AmoreTreasure
Conversation Maker

GET IT CUSTOM MADE Ads in Etsy Search for Vintage???

I often search vintage.  (When "vintage" is the first word in a search you are automatically placed in the "vintage" filter.)  Not sure if this is a test or not, but now when I'm searching vintage, Etsy now inserts an ad that takes up the entire 4th row of results with a big heading "GET IT CUSTOM MADE". Under this is "From special sizes to original designs—message these sellers to have them create something unique for you." Then a row of items with a button underneath "Request Custom Order".  How brain dead is this?!?  There is already a credibility problem on Etsy due to resellers categorizing items under "Vintage" that are brand spanking new, unaltered pieces that come straight from Aliexpress and now this?  This is just adding to the problem and creating more skepticism that items are actually vintage on this site!   This is pretty simple, developers.  If the search is being filtered to "Vintage" bypass the "GET IT CUSTOM MADE" row.  This is a 5 minute fix.  Do better!

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
9 Likes
12 Replies
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Re: GET IT CUSTOM MADE Ads in Etsy Search for Vintage???

I realize we all get different results. But I typed "vintage purple crystal rhinestone" into the Search Bar.  I didn't get anything saying to Get It Custom Made.  There was a Banner at the top, "Shopping For Your Big Day? Explore Weeing Essentials" (with an arrow which is clickable).
So maybe this is another test?

2 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

"Explore Weeing Essentials"?

Is that your typo? or theirs?  Either way that is pretty funny.  At least to someone with a 7 year old's sense of humor:)))

And I'm seeing those custom made ads in vintage.

4 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Ah shoot, my typo, LOL!  It's supposed to be "wedding essentials". Thanks for catching that. 

ETA: I have a 7 year old's humor as well:)

1 Like
AmoreTreasure
Conversation Maker

I'm guessing that this is a test then.  

0 Likes

@AmoreTreasure  - I've noticed the same thing however it doesn't appear on all of my search terms, just certain ones.  The "request custom order" on vintage items is the last thing I ever expected to see in search results for anything truly vintage. 

Then the addition of the "Review Spotlight"  "Here is a selection of four-star and five-star reviews from customers who were delighted with the products they found in this category." This is right below page number links in the search results. Yet I'm searching for "vintage" & all of the reviews are for POD t-shirts or other new but personalized gift items. 

1 Like
UppNorthEh
Community Maker

I have always got custom requests for vintage items even without this prompting from etsy.  Vintage monogrammed linens get requests for their initial.  A satin eiderdown I sold many years ago still gets requests for custom orders.  Vintage clothing gets requests for a different size.  etc etc.

0 Likes
AmoreTreasure
Conversation Maker

Well prepare to get a heck of a lot more.

2 Likes

@AmoreTreasure: You need to give up on the concept of Etsy search providing the results that you expect. Due to "personalized searches" there are many many factors that affect listing placement and the relative weight of each factor probably changes constantly. Even exact word matches to your title no longer ensure that you will appear on page 1. Etsy is proud of the fact that they provide search results which they think you will actually purchase regardless of what you actually searched for.

2 Likes
AmoreTreasure
Conversation Maker

I am not talking about what items are being shown based on keywords entered in search here at all!  I'm talking about the "get it custom made filter" appearing at all for the vintage category not about what items they're showing.  This is simply lack of understanding, laziness, or ineptitude on the part of the developers here.  As a former developer, here's the pseudo code, Etsy:

If category NOT = "Vintage"

Display "Get it Custom Made"

2 Likes

@AmoreTreasure: You are missing Etsy's logic - some testing somewhere has shown them that including the custom made filter increases Etsy's sales and that is the driver, even if some shop's see that shop's sales drop as a result.

0 Likes
AmoreTreasure
Conversation Maker

@BagmakerSupply, I am aware of the logic behind Etsy's tests.  If they are testing this it doesn't mean that it is a test they found beneficial. That's the whole point of testing, for them to determine if it is beneficial.  And even if they do find the this "Get it Custom Made" advertising to be beneficial to the bottom line overall I'm saying that if they used an ounce of logic and 5 minutes coding time they would remove it from vintage searches and they would see that it doesn't negatively impact shops that sell vintage and, therefore, would be more beneficial to the site overall.

1 Like

Entered "vintage seed sower" into the search bar. Since I can no longer filter down this more specific search term to 'garden tools' I opt to sort by price - high to low - so that maybe I'll see more relevant items. (Less in the way of seed packets, etc.)

Half way down these sorted results I see "Get it Custom Made" "From special sizes to original designs—message these sellers to have them create something unique for you."
Below this I see two listings for baskets, two listings for actual vintage seed sowers, one listing for a book (I assume on gardening?)

I click on the "Request Custom Order" link under one of the seed sowers. Doing this brings me to the shop's main page & then the usual messaging window pop-up appears. 
I'm advised the shop owner usually replies in a few hours. I can message them, though there is no link to the listing that Etsy tells me can be customized. There is no mention of customization anywhere.

Yes, I can see the shop owner thinking I'm a confused shopper - why would I message them about customizing a vintage seed sower?

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.