Hi guys. Sorry if the topic is not allowed or if it sounds absurd. I've been mulling over that question, though.

I do know how to set up a promo code, but as you know, when we do, that applies to all potential buyers. I already have that set up on my entire shop. Now, I want to give a special discount (higher than my store-wide sales discount) for cancer-stricken moms or families with one. You see-- I've been in that Big C group since 2019 and I know firsthand how much more difficult life becomes when one gets it. We stop buying "wants" because the finances get allocated to the fight against cancer. I just want to give them a chance to buy something for their mom at cost (zero profit on my side). 

But how do I do it while ensuring that it is targeted to the right people only? I mean, I am aware that many healthy people are going to take it if they see that it's available. If I announce it on my store and the target audience sees it, should they reach out to me and show proof of their mom's illness?

Or is there a better way?

JustMeToo
Community Maker

Re: How to set up special promo for cancer-stricken moms or families who have one

@EarlLyndon   I think your heart is in the right place, but etsy isn't the place to offer anything like that.  Every scammer would come out of the woodwork, and of course, you can't ask for proof.  Much too intrusive.  Perhaps locally, you can offer something similar?  Good luck!

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
3 Likes

Re: How to set up special promo for cancer-stricken moms or families who have one

Thank you for this suggestion.

1 Like

@EarlLyndon ... you're heart is definitely in the right place, but agree that you will need to find a better way!  We had a recent death in the family from inflammatory breast cancer.  We have specific items in our shop that (handmade with donated materials from her or Vintage given to us from her) we donate a % of each sale to Breast Cancer research.  I do state it in our shop because I would like for buyers to know that their purchase actually can make a small difference.  

2 Likes

I am sorry to hear about the recent loss of a family member.

And thank you for your kind words.

1 Like
RiverCityJAC
Conversation Maker

Better to set up across the board donation of a portion of every sale to International Red Cross, Doctors Without Borders, World Kitchen . . .

0 Likes

But don't use those trademarks (the words) anywhere in your shop/listings without permission from the charity. 

Some may have legal advice on how, when, why you can use their name and in what format/context, on their sites. 

Best to check first.   

0 Likes
DragoninKnots
Conversation Maker

You might try donating some products to an organization that works with cancer patients. Be sure to ask them first to see if the donation would be beneficial.

This would be less problematic than figuring out who has cancer, etc.

Or offer a Mother's Day coupon in honor of those dealing with cancer and just let everyone use it.

2 Likes

Thank you for your suggestion.

I am already offering a shop-wide, monthlong Mothers Day Sale for everyone to take. But I would still get a few pennies from each discounted sale.

I just thought that I could offer the moms with cancer something they might like at cost.

1 Like
MaggieandRose
Conversation Maker

I find it mortifying enough standing in the bra shops filling out the VAT forms for ‘post-surgery’ bras. I was told they can’t offer them without the VAT because everyone would buy them. I mean seriously if everyone wants an ugly, ill fitting bra with a polo neck and pockets , let them! At least it would cut down on the embarrassment factor. No one ever asks for proof, they’re not allowed. 

4 Likes
TastefulArtisan
Conversation Maker

You sound like you have a good heart OP. Generous and kind but to do what you'd like is impossible.

Others have suggested donating items to a Cancer Center which is a wonderful idea. There is a lady I network with (outside of Etsy) that makes candy cane reindeer & angels from the cancer center, the children's wards and for a nursing home. The people who get them always appreciate them. She calls them Pamela's Angels. Named after her daughter who died of cancer when she was 20. This lady has been doing this same thing every year for over 25 years.

I'd think something like that would be a lovely way to spread the love without involving Etsy. (or their fees)

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing about Pamela and her mom.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.