Frustration with Etsy: Listing Unfairly Removed

Hey everyone,

I recently ran into a frustrating problem with Etsy and I'm hoping to find some advice or solidarity from others who might have experienced something similar.

Here's the deal: I had a listing for my handmade plush toys that suddenly disappeared without any prior warning. When I contacted Etsy support to figure out what happened, they initially said it was restricted in certain countries. But after digging deeper, they told me they removed it because they didn't think it was handmade.

Now, this came as a total surprise because every single one of my products is handmade by me with a lot of care and attention to detail. Etsy suggested that I could create a new listing if I believed it was taken down unfairly. But it's not that simple.

I've spent the last two years working really hard to get my products to rank well in Etsy's search results. Being at the top of those search results has been crucial for my business, and now with my listing gone, I'm worried about losing that visibility.

Starting over with a new listing means starting from scratch and potentially spending a lot of money to regain the visibility I've worked so hard for. It feels incredibly unfair and disheartening.

Has anyone else had a similar issue with Etsy? If you have, did you manage to appeal the decision or find a way to resolve the situation? It's frustrating to feel like Etsy doesn't appreciate the hard work and dedication we put into our handmade businesses.

Any advice or insights would be really appreciated. Thanks for listening.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
7 Likes
20 Replies

Re: Frustration with Etsy: Listing Unfairly Removed

@MauaGang: There have been many reports in this forum of what appear to be "false positives" for violations of Etsy policy. Based on other posts, it does seem that Etsy is often unclear to the exact reason for the deactivation, or even the type of deactivation.

"... they removed it because they didn't think it was handmade." Many deactivations appear to be the result of reverse image searches and the photos being found on sites like AliExpress.

"... it was restricted in certain countries." Additionally, whenever a shop markets an item for children (as you do) then the shop must make sure that the item meets all applicable laws, regulations, and certifications, not just where you are but also everywhere you ship to.

2 Likes

I've made sure to comply with all plush toy regulations, adhering closely to the guidelines set by both Etsy and the British Toy Association. What's particularly frustrating is that they don't even reach out to the seller before removing listings; it's done abruptly without any prior warning or opportunity for clarification. It seems these actions are driven by poorly written algorithms rather than human oversight. Frankly, I find Etsy's support system to be of little help most of the time.

4 Likes
Chrysalism
Conversation Maker

Same boat- handmade listing removed by bots due to stolen images on AliExpress. They took my star seller away even though it's the only "violation" I've ever had in 12 years. I'm on day 16 of no reply on my help ticket. I've spoken with the call center 20+ times- they are totally useless and have given me so many different answers. I sent a ton of photo proof of my making process but who knows how long it will take to get the listing reinstated. I posted lots of comments on Etsy's social media accounts yesterday- I guess we'll see if that sparks any action. Good luck!

8 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

@Chrysalism 

i have always loved your shop : )

did you file the DMCA take-down notice and have your images removed from ali-express?

2 Likes

Wow, it's both reassuring and frustrating to hear that others share similar experiences. It's truly baffling that Etsy struggles to manage its own flawed algorithm. Their support has been consistently unhelpful in my experience as well. Each time I've reached out in the past few years, they either couldn't provide assistance or offered contradictory answers

2 Likes
Chrysalism
Conversation Maker

@nineteen27 Thanks! I wasn't able to file a takedown because the Aliexpress listing is deactivated and the shop shut down. It still shows in google search but is essentially gone from Aliexpress.

0 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

@Chrysalism 

you need to have it removed from google images.

https://support.google.com/legal/troubleshooter/1114905?hl=en

scroll down... click google search and then just follow the instructions.

6 Likes

@Chrysalism @The good news is that the shop on Ali is gone. I shudder to think of what a Ali buyer would have received…a laughable case of what I ordered vs. what I got. I keep hoping that’ll be the downfall of sites and shops that steal images: clear cut fraud. 

2 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

@DivineCrossings 

do you watch those videos?

hilarious.

