tambambaubles
Inspiration Seeker

Items in my shop not appearing in the search results

My views have randomly dropped and I can't figure out why, especially on one item.

When I search, for example, "stethoscope ring", it doesn't appear in the Etsy search (even if I open a new private window without any of my search algorithms saved).

This ring was one of my highest viewed and highest purchased, and now even after searching 10+ search results, it doesn't appear...

Anyone else have this same problem? How did you fix it?

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
12 Replies

Re: Items in my shop not appearing in the search results

Your items are indexed.

Your items are in search.  Your ring has a high competition.  That could be one reason not seeing it high up in search.  I did have to do a price filter to find it 

Searching privately does not mean what most people thinks it means.  It just means a search history is not kept. 

With so few items and perhaps tags and titles not optimized for Etsy the items are not appearing high up in search.  Your shop is also incomplete and Etsy has said that incomplete shops can push back a shop in search.  

0 Likes
tambambaubles
Inspiration Seeker

Thanks for your reply! A couple questions:

How do I optimize my titles for my items to appear high in the search results? 

If I had more items, my shop would appear higher?

I did not know my shop was incomplete, how do I "complete" it?

0 Likes

If you are lucky enough to get someone to click on your listing because you somehow drove traffic to it through an ad or social media or direct marketing, the algorithm might move it up in search and then you would get better placement when the keywords that are in your title and tags are searched.

0 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Add your shop location so you come up in local searches.

0 Likes
tambambaubles
Inspiration Seeker

Thank you! I just added a shop location and title, but I still cannot see my items (stethoscope ring) in the search results.

0 Likes

I just did the search on stethoscope ring and see that there are "1000+ plus ads" for this item. If you don't see your item in all the pages rendered, this means your item is on a page past the first 250 pages that come up for this search query. You will need to use filters or other long-tailed keyword searches to find your item, assuming you have more keywords in your tags that can narrow it down such that you product is unique enough to come up in a search with less competition. 

0 Likes
Wakaleka
Conversation Maker

Cute items indeed. But the cacti photos aren't doing your shop any favors - can hardly see your jewelry. Emerald Waterfall Ring came up on page 1 search. Add more items for sure. Promote on social for sure. TikTok comes to mind for your shop. Make a banner. All good advice given by other sellers.

1 Like
LastCentury
Community Maker

100% this shop needs a photography tutorial because the items are lost... & the toe ring? what toe ring? I thought it was for sandals. No one will click on that listing if it does come up in search.

2 Likes
PoochandTabby
Conversation Maker

Just a suggestion to re-read the seller handbook and the search and ranking disclosure to see Etsy's updated guidelines for photography, tags, titles, etc. needed for ranking.

One of the biggest components now for search is the photography element. Your photos need to clearly show what you're selling, but your pics are super busy with the background and the item is small in some cases, so you can't make out what the item looks like at first glance. 

Since AI runs the show now, by updating all these items, you should be able to rank a little higher. It's less of a technical issue, since you are indexed, and more that your listings aren't set up the best way for search. 

2 Likes

Because a stethoscope is a medical device, the word could be shadowbanned on Etsy.

There are certain words that are banned from general search on Etsy. This is done for several reasons - to prevent people from selling illegal items, or to limit them to certain searches (like "Mature" item searches).

1 Like
SugarTaffySoap
Conversation Maker

@tambambaubles  I don't see a stethoscope ring in your shop so why would it show up in search? 

0 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Looks like you've had some items deactivated by Etsy. Perhaps they removed it from search prior to deactivating? Etsy did say that they would be doing this while they check suspect listings for policy violations - I'm just not aware whether they actually started doing it yet (it's difficult to check). Check your email inbox.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.