Not sure if anybody else is having this issue, but for the last couple of days whenever I click on an item to look at it, there is no item description showing. Not sure why this is the case. I even looked at items I have looked at previously and know they have a description.

Many thanks

Re: Item Description Not Appearing

Jump to solution

I got this answer from Etsy back as I emailed them about the issue that customers or seller themselves can not find or see the descripton at one sight:

.....  The listing description can be found below the reviews. We believe this layout will provide our buyers with a better shopping experience and it will be easier for buyers to see all of a shop's information in a single column. Additionally, buyers will be able to easily add your items to their cart every step of the way when scrolling the listing page whereas before the option to add an item to a cart only existed near the listing photo.

We often run tests on Etsy with the goal of bringing more sales to our sellers. Even if a feature already seems to be working well, we find that there's always room for improvement and new opportunities to bring even more business. As ecommerce is continually evolving, we run experiments on Etsy to help test out ways to make it easier for buyers to find what they are looking for and make a purchase. Testing allows us to build better tools for the entire Etsy community.

We keep a careful eye on stats that tell us exactly how buyers and sellers change their behavior because of tests, but we know it’s not all about the data. We also listen to what the community is telling us via email, feedback forms, the Forums, and other avenues.

It's really valuable to hear your perspective on potential changes so we get a more complete picture, and I want you to know that I'm noting your feedback and will be sharing it with our teams to review.'

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Jump to solution

I have received the same response, word-for-word.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

everyone should send an email to: developer@etsy.zendesk.com

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I think I will start to put my description really into a picture, this way my customers can see it without the need to search for it! I might start my new listings with that. Shame on Etsy, that they don't hear their sellers! This is causing so much problems! 

8 Likes
ArtellectAtelier
Inspiration Seeker

Betreff: Item Description Not Appearing

Jump to solution

It would be nice if etsy would finally stop making changes without asking the community. Is it so hard for etsy to let the sellers vote before a change is made or not?

7 Likes
JardinAntiques
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I am going through my items and adding the following to the title.  "DESCRIPTION Is Located AFTER reviews! Etsy has changed location! Please scroll down!!!!!!" I do have to adjust as we are only allowed 140 characters in our titles. But at least buyers will know where to look for the description. I noticed this in a few items I looked at in the past few days and I thought how does this person expect to sell this item without a description and details? Now I know it was not their lack of salesmanship, but Etsy's stupid idea of improvement!

3 Likes
MorliBird
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I keep getting questions from buyers that are clearly answered in my item description. No one sees the item description. It's just adding more work for the sellers who now have to answer more questions. Why wouldn't you have the item description right next to the images? Its a really bad experiment Etsy. Put it back the way it was.

3 Likes
Eclecticgoods4U
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

this test is asinine....conclude it now......what a waste of time and resources....F'ing around with sellers livelihoods.....keep in mind WE ARE YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!

4 Likes

Jump to solution

I just sent this message to Etsy support...might just get the same talking point response.  It's about the description issue, plus the available quantity issue.  Feel free to copy and paste relevant info and invite others to contact them!

I've spent endless hours on the phone to support without receiving any useful information about these issues, so I thought I'd try through email.

I have 2 shops on Etsy, but my primary shop is Terra Bella Beads associated with em2tone23@gmail.com

Etsy did a test a couple of years ago where they decided that all items over $20 would not have available quantity drop-down menus on the listing page.
As a seller of supplies that are at all different price points, quantities and sizes within single listing pages, I've had countless customers contact me to ask if I have more than one of an item.  NO ONE understands that they have to add one item to the cart, and even if they did it is extremely cumbersome to add each size to the cart, then leave the listing page to see if there are enough available for their designs.

On the message forums there are many sellers, especially of supplies, that are expressing confusion from their customers.  For every one who contacts the sellers, there may be many more who just move onto another selling venue.  Hiding the available quantity for some items but not all makes it especially confusing.  I recently had to put into my announcement header and at the top of every listing description that the item needs to be added to the cart to see the available quantity.  

This brings me to the second issue, which is the item descriptions now require a scroll and double click to access.  It's already problematic that customers don't read descriptions before purchasing, and this will make it more likely that they end up having to return items because they didn't read the details about size or other information.  Also, I put my item number in the description for my own use, and now I have to double click to get information that I need to pull the orders.  

I'm most concerned about the quantity drop-downs, whereas the other issue is frustrating but isn't losing me sales, just giving me carpal tunnel.
Please consider adding back the quantity drop down for all items in the listing page, and also in the cart so that customers have both options.

kind regards, 
Elisa Morrison
Terra Bella Beads

4 Likes
AllSeasonsLace
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Dear Etsy team, please listen to the sellers! Not every buyer will become a detective to find a description of the product. Sellers are losing sales!!!

3 Likes
PUPERITA
Crafty Poster

Jump to solution

How about ONE STAR feedback for a promotional item because the customer DID NOT SEE THE DESCRIPTION declaring that the instructions are in English?

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Here we go again! They resolved this issue and put the item description where it is supposed to be and now IT'S BACK TO BEING HIDDEN AGAIN!!! ETSY, LISTEN TO YOUR SELLERS!! WE HATE THIS! IT DOES NOTHING BUT CAUSE CUSTOMER PROBLEMS AND WE GET FEWER SALES BECAUSE THEY CAN'T FIND THE DESCRIPTIONS! If WE are not getting sales, YOU, ETSY, are not making money either!!!

PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM ONCE AND FOR ALL AND PUT THE ITEM DESCRIPTIONS WHERE THEY SHOULD BE VISIBLE TO OUR CUSTOMERS!!!!!!!!!

4 Likes

Jump to solution

what amount of F...K is happening? 

Where is the description gone?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

CAN I OPT OUT OF THIS WEIRD FEATURE, OR DO I OPT OUT OF ETSY AFTER 15 YEARS

1 Like

Jump to solution

Here we go again! This is the 3rd or 4th time they have hidden our product descriptions over the past year. Why would you make it MORE DIFFICULT for a customer to find the description of an item they want to read about and buy?  Both now and forever this "test" IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE a very bad idea!!!

2 Likes
Eclecticgoods4U
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

WTAF??? As if sales were not slow enough for most of us.....just make it even harder to shop here they say...... I am so over their shenanigans.....saw it while incognito on chrome....

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Having the same issue today 13/02/2024.

All descriptions are missing for existing listings and sold items...I need to be able to see the description of sold items as this is where I put the item's code.

1 Like
TheRainyDayShop
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

2 Likes
CuteFancies
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Huh, I stopped using the site for a couple of days cause I thought it was a bug and was waiting until it was fixed. Where I could see all the information at the flick of a scroll wheel, I now have to flick the scroll wheel, and click 2 separate rollout buttons. This is not a site improvement and seems like change for changes sake so someone at etsy can justify their do-nothing job.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.