TagTeams
Conversation Maker

Frustration with resellers

There are several posts here on resellers, but I’m not convinced that anything is being done on a large scale.
Too many items are listed as “Homemade” or “Vintage” that are currently available in stores.  It over-saturates search results, making the rest of us unseen, & often irritates buyers...that go to other venues for purchases.  It even keeps me from buying here. *sigh*

Oddly enough, moderators jump right in when someone gets off topic, yet they're not available when we (their business base) post honest comments/complaints about this site.

I report obvious infractions, but to what end?  The bots have clearly been on holiday.

[Complaint over]................................
                                                         ........maybe.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
6 Likes
3 Replies
CuriousityShop
Conversation Maker

Re: Frustration with resellers

If it make you feel better, report the reseller with link to the site that you think they bought FROM. (Sometimes the seller HERE, had their picture stolen and someone THERE uses it. ) What may be more satisfying is reporting infringers. People who make Disney items for instance can be reported to tips@disneyantipiracy.com .  Or if you find someone using a celeb photo or movie picture, recent cartoon, etc, look up who owns the rights. Report it. Those are things Etsy WON'T do.

2 Likes
anythinggoeshere
Conversation Maker

The resellers are joining faster than they are being removed. Etsy is not making a full on effort to remove them.  The resellers are winning and taking over Etsy.

4 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

There are hundreds of threads here complaining about resellers. Reselling went unchecked for years. Recently however Etsy has been removing listings and closing stores for violating the handmade policy. We know this because many legit handmade items have been removed in the (flawed) process and the sellers have come to the forum for help. Unfortunately there are still many many listings which have not been removed yet. I can assure you that many handmade sellers are just as unhappy about this situation as you are - but what can we do about it? Etsy is still a great place to sell. It's also probable that Etsy would not be the big company it is today without those extra sales. Perhaps it's a necessary evil!? What I do is try not to let it bother me too much and pour all my energy into making my shop as good as I can. Report the resellers if you want but I wouldn't waste previous time looking for them (although KitKats are a good place to start). You also have to remember that just because you find photos here and on AliExpress/Temu/Wish doesn't necessarily mean the Etsy seller is buying from there to resell - they may have had their photos stolen (it has even happened to me). So we have to be careful before we start pointing fingers and indeed this is why it's difficult for Etsy to determine the handmade nature of all the listings here. Sometimes it's blatantly obvious, others it's not so easy, especially if they use outsourced production partners.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.