RubyCardDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Item Description Not Appearing

Jump to solution

Not sure if anybody else is having this issue, but for the last couple of days whenever I click on an item to look at it, there is no item description showing. Not sure why this is the case. I even looked at items I have looked at previously and know they have a description.

Many thanks

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
10 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Item Description Not Appearing

Jump to solution

It's the latest Etsy test.  Scroll down below the reviews and you'll see the descriptions.

View solution in original post

3 Likes
43 Replies

Jump to solution

It's the latest Etsy test.  Scroll down below the reviews and you'll see the descriptions.

3 Likes
Poteriebonmatin
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

where you able to revert to the old set up by any chance?

1 Like
ArtellectAtelier
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Total bulls**t what was done there: a product description belongs to the picture and should not be "found" by sometimes endless scrolling through the ratings. Who has thought about this?
Why not put the product description directly under the images and the ratings in the place where "previously" was the description?

@TheVintagePineapple  schrieb:

9 Likes

Jump to solution

It's a terrible idea. Really seriously bad. BAD. Who will scroll? No one. Customers will just look for somewhere that has details about the item. They would never think to scroll down - I didn't! And why would they think it was a good idea? I hope they reverse this quick.

Just another way that Etsy is failing us - along with allowing all that mass-produced Chinese junk at inflated prices. 

6 Likes
RubyCardDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Ah thank you so much for your reply.  Hadn't spotted that it was at the bottom.  Just seen it now though

3 Likes
cathyconnolley
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Yes I am in this astoundingly stupid trial. Etsy seems to be having a laugh!!!

17 Likes

Jump to solution

I have just had a chat with a representative. Don't ask me how this happened, because a chat box just appeared when I was going through an order that I had an issue with - anyway, he assured me that this "test" with the description of our products being moved was "only visible" to the sellers, not the customers and that I was "selected" to take part in the test. I wasn't informed of this. My description just disappeared leaving me to believe my customers had to search for it elsewhere. I expressed my negative opinions and he said he would "pass them on". I hope so. I told him it was a bad idea, bad for sellers and customers. Fingers crossed that my comments to him in the chat, and here in the forums, and all of the comments from the rest of you who are experiencing this "test" will have an impact and that our shops' descriptions will be returned to where they belong. At least I was happy to have direct contact with a real person at Etsy. I love having a shop here. It has meant so much to me in my retirement to add income and to continue to be able to express myself creatively after a long career in art licensing. I couldn't just "retire", needed to continue creating, and Etsy has given me that opportunity. Hopefully, we'll get back to "normal" here soon. I at least feel reassured that my customers ARE seeing my full descriptions where they are supposed to be - clearly visible.

10 Likes

Jump to solution

@DianeKnottLLC 
Buyers are seeing it too, of course. Are you just seeing it in your shop, or in others as well? If you're looking at another shop, you're looking at it as a buyer.

It's a test. Some accounts see things normally, some do not. Mine seems to change depending on browser and date.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

"only visible" to the sellers? I don't think so. I have had a slew of questions that I have never had before because the answers are in the descriptions that they can't find. 

18 Likes

Jump to solution

I have my doubts about THAT comment too "only to the sellers". He showed me a screen shot of how my listings appear and it DID show my descriptions. I wonder how long this is going to last? I've made some changes in my listing titles and like another commentator here, am putting the blame where it belongs if I get queries. I am also mentioning this when I post my new patterns on FB, IG, Pinterest and other venues. I think we need to be proactive in this for sure!  Keep on speaking up!!

3 Likes

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue and have been emailing back-and-forth with Etsy support for a couple days. They said it might have to do with my browser, cookies and cache! They told me to clear the cookies, clear my cache, try a different browser… They are not taking any responsibility for this change on my page. It really stinks!!

I hope it is true that only the seller sees it this way. About to go ask a friend to check my shop.

7 Likes

Jump to solution

It's not your browser or your cache! We are getting different answers from different people at Etsy. 

3 Likes

Jump to solution

I hope it is true too. He showed me a screen shot of what he says my customers see and it does show my description where it is supposed to be. We are getting different answers from different contacts at Etsy. Perhaps their own staff is as confused as WE are!!

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Same issue, cleared cache, different browsers, different devices, different accounts, makes no difference.  

4 Likes

Jump to solution

@DianeKnottLLC: "I have my doubts about THAT comment too "only to the sellers". He showed me a screen shot of how my listings appear and it DID show my descriptions." That he could produce a screen shot with your listings looking "normal" proves that the test is not sellers only - unless he meant that only accounts with an active shop were included in the test which seems unlikely as it would produce skewed results. The bottom line is still that is the viewing account which is in the test not the selling account. Too bad that no one is officially saying what percentage of accounts is in the test.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

Are some people actually seeing descriptions missing, or just in the different place?

1 Like
Poteriebonmatin
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Was anyone able to reverts to the old Etsy version?
(My customers can no longer see the details description section =>it is hidden at the bottom, where no one goes)

3 Likes
weekendjewelry1
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
0 Likes

Jump to solution

Contrary to what is being said, this is visible to customers. I just received a sizeable order on dinnerware, but the buyer sent a message saying that she could not find the description and hoped the dinnerware was in good condition. I communicated with Etsy Chat and expressed my concern that if customers don't make an effort to scroll down and find the description before ordering, it will definitely increase the risk of purchases being returned for a refund. Not good.

4 Likes
eliabella
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I noticed this too just now.  For some reason the description has moved to BELOW the shop reviews!  It makes no sense.  I already get enough customers contacting me about item details that are listed in the description.  This is a horrible spot for the item description.  It really needs to be above the reviews.

2 Likes
Poteriebonmatin
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Just spoke to a support representative... there is nothing they can do on their end.
Ideally, everyone should send feedback asking for a "rollback"...
Etsy actually thinks this will somehow improve the "customer experience"... 
(...less info, more sales... Etsy assumes our customers want less product info, or something...)

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I have emailed with 2 reps. Both have sent me screen shots showing my descriptions. That's not what I see on MY pc. There is a blank space where my descriptions used to be. This is not showing on all devices and desktops. Some are ok, others are not. I can see my descriptions on my iPad where there are supposed to be but not on my desktop. Has Etsy only implemented this with certain browsers? I use Edge. All the reps are doing is explaining that they often do things as "tests". No one has said anything about how long this will last, why it is only affecting certain sellers and/or browsers, and no one has said anything about the fact that we were not asked to participate. All they do is say they "understand my concerns". SMH...I'm at a loss as to what to do now.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

email etsy with your concerns of this moving of item descriptions -  developer@etsy.zendesk.com

0 Likes

Jump to solution

This is a nightmare!!! People are messaging me now about the size of the beads, because they can't find the description! 

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.