Interesting Test

I just stumbled across  what I suppose is an interesting test. I did a search of one of my best keyword terms to see where a listing lie and boom--when hovering over  photo of mine or anyone else's photo it immediately "flips" to the 2nd photo !    So now we really do need to have more than one photo in a listing--plus you better make sure that 2nd photo is as good as the first.

Actually--I rather like this so that if you have variations and place your photos correctly someone searching can see more than one item--or if no variations you can give a good view like front and back.

Is anyone else that posts in here  in this test?    I know you will have to run look and I need to fix dinner so see ya'll a bit later!

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
15 Replies
BirdsongEmporium
Conversation Maker

Re: Interesting Test

I've not seen this if it is test but then I've been a bit turned off by search lately as it has been doing something quite odd for months. When I search I will see a first row come up and in that quick look it seems to be exactly the type of things I'm looking for and then boom, the search immediately changes to something else instead and the results I had seen so briefly are completely gone and what is left instead isn't nearly as good as what I had briefly been shown. This keeps happening and is really turning me off wanting to do searches here.

1 Like

@BirdsongEmporium 

I haven't done many searches lately either for pretty much the same reasons--as I said--I only did this to see where a certain listing showed for me . 

1 Like

I have seen the video if I hoover over some pictures when I'm on somebody else's listing under other sellers listings below in the pictures show. 

1 Like

@DianesK9Creations 

This is NOT the video--this is separate and different. I only "caught it" because MY listings are doing this and I have NO videos.

0 Likes

Yeah, they are probably doing this for listings that don't have videos.

1 Like
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

I've been seeing this for a while. I am not a fan.

If I'm not interested in an item, making it squirm in front of me doesn't add anything to its attractiveness.

5 Likes

They should spend their money in more marketing!

4 Likes

I've seen this test lately as well, I'm not a huge fan. Yes it means your 2nd photo should be just as good as the first, but then in optimising for sales all photos should be good enough (quality wise) to be a 1st one. Still it's not as bad as seeing the video as the hover-over, because most things I look at (vintage) do not have great videos. I shudder for the day when all thumbnails on page 1 are videos...and worse, move on their own!! yikes

4 Likes

I wonder if this is a way to include some interactivity into the search for listings that don't have a video in that second slot.

2 Likes

Yes - I think that's what they're doing, so every listing does "something" when you hover over it

1 Like
michellepatterns
Conversation Maker

I'm not a fan of how it does this with the video listings, so this doesn't sound like the good kind of interesting to me.  

0 Likes

I'm not seeing it, but that would be better than the videos playing when you hover, in my opinion.

0 Likes

I saw it about a week ago; just assumed it was a new feature and not a test.  Honestly my feeling is that all our photos should be of a good quality otherwise we risk an unhappy buyer, but maybe this will motivate people to purchase if they don't have to actually click onto the listing and mess up their "based on your recent views" selection.  Time will tell.

0 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

I've not seen this yet.  I do see the one where you hover over it and it shows the video.  But not where it switches to the second still photo.

0 Likes

I'm finally back and just had a second thought. We know that in "mature" the first photo has to have all the "bits" covered or blurred. Now that they are doing this will the 2nd photo also be like this? (blurred) or will it be like a "flasher" spreading his coat open! LOL

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.