How to tell scam from legit messages from Etsy

Hi, I feel I'm in a MUCH too big jungle of information, and can't seem to find my way.. 
Is there a easy way to tell legit messages from Etsy from scam? 
I am trying to solve some issues, but have no idea what to trust..

Will be very thankful for an easy answer (overwhelmed brain).

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
15 Replies

Re: How to tell scam from legit messages from Etsy

Real messages from etsy will be in the "from etsy" section of your inbox. It was specifically created to solve the issue of differentiating.

I hear it's not visible on the app, so go to a browser or use your computer.

7 Likes

Messages from etsy will appear in a section called "from etsy" in your message inbox. Unfortunately, that is only available to view from a web browser and the app doesn't have that capability.

Read this announcement from etsy regarding scam/spam messages:

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000343128-How-to-Handle-Scams-and-Suspicious-Messages

2 Likes

These scammers are relentless

0 Likes
Vintorious
Community Maker

As above: the "From Etsy" subfolder in messages is where all legitimate internal messages will be. And don't believe someone who tries to tell you that the folder "isn't working." It is. 

Also, look carefully at any email addresses that say they are from Etsy. Don't fall for a weird version of the "etsy.com" domain name.

0 Likes

0 Likes

I've  been very confused as well & am so glad I found page. At about lunchtime I had a messages one from someone saying they'd placed an order, the money had been taken but their order isn't showing. The other message says it's from Etsy technical support & the name is "Etsy Staff Etsy Staff", I tried following the advice in the message but my message wouldn't send. I spent a lot of time trying to find out what the problem was! Thank you,  I have now found the from Etsy message folder & it's empty. Am thinking it might be a scam.

0 Likes

Definitely a scam, put it in spam again can only be done through Web not app.

0 Likes

@JaneRsCardsandCrafts 

"Am thinking it might be a scam."

Not "might be" - it most definitely was scam.  Glad you avoided the it.  You couldn't respond to the message, because Etsy had already taken action against the scammer's account.  Unfortunately, even more will pop up in its place.

Very glad you found the help by reading the forums and found how to located the "from Etsy" folder. It's good to check them regularly because the scams keep evolving.

1 Like
michellepatterns
Conversation Maker

The name is a huge red flag.  Why would etsy call themselves "Etsy Staff Etsy Staff"?  Pay attention to the wording and when there are typos and odd language, that is a scam.  

0 Likes
Vintorious
Community Maker

Definitely a scam attempt.

When a customer has a problem with their order, it's usually because their payment method isn't verified. When that happens, you get a message on the order itself saying "Ship when payment is complete." 

There is no "I bought it but I can't see that it sold."  They can't see anything other than the listing, and if the listing is there, no order was placed. If their card or account was charged, that isn't your problem to solve, regardless. 

Next time, tell them "How distressing for you. Call your bank immediately." And mark it as spam. (OR just mark it as spam and don't worry about it.)

1 Like

yea I have had a few of those ones too. And they are always from a different name. It’s a scam as well

0 Likes

Scam messages are easy to spot:

• Are not sent from the "From Etsy" folder.
  • Do not show the yellow "From Etsy" badge.
  • Do not show the little orange "E" badge sitting outside the icon walls. Nobody can copy this.
  • Usually use the Etsy logo as the sender icon, which is easily copied. 

If the sender's icon is the Etsy logo and nothing else, it's a scam. 

0 Likes

If English is your "first language" these scams are pretty easy to spot as the syntax is usually "off" so the message sounds (reads) a bit strange . Also etsy always addresses you by name, they do not say simply "Hello", "Hi" or other generic greetings. There are usually other little tip offs like ending with "kind regards" , etc. (which Etsy never does. 

and of course the biggie as stated above is if it IS from Etsy it will be in your "from Etsy" link in your message center.

2 Likes
UppNorthEh
Community Maker

or call you "Dear"   

uuuggghhh.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.