Issue with ratings

I noticed a customer had left a 4 star rating, so messaged just to check if everything was ok with the order. She replied saying everything was amazing and she'd left 5 stars. She sent me a screenshot showing this. Yet it's showing as 4 stars when I view it.

I've just tried to have a chat with support, but he was beyond useless and just kept saying my shop has 5 stars and everything is ok. He didn't get it at all, despite me sending screenshots.

Over the last few months, on the odd occasion I've seen a 4 star rating I've messaged the customer, and all but 1 replied saying they'd clicked to give 5 stars. They've then gone back in and rectified it.

But I'm sensing a glitch in the system here somewhere. Surely I can't be the only one, has anyone else experienced something similar?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
7 Replies

Re: Issue with ratings

There is nothing wrong with a 4 star review.  I would never contact a customer about 4 stars - there is always the possibility that when contacted they might lower the number of stars "just because".  "You don't like my 4 stars?  Let's see how you like my 2 stars?"

It's often been said (and it's true) that some people never give 5 stars and that is their right to do so.  I don't think it's a glitch but knowing Etsy it could be or not.

1 Like

@EnchantedWishesUK , I've seen something similar on a couple of occasions over the last 2-3 months but it seemed to correct by itself after a day; don't know why, maybe there's a system reset after midnight or every 24 hours (just guessing).  For now I'm just watching to see if it becomes more widespread or a common occurrence.   

1 Like

A recent review was a 4 star.  The customer was very happy with the figurine purchase, but would have liked it to have its original box.  It was a vintage item; most of my vintage items do not have a box.  It was not advertised as having a box.  So now my perfect 5 star seller rating has been reduced to 4.9.  That's not right that I'm penalized for this.

0 Likes

@JanetsCrafts you are not 'penalized' for that review. Your shop is still a 5-star shop.

In fact the buyer has done you a great service. By having 4 stars instead of 5, she has ensured future buyers will read her review - which speaks to your product quality and service.

I never read the 5-star reviews ... it's 5-stars, what are they going to say? I read the 4- and less because I see them as usually more 'honest'. 

1 Like
BlueAgateFarms
Conversation Maker

Yep.  People are disappointing.  We do our best.  I do not think the average customer thinks a 4 star is bad.  We think it is devastating. 

1 Like

Personally I would never message a buyer about a 4 star review. I just feel it would feel like nagging and it would make the customer feel uncomfortable to answer questions about it. But anything that is a 3 star review or below, I always message and resolve the issue and they usually update / change the review. I would never know if a buyer meant to put a 5 star review when showing as a 4, but it has never happened with a 3

0 Likes
HauteGemsDallas
Conversation Maker

As a buyer, I thought even 3 stars was pretty good, like a B. I gave three stars once and the seller sent me a completely irrate message. I thought they were crazy. Now I understand (somewhat, the message was still strange.)

OP is there any chance these buyers are screenshotting you when they go back into the review (like to edit) to avoid confrontation? 

ETA: had the seller sent a calm email explaining, I would have changed the review. I didn't get this post nested properly. It was supposed to be under the comment that buyers don't think 4 stars is bad. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.