Ok, so when I first got the option to opt-in to Etsy's Mother's Day sale on my dashboard, it said Etsy would cover the discount. The sale has been running in my shop successfully since April 1st, and everything was going well, but now a recent $120 sale I got only deposited $95 into my payment account (and that was BEFORE taking out all of Etsy's fees/tax).

When I noticed something was off on my account statement, I contacted customer service, and the agent insists that the discount code used (MOTHERSDAY24) was NOT an official Etsy sale, and therefore was not covered by Etsy. He told me that I had set up this sale and discount code separately, but I definitely did not; the ONLY sale I have running is the Etsy one I opted into!!! Also, the previous orders I've gotten during the sale HAVE been covered, so why would those have been covered by Etsy if it wasn't their discount?

I seriously feel like I'm being gaslit by this customer service dude, and he's asking for a screenshot or other "proof" that I opted into this mother's day sale event, which of course I don't have because I didn't think anything like this would happen. How do I proceed from here?

ElementalMagicks
Inspiration Seeker

Re: HELP, customer service insists Mother's Day sales event is not covered by Etsy?

Jump to solution

You have some very low priced items that include shipping.  If someone bought an 8 dollar item from you you'd only recieve like 6 dollars and then is your shipping more than 6 dollars?  Even if it's less than 6 dollars you also have to think about how much it cost you to make the item.  

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
ElementalMagicks
Inspiration Seeker

Re: HELP, customer service insists Mother's Day sales event is not covered by Etsy?

Jump to solution
  • So you mean 95 was the amount the customer paid then?  So your listing said the item was $90 and then I'm guessing the other $5 was the tax they paid.  So you received 68 from the sale.   Whatever it will it cost for you to ship it deduct that and then deduct what it cost for you to make it.  If the end amount is worth your time or even if it's not you might want to go through with it since it will help your shop make more sales.    Edit - I'm sorry you already answered this 
0 Likes

Jump to solution

For most packages I've shipped out, the cost has been $5. those $8 items are things I resell, so I didn't make them. Etsy's transaction and payment processing fees (10%) would only take $0.8 off of that. Average, one of those items costs me about $0.20 -- so I'm still making a little under $3 per sale for those items. I purposely have these things in my shop as an alternative option for people who either don't prefer wire-wrapped jewelry, or who can't afford the higher priced items

EDIT::: I was made aware that reselling items isn't allowed on Etsy and I have now removed those items! My shop is primarily wire-wrapped jewelry that is handmade by me. 

0 Likes
LastCentury
Community Maker

Jump to solution

"those $8 items are things I resell, so I didn't make them."

what do you mean you resell them? If you don't handmake them yourself, they are not allowed to be sold here.

Handmade BY YOU, vintage over 20 years old & supplies. And those rings are not supplies or vintage.

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024112614

1 Like
nineteen27
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@LastCentury 

i should have looked at the shop.

@CorvidCreationsShop 

you have those rings listed as handmade.

they are absolutely not allowed on etsy.

in any category.

1 Like

Jump to solution

@LastCenturyThank you for making me aware of that; I was under the impression that we could -- I see tons of shops selling things they clearly didn't make and I'm relatively new to Etsy so I'm not super educated on it.

Now that I know, I will remove those listings ASAP!

@nineteen27 Yes, I'm aware of that now and am removing the listings, when I listed them I was going to select "someone else made it" but the pop up I got said that that getting things from a supplier didn't count for that category.

0 Likes
LastCentury
Community Maker

Jump to solution

I'm glad to hear it. Please don't just go by what others are doing on Etsy. It's a great way to get your shop shut down by etsy. And we have certainly read the sad threads where sellers wonder why that happens to them when they haven't followed the TOUs.

Your shop is nice, you don't need to cheapen it with low $ items.

1 Like
ElementalMagicks
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Okay that's good I didn't want to make accusations 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

"To participate in an upcoming sales event, schedule a sale to run during the sales period. You can pick the listings you want included in your sale, or run a sale in your whole shop for this sales event."

This says nothing about Etsy covering anything.  If you want to be included in the Mother's day sale , you run a sale and hope Etsy somehow features you or at least includes you in a MD sale "group". Nothing about them covering/paying for anything?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@LastCentury Thank you; if there's one thing I've learned from this post it's to read and double-read everything thoroughly, LOL x.x My shop now has only things that are handmade by me, which was most of it anyway. I only added those cheaper items because I wanted to offer options for every price range. Lesson learned!

1 Like
ElementalMagicks
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Oh so you're saying these amounts that you had deposited into your bank account.  Yeah these amounts aren't specifically your earnings from each sale.  Like when you said you received 68 dollars for the item that was 90 dollars either that amount was from a different sale or there were other deductions like listing fees or etsy marketing.  Even if you're not running ads there are also off site ads.  I've only had a few sales from off site ads so I don't think you'd be likely to already have one but they take 15% for low volume sales.  I like them because they only take money if you make a sale.  Also I wouldnt think of the sales taxes as money that is taken from your sale because it's not.  Look at the pre tax amount and use that.  

0 Likes
ElementalMagicks
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Your sales wouldn't be deposited into your account before fees are taken out also these orders did each person buy multiple items?  Or did multiple people buy the necklaces that are symbols?  I wondering since you sold mostly the symbols have you thought of making more?  Also your rings your have only one size.  You can make more sizes available and then make the processing time for however much time it takes you to make it 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.