How to Authenticate now?

My cell phone recently died that had the phone number I used to receive an authentication text in order to sign into my account. I didn’t have money to get a new phone, but I qualified for one of those government issued phones, and it came with its own phone number. My old phone is where I had my email accounts, and when I try to log into my email connected to this Etsy shop, the text code to phone pops up. 

When I came to log into my Etsy after my phone died, it showed that I needed to log in. Apparently I had this tab up still on my iPad because I was using forums before all that. I wanted to come ask how to update my info so I can get into my shop before this randomly or accidentally signs out. Especially since Etsy is usually so hard to get in touch with.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
6 Replies

Re: How to Authenticate now?

@PocketsFullofEarth: If you are referring to two factor authorization (2FA), you were given the opportunity to save backup codes that can be used in place of the one provided via authorization text.

"... it came with its own phone number" You should see if you can transfer your old number to the new phone. Many carriers have a mechanism in place to do this.

1 Like

This reminded me that I killed the laptop that had my backup codes saved, so I just had to turn off my 2FA and turn it back on to get a new set of codes (as far as I know this is the only way to regenerate them because it warns you only get them once). 

Many times you can only transfer a phone number when staying with the same company. Getting a government issued phone isn't likely to qualify to transfer the old number. 

OP, I think your only option is to contact support and see if they can help you. There is a possibility they will need to close this shop and you may need to start over with a new shop. But I don't know for sure. 

2 Likes

@BagmakerSupply @I had forgotten about these codes. I do have them written down. Hopefully they will work.

1 Like

If you can get in on your iPad you can turn off your 2FA and then enable it again with your new number. I have had to do this. Make sure you save your backup codes. I was totally locked out and Etsy had to deactivate my 2FA for me.

1 Like

When I just turned off my 2FA I had to enter a code in order to do so. 

2 Likes

@audreytherese Really? Well that will make it more difficult. I guess since I had Etsy turn mine off it is different. @PocketsFullofEarth  If changing the number on your phone to your old one doesn't work, and you didn't save your codes, you will most likely have to contact Etsy as suggested by Audrey.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.