Label Adjustments That Won't Stop!

I've been selling on Etsy for years and have never gotten a Label Adjustment until recently. I've had 4 to date and I know they are all wrong. My post master has verified that the way I'm shipping is accurate. USPS doesn't follow up on my dispute. They change the package size, weight, and charge me more money. I send hundreds of the same size/weight packages that aren't adjusted, but going from it never happening to happening 4 times in the last 8 weeks is extremely time consuming, And I'm still out of the money taken. Loss of income and lost time trying to get it back! 

Is anyone else seeing a ridiculous unjust increase of Ground Advantage weight and even upgrades to Priority (without receiving priority service).

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
5 Likes
33 Replies

Re: Label Adjustments That Won't Stop!

I have had a few most are for less than $2, sometimes they are in my favor.  I am guessing that at times they sample a few packages.  I just wonder if they always know what rate we are paying.  I have had Fedex adjustments as low as 2 cents!

0 Likes

Looking at your items, I'm wondering if your envelopes are thick enough?  I've gotten a few of those adjustments recently and am now regularly adding packing peanuts to my padded envelopes where the item included is not that thick.  Those are often the ones that will bump you to priority, too.  It's frustrating, I know!  

5 Likes

I'm going to start doing the same. This doesn't address saying something is over 2 lbs when it's less than 2oz, but it might help with some packages? But why all of a sudden?? My post office says that because my packages are lumpy and not even, they need to be shipped Ground. They don't mention height because of the lumpiness.

0 Likes

Are you making sure the envelopes are 3/4" thick at some point? Not doing that can allow your packages to be bumped up to Priority Mail.

Is dealing with adjustments really taking up a significant amount of your time? With Pirate Ship, it takes about 30 seconds to dispute an adjustment. I'd suggest getting your labels there if you have to deal with this a lot. The review and refund happens pretty quickly as well. 

4 Likes

According to my post office, since my packages are lumpy, they don't qualify as a flat and must be shipped Ground Advantage. They don't look at the thickness because of the unevenness. 

1 Like

@ShirasGarden   That is what @Adorabilities  was referring to.  I suspect your packages are too small and getting squished between other packages.  Since this is happening often, rethink your packaging.  Are you using a box?  Might be time to do so.  And if pricing is an issue get rid of free shipping and charge the buyer.  

Still I don't too there is enough unevenness considering the items.  There has to be enough variation for it not to be considered flat and yours could get flattened in the process. 

1 Like

@ShirasGarden 
There is also a difference in Ground Advantage and Priority. (I'm not talking about flats versus packages.) Ground Advantage packages must have a bump of at least 3/4", or else USPS can adjust them to be a Priority package. It makes no sense, but that's how it works.
: )

2 Likes
digitaldoodlebug
Conversation Maker

@Adorabilities 

It can be rigid, or 3/4" thick, or more than 1/4" in thickness variation. I've read people use the packing peanut trick. Perhaps it doesn't work all the time if it deflates during shipping or gets run through a machine?

0 Likes

@digitaldoodlebug 

I don't use packing peanuts exactly for that reason. I cut cardstock into 3/4" strips, roll them up, and staple them to keep their shape. Then I make sure they are aligned correctly in my bubble mailer. They would need to be stepped on to crush that shape. (I guess it could happen, but it hasn't, in thousands of bubble mailers.)

0 Likes
CanningCrafts
Conversation Maker

@Adorabilities @digitaldoodlebug   Instead of packaging peanuts, I use a piece of 3/4” thick poly-foam. It takes about 3lbs of weight to smash it, but it still never gets flattened like a peanut. And even if it does get smoothed some, my rigid envelopes are still over 1/4” & lumpy. Just having the foam inside makes the whole envelope more rigid too.

2 Likes
CanningCrafts
Conversation Maker

If you’re getting adjustments raising the price from ounces to pounds, your envelope is most likely getting stuck to another package when it is getting scanned along the way. This is easy to dispute if you buy labels on PirateShip. They issue a credit in a week.  But when I did labels on Etsy, I would never get confirmation of an adjustment approval. But the credit would show up in my payment account weeks later. So check your payment account to see if there is a shipping credit there. 

I’ve found that making my packages both rigid AND thick helps, but I still get incorrect adjustments. I have won every dispute, which is easy to do on PirateShip.

4 Likes

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions. Hopefully I can get this rectified quickly!

0 Likes

I few days ago I got a Label Adjustment that cost me $84.95. Then I got several more back to back. I wrote about that on the forum last week. I called the number that was linked to attached (1-844-819-5187) to the dispute and got some of my money back the next day. But now I have almost no views and no sales anymore. I’m glad Etsy isn’t and never was my only source of income. It is too hard making money here and then getting these inaccurate adjustment fees taken right back that are clearly not accurate. 

1 Like

@SWAGcollectibles: "... got some of my money back the next day. But now I have almost no views and no sales anymore." Unlikely the two are related. The adjustments come from USPS and are merely passed through Pitney Bowes and Etsy to you.

