Listing titles cut off after using comma.

In search, I just saw my listing titles are cut off as soon as there is a comma.  So Shaving Soap, Bourboned Pumpkin, Womens Shave Product  now just shows up as Shaving Soap in search.  Test or something technical? 

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
12 Replies

Re: Listing titles cut off after using comma.

Yes, we know about it.  It is a (ridiculous!) test. 

2 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

This test has been going on.  I never make changes due to tests, but after seeing the only Titles which were not chopped off after the first punctuation/special character, I removed my commas.  I don't like doing this (it reads best with the commas); and I'm not suggesting anyone do it, but I'm seeing Titles such as "Boo", "Custom", "10", and so forth.  I can imagine Buyers who are in this test may very well think that's the way the Seller chose to write their Titles.  It doesn't even make sense.

6 Likes

Wow, I am seeing some strange listing titles.  This is an awful test. 

3 Likes

Is there any punctuation this doesn't apply to? I was under the impression (as of a couple days ago) that commas prevented the titles from being shortened. Sounds like I was mistaken in my understanding of it.

0 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

With commas,  will chop the Title off after the first comma.  That includes special characters.  Some Sellers said it doesn't apply to a period, but for now I just took commas out of my Titles (as those were the only Titles which were not chopped off in search results).  Those which had no commas or special characters.

1 Like

@PrevntProducts @ChillwolfArt 
I tested some of my listings in search and commas caused a definite cut-off. But some other punctuation is not so straight forward. Sometimes the text is shown but the hover text is cut-off.

Examples from my shop
Full title: Two "Film Fun" Annuals 1948 & 1950, English Children's Books, Cartoons Stories
Title in search: Two "Film Fun" Annuals 1948 & 1950
Hover text in search: Two

Full title: Vintage Feminine Boudoir Box - Lace, Satin & Pink Roses for Jewellery or Trinkets
Title in search: Vintage Feminine Boudoir Box - Lace
Hover text in search: Vintage Feminine Boudoir Box - Lace

Full title: 1976 "Australia's Railway Days - Milestones in Railway History" by Brian Carroll
Title in search: 1976 "Australia's Railway Days - Milestones in R..
Hover text in search: 1976

So it looks like dashes and ampersands work ok. But opening and closing quotation marks look like they work initially, except they cut off the rest of the hover text.

It's a minefield out there.

2 Likes

Things have changed since my report of two days ago. It seems to be a moving target as well...

Full title: Two "Film Fun" Annuals 1948 & 1950, English Children's Books, Cartoons Stories
Title in search: Two "Film Fun"
Hover text in search: Two "Film Fun"

Full title: Vintage Feminine Boudoir Box - Lace, Satin & Pink Roses for Jewellery or Trinkets
Title in search: Vintage Feminine Boudoir Box
Hover text in search: Vintage Feminine Boudoir Box

Full title: 1976 "Australia's Railway Days - Milestones in Railway History" by Brian Carroll
Title in search: 1976 "Australia's Railway Days
Hover text in search: 1976 "Australia's Railway Days

It looks like dashes have become a no-no and quotation marks are undecided.

0 Likes
NoFrogsAllowed
Conversation Maker

I can't decide which is worse, burying the description or cutting off the titles.  I'm leaning toward the "missing" descriptions.

0 Likes

Both together is the worst!

0 Likes

I thought I was doing OK with this, until I noticed some of my listing with  multiple colors at the beginning  - such as "Blue, Rust, and Gold Pillow Cover" are just showing as "Blue" .

How ridiculous.

0 Likes
StoneCircleWools
Inspiration Seeker

I removed all commas from my listing titles so the info will show properly. It looks awful without the commas though. I´m not surprised that sales have been so slow again, I noticed this ridiculous testing just two days ago. Who knows for how long potential customers have been skipping my listings because all they would read was "necklace" or "size M". Great job Etsy! To make things worse, a returning customer contacted me today saying that she loves my products very much but will not buy on Etsy anymore as she lost her money last time she placed an order there. I didn´t dare ask what exactly had happened... This is SO frustrating!!

1 Like

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.