from my shop- started organizing my inventory with new system and am noticing many items have just disappeared- what's up???

0 Likes

Same issue here. All of a sudden listing is deactivated, the reactivated a few days later. As this post was created in August 2022, I assume Etsy just does not care. I have support tickets spilling out of my you know what and all I get is canned responses... actually, once I got a reply that said it was done in error. Oh and one more thing. The guesses... err advice re IP is inaccurate on these Etsy forums. I am way short of a lawyer, but before espousing some wisdom re IP, have a read of the following article:
https://ipwatchdog.com/2018/09/19/oem-trademarks-aftermarket-exploring-boundaries/id=101163/

1 Like

They only care for the lager stores that brings them millions . The little stores like ours means nothing to them. All my led items removed except , while other stores sells batteries and led product . Etsy pick and choose who they makes them more money 

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.