2 Likes

@nineteen27 @I absolutely love those! Some of them have me laughing so hard tears are streaming and I can’t breathe. LOL! https://www.boredpanda.com/online-shopping-fails-scams/

4 Likes

I have seen other shops appeal these unfair takedowns and get legit listings reinstated. However, it's never been a quick process to get a real human involved. It often takes weeks and sometimes months. And even then, there was one shop I specifically remember that it took almost 2 months to get her bestselling item reinstated, then within another month or so they took it down again and the process started all over. 

To be perfectly honest, I'd spend more time working on building a following outside Etsy and your own standalone website. I know you already have one, I remember looking at it after your last post. I personally think your time would be better spent building up that site and directing people there. With Etsy's ever-increasing automation, I don't believe this is going to get better. They see too many benefits and mass takedowns of legit non-compliant products that they're not going to stop using it for the few mistakes it makes in the process. 

6 Likes

Appreciate your input. I've consistently relied on Etsy to attract new customers, finding it more cost-effective than utilizing Google Ads and similar avenues. In the meantime I created new listing

0 Likes

If Etsy sees you created a new listing there is a chance they could shut your shop completely down. I'd be real careful with how you proceed. 

I understand that you've relied on Etsy to attract new customers, but I'm saying you should change your focus and try to bring in new people through other avenues. Short videos are a great way to attract new clientele. I'll be honest, while I'm still on Facebook, I really only use it to watch videos now, mostly from the content creators that I enjoy watching (artists like Peculiarly Ashley and Andrea Nelson). I think your products have the potential to be intriguing and can easily amass a following with the right videos. *Just editing to add - I don't just watch them, I have absolutely purchased Ashley's online watercolor class because of her videos. 

1 Like

Good point. Reels are the best these days to get more followers. BTW Esty recommended to create the new listing 

0 Likes

Could it have been if you were presenting it as a child's toy and they didn't think it was "safe enough"?  With Etsy sometimes there is no telling. If they said not handmade I would check the photos and see if they have been stolen and used elsewhere on the web and got taken down by the "Photo bot". The fact that  there are so many apparent false positives for not handmade and no QUICK way or sometimes ANY WAY to dispute the takedown is shameful on Etsy's part. If what "you" are selling is not handmade you are going to take the hit, not try to dispute to prove that you handmade it..becasue you can't!

3 Likes
TinTeddy
Community Maker

The only issue I can see is that you don't have the full physical address of the business in the Seller Details area - which is required to trade legally from the UK.

I am impressed that your toys are properly tested and labelled. Kudos to you. Sadly, so many Etsy sellers aren't doing this (presumably because they are unaware of the legal requirements to do so).

2 Likes

this is strange as I am pretty sure the address was added! Etsy never mentioned this, where can I add this?

0 Likes

I can see where Etsy might make the error. Doing a search with the photos shows that one you have listed can be found at Walmart .   

If Etsy can find photos of items elsewhere, they are tending to jump that the items are not handmade.  For the one they removed have you searched for the photos elsewhere?

0 Likes

which one can be found in Walmart? Thanks!

0 Likes

Yes.  Unfortunately Etsy relies heavily on bots which seem to be poorly programed.  I had a Etsy legal item taken down.  Etsy staff is not always familiar with laws or copyright information which is expected.  But getting attention from the correct department is time consuming and sometimes impossible.  Rather than work on the situation further and spending time I don't have, I relisted the product.   I did so after I removed the word Etsy had wrongfully deemed a copyright which was public domaine.  It was frustrating as the new listing lost the links and status.  But it worked and the listing is doing fine now.

On the other hand, I am glad Etsy is working on the extreme site problem with taking down illegal items.  This is positive and so needed.  It's also the reason I didn't get overly upset.  The negative is that some legal items are being targeted with them.  The problem is Etsy's lack of customer service or seller care. A lot of sellers are experiencing this.....I think vintage sellers are having the most difficult time with it.  I'm so sorry to hear this has happened to you.

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.