2 Likes

The next hurdle is to get USPS to investigate the situation!

0 Likes

Update:

USPS put only one of my label adjustments in their system for review. When you email, they don't put you into the system apparently. The only reason it was put into the system was because my post office called to say I never ship anything that heavy (I was being charged for over 2 lbs for something that is less than 2 oz). I finally got 2 emails regarding it and they changed the reason to that the label was wrong (instead of not enough postage). So it was denied in one email and the case was closed in another email (so is it closed or denied with an appeal process)? The denied email said I could appeal, but they want me to jump through all of these hoops. I have to tell them what the product is (I did that in the original email). They want a  photo of the product. They want a photo of the product on a scale on top of the packaging it was shipped with and showing the weight. They want a photo with it packaged and showing the dimensions with a ruler. 

The 2nd label adjustment has never been put in the system, but my post office looked it up and saw it riding on top of a priority mail envelope. So of course I was charged for Priority Mail.

The 3rd and 4th label adjustments have also never been put in their system. They too were upgraded to priority mail. I haven't asked the post office to look up the photos on those 2 because they already have spent time looking into the first 2 for me. So I don't know if label adjustments 3 and 4 are also riding on a priority package??

My gripe is this. Some people are saying it's a rip off. I wanted to give the benefit of the doubt, but I'm also now inclined to say they are stealing from some of us.

1) I feel they have a responsibility to honestly look at each dispute and not ignore the facts. Their photos add a lot of proof.

2) They owe us the right to dispute by actually putting our inquiry into their system to be looked into. We shouldn't have to get out local post office involved to get our dispute put into the system. I worked to make that money and now I'm expected to work to 'hopefully' get it back. Further, I'm not sure about showing my customer's products??? Maybe they don't want me expressing what was shipped to them???

So to date, I've put a lot of time into this and nothing to show for it except an unfair loss of income that is starting to feel like theft.

1 Like

@ShirasGarden   Are you sending this items as packages or as letters/flats?  That is a crucial question.  Letter mail is handled differently than packages.  So USPS investigates packages not letters so why your emails are not happening.  Your item got placed on top of a priority flat which can have tracking.  So the confusion and its not just USPS,

I still suggest rethinking your packaging and sending them as packages and not as flats or letters if you want this not to happen too often,  

0 Likes

All four label adjustments have been packages. 

0 Likes

The tracking can be seen on each package I've sent when they take photos. The one riding on top of the priority mail you can see both the priority mail tracking and the tracking on my package. But they haven't even put it into their system to look into it.

0 Likes

A couple of thoughts here.

1) I understand that USPS is installing machines in facilities that don't have them that weigh and measure the packages as they go down the conveyor belt. 

2) If you use bubble mailers, as I do, trim the edges of the flap before you seal them. That way no part of the adhesive on the flap is loose to get stuck to other packages are to hand up on the belt or machine.

3) Make sure your postage scales are accurate and not our of adjustment. This can easily happen over a period of time.

0 Likes

Thank you for your suggestions. And you are correct. My post office told me that they are using a new system now. Since this has never happened to me until 2 months ago, we have concluded that the new system is likely at fault. I'm trying to figure out how to keep it from happening again. My scales are accurate. I already ruled that out. The new system is one issue, but why they aren't putting the disputes into their system is another issue. I've seen other people say the same thing; that they aren't looking into the disputes. Thank you again.

0 Likes
CanningCrafts
Conversation Maker

@ShirasGarden  I don’t understand why you are being asked to take photos of the packaging & tell them what the contents are. USPS should have photos of your package being shipped with this system.

I think you should consider switching to PirateShip to purchase labels. If you are getting more adjustments, it is at least much easier to dispute through PirateShip. They handle it all for you. You do not have to send photos for adjustment disputes. I had 23 adjustments last year & all were approved within a week. I just had an adjustment today that increased the weight from 4oz up to 1.5 lbs & switched it to Priority flat rate (shipping price went up $15). They will easily be able to see that is incorrect because my package was stuck to another, & I will be credited within a week. You can track all adjustments on a report page on PirateShip to keep on top of everything.

2 Likes

I'm looking into Pirate Ship and Ship Station. I also don't understand why I'm asked to jump through all of the hoops with photos either. Especially after the post master called and verified I never ship anything of that weight. My concern is getting tracking to the customers and into the Etsy system. I assume it's a simple process?? Thank you for your suggestions. Quite a few have suggested using a Pirate Ship or Ship Station.

0 Likes
CanningCrafts
Conversation Maker

@ShirasGarden You can integrate PirateShip with Etsy & it will automatically add tracking & send the customer your shipping notice. It does send the shipping notice when you buy the label though. So if you prep orders a day earlier, just take note that the shipping email is triggered when you buy the label.

If you get an adjustment with PirateShip, they will email you. But I have periodically gotten adjustments & not gotten an email from them. There is a "reports" page on PirateShip where you can periodically check to make sure of any outstanding adjustments.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.